Bristol city ground | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bristol city ground

Sep 25, 2010
What was particularly impressive was the Sports Bar, if we can get something similar., then great.

There was also separate rooms upstairs for the home supporters

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
This ground has had £51 million spent on it, we're spending £5 million.

Let's have some perspective here chaps.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Must say I've been to Trashton Gate many times. I didn't recognise it when I got in there this week.

They've done a brilliant job. It's not Trashton any more.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
IJN":1vkqnynb said:

Unfortunately modern society doesn't allow for such things as perspective, common sense and thought. Its all now, now, now.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
hoovermelon":3g9y394q said:
GM Vauxhall":3g9y394q said:
PlymOdi":3g9y394q said:
The Duke":3g9y394q said:
Andy in Peverell":3g9y394q said:
Ashton Gate wasn't that impressive before billionaire Steve Lansdown got involved with City and threw money at them.

Fair play to them, the blokes a life long fan, but without his money City wouldn't be that far away from us.

I wonder why the big investors haven't come in for Argyle? Not an attractive acquisition? We always used to be on a par with Bristol City, Cardiff, Hull, Swansea etc

People say it's location. I don't know if I believe that. Location could be turned into a positive with the right owners.

We're not much more remote than Swansea or Hull. Just need tgat elusive investing owner.

Never understood why there has never been an investor looking to bankroll us

When you look at the potential and the the success it could bring, dont see why we have been overlooked for so long

Let's think carefully.

Do we really want a "let's gamble on this, and walk away if it doesn't work" investor.

Didn't we have a couple if those from Japan who bolted at the first sign of distress. And where did that leave us .... ?

IMHO, what is needed is someone with the ability to drum up some investment dosh, but know where it benefits both club and owners. In other words a "real supporter".

Are we there? I hope so.

R

RobbieJpafc

Nice Ground, shame about our performance. It would be great if we had a screen and scoreboard.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
IJN":q8rkrej9 said:

Indeed. And let's not be futile and measure the gap between what Mr Landsdown is doing and the Argyle board, and wring our hands about lack of ambition. Sustainable, earnt success please. If that means £5m now, progress, and more opportunity for investment later, so be it. I'd rather that than boom and bust, again. But persuading your average fan to be patient is like asking a kid to wait a few hours to open their Christmas presents.

P

phantom

Green83":2oeb7lf7 said:
Also important to note that it is a stadium for the City of Bristol and is not Bristol City's stadium. It is heavily supported by the City Council and is also shared with Bristol Rugby.

Hi all, City fan here (one of the mods from our forum OTIB)

Hate to say the comment above is incorrect, the council helped us in NO way with all the plans we had for our ground. We had planning in place for a new ground at Ashton Vale (land off the A370 as you left the area Southbound), but the local council put obstacle after obstacle in front of us until eventually Steve Lansdown (Owner) had enough and said he'd look to redevelop the old ground instead.

Steve was a lifelong friend of Chris Booy who is the Bristol Rugby chairman, and a few years back got involved with the rugby club financially supporting them as well as the football club. A few years back it was announced that the rugby club would move to Ashton Gate and share the stadium with the football club too.

The City and Council both again put obstacles in the way with the redevelopment too, there was an infamous case where a resident up in Clifton nearly put a block on things as she said her view would be ruined with the use of floodlights etc.

Fortunately for us, the ground did get rebuilt, at times it was odd playing with only three sides of a ground during the redevelopments but am sure those of you that have been to Ashton Gate over the years will see the change - from standing in an open end, to an end with no backs on seats to what now was a newly built "home end" in the mid 1990's

Have to say it was great to see such a good following from the Argyle supporters the other night and fair credit to those there that they kept singing all night even though it was a disaster for you on the pitch, you certainly brought more supporters along than many will bring in the Championship to our place this season. Also credit that so many stayed for so long, I'm sure if I was in your shoes the local pub would have been calling me after half time!

I do wonder if any of the City squad will be sent on loan to you again this season, we have a number of decent U23 players that are now looking for that step up into a better level of football and am sure that from the experience etc that Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid gained whilst with you, the club will see that it is a decent club to loan "fringe" players out to

Anyway, all the best of the rest of the season and hope you get all three points when you visit Rovers at the end of September

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
phantom":u1byiy6z said:
Hate to say the comment above is incorrect, the council helped us in NO way with all the plans we had for our ground. We had planning in place for a new ground at Ashton Vale (land off the A370 as you left the area Southbound), but the local council put obstacle after obstacle in front of us until eventually Steve Lansdown (Owner) had enough and said he'd look to redevelop the old ground instead.

One thing I've always been curious about... why is the first impulse for clubs always to look for a new location rather than upgrade the existing stadium?

Sometimes you have to (not much you could do with the Dell, or Boothferry Park) but mostly it's far, far better for everyone to stick in the same spiritual home with enhanced facilities, rather than a relatively soulless bowl elsewhere.

Anfield and Ashton Gate (hopefully Home Park to follow) are good examples of having the best of both worlds, and I bet City fans are glad the Ashton Vale plan didn't come to fruition.

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
AdelaideGreen":99pcea5o said:
hoovermelon":99pcea5o said:
GM Vauxhall":99pcea5o said:
PlymOdi":99pcea5o said:
The Duke":99pcea5o said:
Andy in Peverell":99pcea5o said:
Ashton Gate wasn't that impressive before billionaire Steve Lansdown got involved with City and threw money at them.

Fair play to them, the blokes a life long fan, but without his money City wouldn't be that far away from us.

I wonder why the big investors haven't come in for Argyle? Not an attractive acquisition? We always used to be on a par with Bristol City, Cardiff, Hull, Swansea etc

People say it's location. I don't know if I believe that. Location could be turned into a positive with the right owners.

We're not much more remote than Swansea or Hull. Just need tgat elusive investing owner.

Never understood why there has never been an investor looking to bankroll us

When you look at the potential and the the success it could bring, dont see why we have been overlooked for so long

Let's think carefully.

Do we really want a "let's gamble on this, and walk away if it doesn't work" investor.

Didn't we have a couple if those from Japan who bolted at the first sign of distress. And where did that leave us .... ?

IMHO, what is needed is someone with the ability to drum up some investment dosh, but know where it benefits both club and owners. In other words a "real supporter".

Are we there? I hope so.

Doesn't seem to have hurt Brighton or Bournemouth. Both of whom also went through financial collapse not so long ago.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
I don't suppose us mere fans get to see who has actually tried to purchase the club? I expect nothing will happen until JB Has finished developing his other projects anyway.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The Duke":3brz0lp0 said:
I don't suppose us mere fans get to see who has actually tried to purchase the club? I expect nothing will happen until JB Has finished developing his other projects anyway.

I would imagine that 99% of these so called interested parties are hardly worth being taken seriously and at best are tyre kickers.