Brief Synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
1) Bullet header from Hartley gave us the perfect start. We were outstanding in the first 10 minutes and could have scored more.

2) Northampton came into the game a bit more from then up to half-time, hitting the post and blazing a good chance over the bar. Hartley put in a couple of important blocks too.

3) Kellett's goal - sublime. Defending was poor yes but to have that much skill and composure at the end was a joy to watch.

4) Chris Wilder will be seething with his defence I'm sure - the 2nd goal they could have done better as I said, the first goal was a free header from a corner, and the 3rd goal was woeful. Well set up by Reid and good finish from Lewi but the defending was properly awful.

5) Then Nelson and O'Connor left a ball for each other and Northampton pounced. Then we panicked. Mind you Banton could have made it 4-1 but bottled the chance big time. Northampton's 2nd - only probably Jake Cole would have saved that, purely because he is such a "on his line" keeper (which is normally a problem not a strength). But can't criticise Luke for it.

6) The last few minutes were torture to watch. Northampton had chances, we were desperate in our defending, and one chance in particular came - it looks like a poor spill from Luke but it was one of those were a Northampton player nipped in front of him and looked like he'd just get a touch on it, so Luke couldn't know what to do. In the ensuing scramble Nelson went down with a broken elbow. As others have pointed out, this probably helped us as it gave us a chance to regroup - Luke in particular was geeing his team-mates up during the delay.

7) I love how many people it took to physically stop Nelson from coming back on - you could see he was desperate to. Fantastic passion.

8) We held out for a crucial win - scoring as many goals from open play in that game as we had done in the entire season away from home before that. It puts us right back in the pack - had we drawn that game we'd not only be 8th now but psychologically we'd be finished.

McCormick 6 - Strange kicking, always seemed to be towards one isolated player as opposed to where we had more strength in numbers. Some good claims from crosses though.

Nelson 7 - One awful mix-up with O'Connor for their goal, don't know who shouted for who but it looks like neither did - you feel Nelse should be more commanding there.
O'Connor 8 - Very very composed with the ball - used it excellently.
Hartley 8 - Good goal, a couple of great blocks and generally commanding performance. A few poor passes out from the back though.

Mellor 7 - Beat his man a few times and stayed fairly disciplined. Good game if not spectacular.
Cox 8 - Superb. The odd stray pass but he's so good at getting out of tight spots.
Blizzard 6 - Not really an away game player - more defensive duties mean that his serious flaws get exposed more. Still good with the ball though, I hope his injury isn't too serious.
Bobby Reid 9 MOTM - This boy is really something special. Such a fantastic range of passing, confidence on the ball, skill, pace, energy... he was even intercepting and picking up loose balls brilliantly as well. Fantastic.
Kellett 9 - Better end product, in particular his incredible solo goal where despite some iffy defending he did brilliantly. Northampton left him in acres of space in the first half on many occasions and he utilised that well. What impressed me most though was his defending - don't know if someone's had a word with him or whatever, but his awareness and particularly his positioning (he didn't get drawn into silly areas in the middle of the pitch when we didn't have the ball) impressed me a lot. If he can keep that up, we've got ourselves a damn good player.

Reuben Reid 7 - Nothing worked for him in the first half but he certainly put a shift in, and a nice assist for the 3rd goal too.
Alessandra 6 - Worked hard as always. Appallingly wasteful in the first half, but as bad as the defending was, his finish for the 3rd was nice and composed.

Subs:
Norburn 8 - Barely wasted a pass. We won't miss Dom too much if Norburn can come in and replicate that kind of performance on a regular basis.
Harvey 6 - Doesn't deserve criticism. He's not an impact sub at all because he's not physical (in terms of strength or speed) in any way. Some silly mistakes but he did ok in a tough situation. The other sub, however...
Banton 3 - I have defended this man as much as anyone in the past, but I'm afraid he's running out of chances. His confidence is through the floor. No idea what he was doing with that chance which he fluffed. Don't care that he didn't clap the fans at the end but he desperately needs a goal - whether here or out on loan.

A great away day - as a team we looked very good for the most part and we took advantage of a poor side. On yesterday's showing Northampton could find themselves heading for the trapdoor with Hartlepool come May. We're now 11 points better off compared to this stage last season, which means in essence we only need to replicate last season from here on in to make the play-offs. If we're on 40 points when we hit the new year, I'll be a happy man.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
This short extract from Northampton's local rag makes good reading:

"An individual error and a collective one, and with them, the game was handed to Plymouth, who played some good football otherwise and are one of the best teams to have visited Sixfields this season. When they went ahead it looked like they would just park their five-man defence deep and frustrate but if anything they passed the ball around better than Northampton and there were spells when it felt like the Cobblers were playing a team from a higher division."

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... -1-6472873

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Liam Vercoe":1j2yfha2 said:
Just saw Kellett's goal on the Football League show and I want to marry it. What a run and finish!

I've just seen Kellett's goal on the TV highlights and was a bit disappointed to be honest. The Northampton defenders more or less stood aside and said 'go on then if you think you're good enough'. It was MUCH better live. I think the problem he poses is that he is lightweight and runs with pace with the ball close to him so that any touch on him at all is likely to result in a foul. Defenders stand off him because of this, and so once he hit the edge of the area no-one put a foot near him until it was too late.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
So? It was a good then! :lol:

I know what you mean though Tim, it was better in the flesh.

PL2 3DQ":3gyuj523 said:
It was more a case of Reid and Alessandra holding the ball up and running the channels better than Harvey and Banton.

Banton had a great chance to make it 4-1 but just didn't shoot and looks totally devoid of confidence, Harvey did OK and had to drop back into midfield when Cox moved to right wing back.
We need Banton firing on all cylinders, he and Bobby Reid are the type of player to make things happen.

I can understand the subs being made, we were 3-0 up and cruising and it was a chance to put our best two strikers in cotton wool for 20 minutes or so.

... after the emotion on the day [it's probably too easy to compare the likes of Bobby, Kellet, Cox and OConnor over the first 60 mins with Tyler, Banton etc in the last 30] I think this is it in a nutshell .... sitting deeper to protect game in the last 30mins the style probably was never going to allow tyler and Jason the same opportunities to shine compared to Ollie (who did as it happens). But having said that, when they did get opportunities did their metal show ? JB's decision making when he had golden opportunity to run fast and direct at goal shows his confidence is just shot to bits. Tyler just seemed distant and a little slow to get into anything.

a wonderful performance for 80 mins with some good passing football played on the ground. shows how important and confidence boosting an opening goal is to our team. Lets hope Nelse is back soon. :greensmile:

C

Cobi Budge.

I've just watched the Kellet goal a couple times, good feet & composure from Andy but that defending is truly shocking, if we conceded that goal we'd have smoke coming out of our ears.

Judging by the 3 goals, Northampton's defence looks pretty dodgy, they were among the teams I thought would make the play offs at the start, it looks like Wilder is going the same way as Boothroyd.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
It's fair enough to criticise Northampton's defenders for not stopping Kellet's run, however, what he proved ( a la Scott Sinclair) is that if you run at pace towards the penalty area, defenders are hesitant to challenge as a mistimed tackle will incur a booking. In the box a penalty can result, obviously. We should do it far more often, and these are the kind of attributes we should be associating with Banton and Thomas.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
The Doctor":1tas5fps said:
Liam Vercoe":1tas5fps said:
Just saw Kellett's goal on the Football League show and I want to marry it. What a run and finish!

I've just seen Kellett's goal on the TV highlights and was a bit disappointed to be honest. The Northampton defenders more or less stood aside and said 'go on then if you think you're good enough'. It was MUCH better live. I think the problem he poses is that he is lightweight and runs with pace with the ball close to him so that any touch on him at all is likely to result in a foul. Defenders stand off him because of this, and so once he hit the edge of the area no-one put a foot near him until it was too late.

You aren't invited to the wedding then Doc :coat:

Sep 23, 2005
At least Kellett had the sense of adventure to go for it despite any defensive frailties on their part. We know he has that in his game but for each unsuccessful advance into the opposition penalty area there are the "experts" on here accusing him of neglect of his defensive duties.

Great goal Andy and keep that adventurous spirit going. Hope we get to keep him for as long as we possibly can.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Enjoyed reading the comments, some very good ones. Feel really sorry for Banton, not sure what's to be done apart from giving him games as a reserve or out on loan? I'm sure he's got it in him but he needs help to get it back.

Sep 6, 2006
briangreen":10ya8yer said:
Andy Holland":10ya8yer said:
Nelse trying to stagger back on to the pitch after having oxygen and the paramedics having to hold him back was priceless :)

That's passion for you, wish I was there to see it.
From what I could hear from the radio commentary it sounded in the 2nd half like most of argyles games the midfielders retreated to defensive positions and in the sense that doesn't really help the cause of Harvey and Banton. I think sometimes some of the folk on this site need to get a grip, on the sound of it many of those condemning the two forwards weren't even at the match, but 'my mate said' is not good enough. I don't know if they were good or bad, but according to both sparks and errington the midfielders deserted them and they were left on their own, totally alienated, which was contrary to the first half.
John Sheridan must be aware of this problem, after all it was an issue well before he arrived.
I don't think it was about Harvey and Banton, Reid and Allesandra would have struggled with that kind of service. Both defence and midfield need to discuss this in depth and try and become a 90 minute team and not a 50 minute one.
Apart from that well done argyle, more points towards the total we need.

So you criticise other people for making comments when they weren't at the game then do so yourself. Do you realize how stupid that makes you look? I woudnt waste your effort defending Banton.

G

Greenskin

I don't think many keepers would have stopped Northampton's second goal, perfect strike in the very top corner and after a good piece of control as well. If anything, Luke seemed to have chocolate wrists for the first goal-thought he should have saved that one, it would certainly have prevented a lot of stress if he had. Great run and finish from Kellett, couldn't separate it in terms of quality from their's though.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Both goals were a credit to the division, all I would say is, Northampton players could have stopped Andy Kellet's, no one could have stopped theirs.

A certain person asked Luke after the match if he thought he could have stopped that one, and his reply was 'If I had a step ladder'. :lol:

Jul 6, 2011
Balham_Green":3hq2pvlv said:
briangreen":3hq2pvlv said:
Andy Holland":3hq2pvlv said:
Nelse trying to stagger back on to the pitch after having oxygen and the paramedics having to hold him back was priceless :)

That's passion for you, wish I was there to see it.
From what I could hear from the radio commentary it sounded in the 2nd half like most of argyles games the midfielders retreated to defensive positions and in the sense that doesn't really help the cause of Harvey and Banton. I think sometimes some of the folk on this site need to get a grip, on the sound of it many of those condemning the two forwards weren't even at the match, but 'my mate said' is not good enough. I don't know if they were good or bad, but according to both sparks and errington the midfielders deserted them and they were left on their own, totally alienated, which was contrary to the first half.
John Sheridan must be aware of this problem, after all it was an issue well before he arrived.
I don't think it was about Harvey and Banton, Reid and Allesandra would have struggled with that kind of service. Both defence and midfield need to discuss this in depth and try and become a 90 minute team and not a 50 minute one.
Apart from that well done argyle, more points towards the total we need.

So you criticise other people for making comments when they weren't at the game then do so yourself. Do you realize how stupid that makes you look? I woudnt waste your effort defending Banton.

If I was a nasty kind of person I could reciprocate, but I try to be a little more even handed at this time of the year, so God bless you and merry christmas.
My match day experience did come through sparksey admittedly and yes it is 2nd hand, but I have seen Banton play before and I do, like most fans notice the midfield withdrawing to keep the goalie company in the 2nd half. Anybody who says it doesn't happen is telling porkies, never attends or watches the match through the back of their heads and out through their a55e5. If you excuse the term
My whole point is that Banton is a different type of player to Reid or Allesandra and we should change tactics accordingly when he comes on. Going by games I have seen they boot the ball up to Banton and expect him to do what Reid does, but he will always lose most balls given to him in that fashion.
And I do stand up for my earlier point that I never understand people attacking players when they haven't seen the match, it's illogical for a start and unfair.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The TV highlights don't really give any impression at all of how much the strike for their second goal moved in the air. I was right behind it. It seemed to suddenly dip a couple of metres and jag a similar distance sideways at the same time.

I loved Kellett's goal by the way.