Can we get to the Championsip? (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Can we get to the Championsip? (merged)

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Do such (affordable) insurance policies exist? Doubt it. Surely it's the responsibility of the business to plan for the cost cutting and redundancies which must follow, not a third party. Although the third party of the EPL nursing its known brands does kind of screw that to some extent.

I can't see how Argyle's "model" is appropriate for the EPL wannabe league, on or off the pitch. Afterall the constant drivel we had from Poolis about fighting financial goliaths was zero fun pre or post match, let alone during. It would be little different under DA.

Being an entertaining League One side which gives youth and some foreign gems a chance is just fine by me under prudent ownership.

Mar 8, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":32ohk3jf said:
Army green":32ohk3jf said:
Sky bet championship? yeah I've not heard being called SBC either.

What should it be called then, the CCC?

Call it what you want, someone asked what the abbreviation was so I replied. By the way the SBC is not gonna happen for a very long time, let's just worry about trying to stay in this poxy league first.

Feb 17, 2017
Unfortunately our years in league 2 has left us miles behind the championship in a league that's growing financially as much as the premiership. I look at the championship as more of a lower premiership now with league one and two in the other other half of the spectrum. We are already seeing a step up in league one,some championship clubs probably have squads close to a value of £75m with Middlesbrough spending £30m on strikers in the transfer window. Without outside investment I can't see a return to the championship, and I fear the gap is going to only get bigger in years to come.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think a lot will depend on when the Tamar Valley upstages Silicon Valley in the US, and when Cornwall is cut adrift from England and becomes a popular tax haven in the manner of Jersey. Then, there will be enough spare cash swanning about that Argyle will have directors with deep enough pockets to finance auto promotion through the Leagues. In the meantime let's just dream about promotion, and just fret over the current possibility of going backwards rather than upwards, whilst continuing our support for the Club.

May 16, 2016
I think we've already reached the point where the Championship is basically, EPL2. It's only through poor management of resource that we find ex Premier sides down in the depths. A couple of more seasons and we'll see the Championship as similar to the PL with a transitional top 4 to 6 positions predictable and those clubs yo yoing between the two, eg Newcastle, Aston Villa, Sunderland etc. The rest will be also rans and relegation battlers.

We've already seen the seeds of change sewn this week with the 2 Manchesters wanting out of the League Cup. How long before momentum for that grows ?

We're probably capable of eventually getting there using our current model, but it would be a perennial struggle to remain.

Oct 31, 2015
I cant see it happening any time soon and not without a sugar daddy. All those clubs we used to play year in year out (swansea,Cardiff,Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brissle C)) have all been bank rolled hugely. Our current business model is good but I cant see us matching the wage demands of the prem 2.

If by some fluje it happened we woul be back down fairly quickly.

Nov 18, 2011
I honestly think that without a sugar daddy or spending recklessly we are nearly at our ceiling. Even clubs like Burton have chairmen who are willing to invest significant money.

I'm almost at the stage of thinking that a financial crash hitting the world of football may be a good thing!

Jan 20, 2004
Can't see a financial crash happening just yet. More and more money seems to head towards the Premiership and to a lesser extent the Championship creating an increasing gulf between the two. I recently learnt that the income from the moving LED advertising around the pitch during Premiership matches is £25k per minute and drops to £2k per minute during Championship matches.

Even £2k per minute creates an increasiing gulf between the Championship and League One.

Aug 3, 2017
Mike E":iwl8cjc9 said:
Can't see a financial crash happening just yet. More and more money seems to head towards the Premiership and to a lesser extent the Championship creating an increasing gulf between the two. I recently learnt that the income from the moving LED advertising around the pitch during Premiership matches is £25k per minute and drops to £2k per minute during Championship matches.

Even £2k per minute creates an increasiing gulf between the Championship and League One.

Speaking purely academically, when you look through recent history there is a financial crash approximately every 18 years, effecting Western economies. It has been like this for the last 200 years.

There is a theorist, by the name Gann. He notions 2019 will be a year of a great depression because, like financial crisis, depressions happen cyclically too. Approximately every 90 years, with a financial marker at 45 years. And in '74 there was a UK financial crisis.

Not saying it will happen, but in academic sense it is due soon.

May 16, 2016
I read somewhere that Amazon and I think it was Netflix were looking at getting into streaming matches when the next rights buying sale comes up. I'm undecided if this sort of fragmentation of TV Deals will benefit or not. Eventually people (in this Country at least) will have enough of paying more and start to frift away. If it becomes a loss for the Screening bidders, the money will start to evaporate.

I've noticed more 'deals' or different sports packages appearing, so the way its sold is changing. The increased effort in halting the unofficial viewer is also telling.

The stupid prices for players eg Neymar, is to me at least, an example of the begining of the end. Totally unsustainable, something will start the dam burst soon.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
Lundan Cabbie":283d7isp said:
phil-thefluter24":283d7isp said:
Wonder what our chances are of a realistic return to the Championship in the foreseeable future? given the financial constraints we are operating under. The gulf financially wise Between Championship & Lge1 is so much larger than when we were last there owing to the huge increase in the totally unfair "parachute" payments giving relegated clubs a massive advantage for a quick return to the "promised land"

Relegated clubs come with massive overheads that teams coming up from League One don't have. Premier League clubs are very wise to have an insurance policy against dropping down to the SBC.

I've long understood but disagreed with the reasoning of parachute payments.

Why do these premier league clubs have higher overheads? They are coming down with a fair proportion of a squad built to play at the highest level. League one clubs coming up have squads built for the third tier.

Why should the premier league's relegated sides receive additional handouts in order to maintain their premier league over spend and how does that help the competitiveness of the championship? Answer is it doesn't and the reason is the premier league couldn't give a stuff.

Rather than enforcing protection in the contracts of the premier league clubs it encourages overspend and partially bails them out.

Why not make a relegation wage reduction clause compulsory for all premier league contracts coupled with relevant release clauses? That achieves the same result in reducing overheads to stop a club going bust but requires therelegated club to cut the cloth of their squads accordingly

You'd still have big big clubs like villa to compete with but that's part of the step up.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We need the grandstand etc all up and running first then heavy investment in the youth development to help us progress without the burden of heavy transfer fees and wages.

Also income from selling players will be critical to our success. Not in the ways of the Holloway era but one or 2 big selling fees will tick us over comfortable and allow reinvestment into the club.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think a more realistic league change would doem rather than up