Decent team, not a promotion team! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Decent team, not a promotion team!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Today's performance is a non-story imo. If the game was a day or two later allowing Reuben more training time, he'd have played and we'd be much more likely to have scored. If we put in this performance even with Brunt, against an average League Two team then again we'd probably have won the game.

The point I'm making is, it's fine margins. They were far from out of sight and it's against probably the best away team performance I've seen at home park since Gus Poyet's Brighton side in 2010.

Conceding three goals away to Hartlepool is something worth having a tantrum about. Losing a tight game with such mitigating circumstances is not, in my opinion. I'll be the first to have a rant and a moan when I feel it's merited (and being 8th in the league has produced a few rants and moans from me) but today's performance in isolation wasn't worth the stick it's getting.

Mar 14, 2009
IJN":n3xzvhww said:
oddball":n3xzvhww said:
IJN":n3xzvhww said:
I think this team IS capable of winning promotion.

Dont think many would agree with you today after watching that performance.

I based my comment on all the games I have seen this season not just one of them.
]

I've seen all Argyle home games. You get a feel of things with performances. You can also judge them over Sheridans tenure as manager of Argyle. He has had one or two bad runs of results and one or two good runs of results. The problem is they happen in batches. He tends to leave things alone when we do well but the problem is he never adapts to personnel being injured or different style of opposition team play. If we win, he leaves it the same and this works against the decent to poor teams. Yet when you come up against really decent side and a tactically astute manager we struggle because the 3-5-2 turns into a 5-3-2 and we on the back foot.

You can also predict tues being a defeat because this is what happens. He wont change much, if anything. He believes in the formula except now good teams and a tactically sound manager know what to expect. He should now change Bobby Reid taking corners because they are a complete waste while he takes them. He wont. The mistakes get repeated and thus the cycle of results.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Agree with the title of post 100%. Immensely frustrating season, every-time there's a decent run it ends in a disappointing and unexpected defeat. Clearly the team is above average given the league position and goal difference, but not promotion winning. That's home and away defeats to Bury now. Cant see JS ever taking Argyle up tbh.

Mar 23, 2008
Greenskin":1koy8ccg said:
Deacster":1koy8ccg said:
I think we have a team capable if promotion but not a manager, today being an example where up against a decent side a manager earns his corn.

Strange logic,considering that Sheridan has already won a promotion from this division. And presumably the managers of Shrewsbury, Wycombe ,Southend and Luton didn't "earn their corn" when they were beaten by Argyle this season?
Hardly strange when you look at our team and it's calibre and the stats suggest our strongest starting eleven do very well and win. Take one or two players out and you rely on the managers tactical nous and that's where we fall down, hence my comment.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Tough game today and some you win and some you lose. Sadly we didn't turn up and had an off day and as a team the best side won today. That's football.
What has left us in 8th position tonight was the run of 7 games where we only managed 3 points against worse teams than Bury

The team is good enough to win the league but sadly its underperforming under JS.

Even if we scrape into the playoffs we will not be good enough over 3 games to win it against better TEAMS especially if some of our better loanee players won't be available

Jan 10, 2015
Plymouth
i just find it difficult to see us gaining promotion through the play offs when we lose to a far better team (on the day) who shall proberly be in the play offs but then again footballs a funny old game.

Aug 10, 2006
all along I have said this does not feel like a promotion team but I still think we can go up maybe even grab 3rd spot.

Sep 23, 2005
Well I I think our first pick team are capable of winning promotion so in agreement with IJN there but if you change the Subject to Decent squad, not a promotion squad, I would say MGM is spot on.
Not enough strength in depth I'm afraid.

Sep 6, 2006
loyal1970":1acsypzc said:
all along I have said this does not feel like a promotion team but I still think we can go up maybe even grab 3rd spot.

:crazy: :crazy:

Anybody understand that? Send your answers on a postcard.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Balham_Green":1uncxml2 said:
IJN":1uncxml2 said:

That well reasoned argument has definitely convinced me.

I think this team is definitely capable of promition BUT I think this team with this management is more realistically suited to excalty where we are today, on the edge of the playoffs.

We are masivally hindered by our lack of ability in coming back into a game having gone behind and I think it will cost us this season. Even if we do get into the playoffs there's still a massive amount to do to be better than those teams in and around us.

Sep 6, 2006
Tugboat":1l6pgahb said:
Balham_Green":1l6pgahb said:
IJN":1l6pgahb said:

I think this team is definitely capable of promition BUT I think this team with this management is more realistically suited to excalty where we are today, on the edge of the playoffs.

We are masivally hindered by our lack of ability in coming back into a game having gone behind and I think it will cost us this season. Even if we do get into the playoffs there's still a massive amount to do to be better than those teams in and around us.

Basically hindered by a lack of a plan B. And also lack of back up to Reuben or Alesandra if they are missing. Compounded by no goals from Midfield. Carlisle 2nd bottom have scored as many as us!

Feb 18, 2015
Tugboat":13tlcsmq said:
Balham_Green":13tlcsmq said:
IJN":13tlcsmq said:

I would agree. Even if we do get to the play offs what convincing arguments are there for saying we are going to beat an equally strong team over legs followed by another difficult one off affair? Would love to be proved wrong and will be there to see it but realism is not a sin.

Oct 24, 2010
On Saturday we showed we are well capable of promotion. In the second half when we abandoned the long ball tactics and our back three pushed up ten yards and we set about the game properly we were much the better side until they scored. Had Allesandra's goal not been, apparently incorrectly, ruled out I've no doubt we would have won the game. Bury are a decent team but we made them look good in the first half by giving them far too much space and by continually giving the ball back to them as a result of our aimless long ball tactics.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I don't think Bury are given nearly enough credit for their victory which I believe they fully deserved. They continually targeted our left hand side as being a weak point,exposing Hartley's lack of pace,and continually got in behind our defence. A Bury goal looked like coming long before they eventually scored.