Can we get to the Championsip? (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Can we get to the Championsip? (merged)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jimbo_the_green":3nomvzsd said:
Lundan Cabbie":3nomvzsd said:
phil-thefluter24":3nomvzsd said:
Wonder what our chances are of a realistic return to the Championship in the foreseeable future? given the financial constraints we are operating under. The gulf financially wise Between Championship & Lge1 is so much larger than when we were last there owing to the huge increase in the totally unfair "parachute" payments giving relegated clubs a massive advantage for a quick return to the "promised land"

Relegated clubs come with massive overheads that teams coming up from League One don't have. Premier League clubs are very wise to have an insurance policy against dropping down to the SBC.

I've long understood but disagreed with the reasoning of parachute payments.

Why do these premier league clubs have higher overheads? They are coming down with a fair proportion of a squad built to play at the highest level. League one clubs coming up have squads built for the third tier.

Why should the premier league's relegated sides receive additional handouts in order to maintain their premier league over spend and how does that help the competitiveness of the championship? Answer is it doesn't and the reason is the premier league couldn't give a stuff.

Rather than enforcing protection in the contracts of the premier league clubs it encourages overspend and partially bails them out.

Why not make a relegation wage reduction clause compulsory for all premier league contracts coupled with relevant release clauses? That achieves the same result in reducing overheads to stop a club going bust but requires therelegated club to cut the cloth of their squads accordingly

You'd still have big big clubs like villa to compete with but that's part of the step up.

If you were a Premier League chairman/owner, would you vote to end parachute payments? You would have to be mad to do so.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
Lundan Cabbie":1nmb1dcm said:
jimbo_the_green":1nmb1dcm said:
Lundan Cabbie":1nmb1dcm said:
phil-thefluter24":1nmb1dcm said:
Wonder what our chances are of a realistic return to the Championship in the foreseeable future? given the financial constraints we are operating under. The gulf financially wise Between Championship & Lge1 is so much larger than when we were last there owing to the huge increase in the totally unfair "parachute" payments giving relegated clubs a massive advantage for a quick return to the "promised land"

Relegated clubs come with massive overheads that teams coming up from League One don't have. Premier League clubs are very wise to have an insurance policy against dropping down to the SBC.

Why do these premier league clubs have higher overheads? They are coming down with a fair proportion of a squad built to play at the highest level. League one clubs coming up have squads built for the third tier.

Why should the premier league's relegated sides receive additional handouts in order to maintain their premier league over spend and how does that help the competitiveness of the championship? Answer is it doesn't and the reason is the premier league couldn't give a stuff.

Rather than enforcing protection in the contracts of the premier league clubs it encourages overspend and partially bails them out.

Why not make a relegation wage reduction clause compulsory for all premier league contracts coupled with relevant release clauses? That achieves the same result in reducing overheads to stop a club going bust but requires therelegated club to cut the cloth of their squads accordingly

You'd still have big big clubs like villa to compete with but that's part of the step up.

If you were a Premier League chairman/owner, would you vote to end parachute payments? You would have to be mad to do so.

Well obviously. But that doesn't make it right?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jimbo_the_green":2nwm09q4 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2nwm09q4 said:
jimbo_the_green":2nwm09q4 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2nwm09q4 said:
phil-thefluter24":2nwm09q4 said:

Well obviously. But that doesn't make it right?

Of course it is the right thing to do. They are putting money away for a rainy day. How is that wrong?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Can we stay in L1?

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
IJN":1f3me4mq said:
I can see us squeaking into the Championship one day, but by God, the gulf when you get there is massive.

I can't stress enough, when you witness the inner machinations and infrastructure of Bristol City like I did, you KNOW that these clubs are on a different planet to us.

Yeah I probably agree with that :thumbs: Although we have to obviously stay up this season first which I think we will. I think once we get our best players back we will be fine. Obviously we were not at full strength today not that that's any excuse to play as crap as we did.