Changes in board room | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Changes in board room

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
IJN":14ms71z3 said:
Jesus Christ!! I can't think of a worse idea.

You obviously are too young to know about The Morecambe & Wise Christmas Show. Legs to die for! I jest, of course.

The big danger here is that the Board end up with nominal female director, who offers little, just to satisfy HM Gov's wish to see greater female penetration in UK Boardroom director appointments. Come on IJN you normally have a fertile mind, who is your nominee? I still maintain however, AR was magic on the 'mike' that afternoon in drumming up support. She was not screeching like Delia did in her moment of embarrassment at Carrow Road, just enthusiastic for the cause she supported. Let's see more of it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No 'celebs' that's for sure.

I personally would like Viv Pengelley of any female I know that supports Argyle. A) She helped save our club whilst leader of PCC plus B) She's a long term ST holder.

However there are so many variables when selecting someone as a board member and I trust the present incumbents to make the decision for the right reasons.

Certainly Ms Rippon and Ms French are as green as I am red!

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
We need a couple of directors who can help move the club forward an Argyle fan who can contribute their expertise for the benefit of the club, not a celebrity to promote themselves.

Feb 5, 2015
I wouldn't bank on either of the new directors (whatever sex/gender they may be) having a background in football.

Brent has previously said that having those with a different outlook on board can be extremely useful, so I would expect at least one of the board members to have expertise we need, but in a different industry.

I say that particularly as it's hard to muster up any meaningful potential candidates who are female and currently working in a role in football that would be interested in the role. With the exception of Brady (who let's be honest isn't going to trade West Ham and their money making for us) - those who have been mentioned work outside of the sport.

I have no doubt that those who are appointed will be the right people - but don't be surprised when they're not from the footballing community.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I would have thought that one of the new Board members will have a background in marketing/PR particularly with Mayflower 2020 on the horizon and all the potential opportunities that brings (and with Peter Jones having stepped away).

Another area where there might be a need for some fresh input/skills could be Customer Relations.

A lot has been made of the club's burgeoning work in the local community across a wide range of activities, so someone with a background in Community Engagement is a possibility.

And then there is someone to oversee the stadium development side of things. On reflection, this must surely be a key area where expert input could be vital.

Overall, I think I'd go for one person with a background in stadium/infrastructure development and one with a marketing/PR background.

This is all on the assumption that the point of having new directors is not to bring in money to the club but, rather, to provide expert oversight of particular areas of operation.