Cardiff match thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cardiff match thread

Nov 25, 2015
Really difficult to judge the new players on that performance, a very subdued game with very few chances.
Positives for me were Lameiras who just has that bit of quality, despite his slender frame I think he'll do well this season. I also thought Grant and Wylde did well.
Wasn't impressed with Ainsworth who just didn't manage to find any space, and Taylor-Sinclair wasn't convincing at all.
Blissett and JJ aren't good enough in the line striker role, hope we fill that number 9 shirt soon

Jun 27, 2017
Decent performance just lacking that killer instinct in front of goal. At times I wish we would just try a shot!!! Additional striker essential although for me Blissett looks fitter than last season.
Youngsters will gain good experience from being around the squad but tonight showed that more time is needed.
Really liked Lamieras, but will he do it on a poor surface on a wet Tuesday night??? Time will tell but excited so far.
Thought Cardiff fans did well to turn up in good numbers and good voice!
All in all it was a good run out and sadly out last before it all starts again.

Jun 27, 2017
Oh and I thought Grant did quite well tonight too. Looked decent on the ball and always postive.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
On the balance of play the game should have been a draw but with a half time change of personnel the Argyle rear 'switched off' temporarily and Cardiff put their chance away nicely into the Barn Park End.

I thought various midfield players had strong games viz. Fox Songo'o, Lamerias. Carey, even Grant when he got the ball in time and space. How DA is going to select his best midfield, I do not know. I continue to wonder how DA will fit Lamerias into his best eleven at the same time as Carey. I think Carey has better dead ball skills which might favour him.

JJ did not really cut it as a maim striker but at least he was more aggressive than Blissett. I would liked to have seen Ryan Taylor perform tonight, but must be injured.

Wylde has been pilloried in the past over his crossing but the best Argyle move of the night at speed involved him putting in the perfect cross for Blissett to score into the Devonport End. He failed to get enough on the ball and it glanced wide.

I just wish there was a touch of Brunt's power and aggression in Blissett in order to make him more effective. In the absence of Taylor it showed that Argyle are currently weak in the striker role.

The pitch looked good tonight.

I enjoyed that. A good little summertime knockabout.
Chances created at both ends but the harlech boys just had to sneak a winner in there the spoilsports.
4231 again for us this season it would seem.
Of the newbies i liked the look of AT-S at left back. Grant at supposedly left wing but was popping up
all over the place. Lameiras playing as a 10 looked very good buzzing around their box with bags of skill
on the ball with tricks and neat turns.
Him and GC10 in the same team will be a joy to behold if DA can fit them both into the jigsaw.
Ainsworth wasnt utilised much on the right but like grant he was popping up inside as well 1st half.
Wylde gave us pace on the outside in the 2nd half which is no bad thing. He came inside also quite often
too linking with players centrally. At times like this i thought we overplayed a tad though some of the
football was lovely to watch but always just lacked a final ball/cross/shot. The men of harlech stood firm
though with janner boy morrison a beast at CB. Had no idea who their other players were though as the prog
didnt give them any numbers.
The big new centre back edwards did ok first half though i need to see more of him. He picked up a knock
just before ht hopefully nothing serious.
Of the argyle boys from last season a special mention to yanner(MOM) playing in centre mid who looks to have
improved from last season in how to pass, move and link the play. Did his usual great tough guy stuff as well
so hats off to him tonight. DA and co perhaps working on his all round game? Will have to wait and see if its
just a flash in the pan. Tis only a friendly after all.
First sight of the strip and from a distance we looked like hibs but i quite like their trad shirt anyway so
it won me over quite easily tbh.
So all in all not a bad night out at HP. Roll on the proper stuff now.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
My thoughts

Goal for Cardiff was sloppy defending and Luke rushed out an unfortunately it back fired, and a good slotte finish into the corner from who ever it was.

Number 5 Edwards played a blinder and was my argyle MoM. He reminded me of Timar when he was at his peak, looked very assured and classy and has pace which surprised me as I wrote him off as slow for some reason. :) So a great signing there, I think.

Luke played great in goal and made a good save at the end of the first, and based soley on that game he should be number ahead of the new boy who got a run out 10 or 15 minutes before the end. Although he might be a good signing in the future I'm thinking as long as he doesn't leave, so I think that could be a good signing in the long term.

Blisett played very well but is not a goal scorer, so we probably need another striker, just to compliment Blissett, who actually played his best game I've seen him play tonight. He put in a good shift, but missed a couple of decent chances at the same time, kind of reminded me a bit of Heskey, which is a compliment.

Carey was his usual classy self, not his best game but he did just fine.

Wylde did what he did first time around which is run down the ring at great ace, and then give it away or kick it out for a goal kick. But I still rate him, anyway.

David Fox, usual composed self. Very important player for the team.

Song'o played ok, might have been out of position a bit in midfield, so struggled a little bit at times, but wasn't bad but didn't do anything good either.

And finally Saravic was not in the game, don't really see what he brings to the team really. He doesn't score goals, doesn't defend, (We got Fox for that.) The game sort of passed him by tonight, as it did a lot last season too.

In terms of the team, very good performance. We were definitely the better side and deserved to win it really. VERY good passing tonight, the best I think I've ever seen in any game ever, and Cardiff were very poor, or at least we made them look very poor, they were very lucky to nick a win.

So all in all, very impressed with that and can't wait for the season to kick off, we just need a striker that's all.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Can't disagree more RE Sarcevic, very clever player who does a lot of dirty work both defensively and offensively which unfortunately seems to go unnoticed and underappreciated.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I thought Sarcevic has been very average in the pre-season games I've seen him play.

According to the match programme our first game of the season is away to Gillingham. :)

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":3bktyldp said:
My thoughts

Goal for Cardiff was sloppy defending and Luke rushed out an unfortunately it back fired, and a good slotte finish into the corner from who ever it was.

Number 5 Edwards played a blinder and was my argyle MoM. He reminded me of Timar when he was at his peak, looked very assured and classy and has pace which surprised me as I wrote him off as slow for some reason. :) So a great signing there, I think.

Luke played great in goal and made a good save at the end of the first, and based soley on that game he should be number ahead of the new boy who got a run out 10 or 15 minutes before the end. Although he might be a good signing in the future I'm thinking as long as he doesn't leave, so I think that could be a good signing in the long term.

Blisett played very well but is not a goal scorer, so we probably need another striker, just to compliment Blissett, who actually played his best game I've seen him play tonight. He put in a good shift, but missed a couple of decent chances at the same time, kind of reminded me a bit of Heskey, which is a compliment.

Carey was his usual classy self, not his best game but he did just fine.

Wylde did what he did first time around which is run down the ring at great ace, and then give it away or kick it out for a goal kick. But I still rate him, anyway.

David Fox, usual composed self. Very important player for the team.

Song'o played ok, might have been out of position a bit in midfield, so struggled a little bit at times, but wasn't bad but didn't do anything good either.

And finally Saravic was not in the game, don't really see what he brings to the team really. He doesn't score goals, doesn't defend, (We got Fox for that.) The game sort of passed him by tonight, as it did a lot last season too.

In terms of the team, very good performance. We were definitely the better side and deserved to win it really. VERY good passing tonight, the best I think I've ever seen in any game ever, and Cardiff were very poor, or at least we made them look very poor, they were very lucky to nick a win.

So all in all, very impressed with that and can't wait for the season to kick off, we just need a striker that's all.

I wasn't there tonight but I am afraid I have to agree with Cobi re Sarcevic. If you dont appreciate what he offers you are not understnding the game. He is busy player, skillful, always looking to get the ball down and play a pass.

Mar 14, 2009
So a few more thoughts...

I feel some of the comments on ATS seem harsh. I think I remember once where the Cardiff no 19 outpaced him and got a cross in. Otherwise he seemed to defend decently. He is a bit gangly. By which I mean all arms and legs. Yet when he had to defend he seemed to do a decent job. He isn't the gonna be the best when going down the touchline and getting crosses in. Yet he did show a willingness to get forward.

Ainsworth worked hard but actually I thought it was Grant's attacking play which looks very promising. He takes up good positions. Seems to link up well with Carey. He offers something different to Wylde which I think is a positive thing because it means you have different options.

Lameiras looks very decent. A good test today because he was up against more muscular and physical players but he held his own. Looks for that pass forward to unlock the defence and isn't scared to try that forward pass, instead of the sideways one.

Looking at the side I still feel we need more energy and bite in that midfield. Sarcevic is a good player but I think would be better suited making those intelligent runs of his from just behind the forward. In a deeper position I am still convinced it negates his best attributes.

We need something up front. Not only that can link with the midfield but who can cause problems themselves with running in behind. This forward we bring in will problem determine what type of season we shall have because currently with Jervis up top you see it breaking down far too easily.

The team looks decent on the eye. I'm still concerned about the lack of pace and ball playing ability of the full backs. I do feel better full backs would help the wide men and improved the team massively overall given how many times play is started from a wide position, at the back.

Given all this we need a proper few games to see actually just how good or bad we are. Given the number of changes and trying to find this forward, who may not even come in till near the transfer deadline, we might have a painfully slow start to the season until we can find our feet.

Mar 23, 2008
Agree with comments about strikers, Taylor will be the main man once fit but JJ I think is better wide, I think he would score goals up front but his link play/back to goal play isn't good enough.