Devon Bowl Final 3rd May (Argyle win on penalties) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Devon Bowl Final 3rd May (Argyle win on penalties)

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Was DA at the match?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Totnes Green":2fas420u said:
I thought Witheridge played very well. did not look tired at all. Argyle players that caught the eye, Callum Hall, Lewis Rooney and Dorel the goalie.
did tyler harvey play well please?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Steve Evans":1k1okiil said:
Totnes Green":1k1okiil said:
I thought Witheridge played very well. did not look tired at all. Argyle players that caught the eye, Callum Hall, Lewis Rooney and Dorel the goalie.

Very ordinary Steve. Some good moments but he really should be standing out more against opposition like this.

One big plus was that the yobbish nature of last year's losers' supporters was absent. Witheridge conducted themselves very well.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Thanks for the summary and optimistic opinions of our young players, Mark.
Great to know that all of our management team were there. They have certainly seen enough of our young talent to make realistic decisions on their futures with the club.
Having listened to Kevin Hodges and 3 of his supporting staff at Senior Greens last week, I feel confident that the club is in good hands with regard to youth development. It will be great if this results in "one (or more) of our own" playing for the senior team in the next couple of years.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Mark Pedlar":11c7uad6 said:
Steve Evans":11c7uad6 said:
Totnes Green":11c7uad6 said:

Very ordinary Steve. Some good moments but he really should be standing out more against opposition like this.

One big plus was that the yobbish nature of last year's losers' supporters was absent. Witheridge conducted themselves very well.
thanks for that mark.looks like tyler isn't going to make it at argyle.i hope he gets another league club somewhere.

Feb 28, 2016
Steve Evans":2aebrfbq said:
Mark Pedlar":2aebrfbq said:
Steve Evans":2aebrfbq said:
Totnes Green":2aebrfbq said:

thanks for that mark.looks like tyler isn't going to make it at argyle.i hope he gets another league club somewhere.

TBF, thought Tyler Harvey had an half decent first half, had to do a fair bit of "digging in" which he did well, and I don't think that is a natural part of his game and if he is played with the right players around him at a higher level, he'll get away with not having to do it as much. Scored his pen, so he's earned his money this week.

Was good to see Ben Purrington and Connor Mcauley (neither involved in the squad) both there supporting them

MarkMatthews":2hzggiud said:
Totnes Green":2hzggiud said:

Would Probably give Callum Hall MOTM, I was at the end(of the club house side stand) that we defended second half, will be disappointed if that's the last I see of Owen Jones in an Argyle shirt, I thought he stood out today (particularly second half where he was in the half where I was watching him close up) and I think we look better all round when I've seen us play with him compared to when he is out (coincidence?)Also think Jordan Bentley (who was given MOTM) looks so much more reliable, confident, calmer and composed whilst playing with Jones/Aaron Bentley. Great to see Ben Steer back after yet another injury set back and being able to pick up where he left off from and was one of the more vocal ones as usual.

As for Calver and Palfrey, compare them to how they were 12 months ago! By far the most improved players, its like watching two completely different players, really done themselves and the club proud.

Overall I thought the game went really quick, old fashioned competitive game I really enjoyed it. Witheridge did themselves proud (as did their fans), much more pleasant atmosphere then against Bideford last year
Thanks for the summary of the game mark. Very interesting.
If you, or anybody else, could do some more on here in the future it would be really appreciated
especially opinions on how they are progressing individually. Ones to watch out for etc.
Will try to get along to parkway next season to see them. 10 minute walk for me.

Feb 28, 2016
Cobi Budge.":34ve1e0f said:
Did Dorel have much to do?
Not really, what he did have to do was nothing Harvey couldn't/wouldn't have dealt with. Having said that he still had to deal with it I suppose. Obviously did well in the Shoot out.

Feb 28, 2016
Fat_green_belly":3m11lss6 said:
MarkMatthews":3m11lss6 said:
Totnes Green":3m11lss6 said:

Would Probably give Callum Hall MOTM, I was at the end(of the club house side stand) that we defended second half, will be disappointed if that's the last I see of Owen Jones in an Argyle shirt, I thought he stood out today (particularly second half where he was in the half where I was watching him close up) and I think we look better all round when I've seen us play with him compared to when he is out (coincidence?)Also think Jordan Bentley (who was given MOTM) looks so much more reliable, confident, calmer and composed whilst playing with Jones/Aaron Bentley. Great to see Ben Steer back after yet another injury set back and being able to pick up where he left off from and was one of the more vocal ones as usual.

As for Calver and Palfrey, compare them to how they were 12 months ago! By far the most improved players, its like watching two completely different players, really done themselves and the club proud.

Overall I thought the game went really quick, old fashioned competitive game I really enjoyed it. Witheridge did themselves proud (as did their fans), much more pleasant atmosphere then against Bideford last year
If you, or anybody else, could do some more on here in the future it would be really appreciated
especially opinions on how they are progressing individually. Ones to watch out for etc.
Will try to get along to parkway next season to see them. 10 minute walk for me.

I was approached by another fan site to do just that, Don't think I can post the links here so have PM you them as you've expressed interest. Also disappointed to hear last night, the Sunday Independent's Mike Sampson is retiring. Their coverage of the youth team is the only area where they beat the Herald hands down IMO. Sundays wont be the same not reading his column.

MarkMatthews":svj5905e said:
Fat_green_belly":svj5905e said:
MarkMatthews":svj5905e said:
Totnes Green":svj5905e said:

I was approached by another fan site to do just that, Don't think I can post the links here so have PM you them as you've expressed interest. Also disappointed to hear last night, the Sunday Independent's Mike Sampson is retiring. Their coverage of the youth team is the only area where they beat the Herald hands down IMO. Sundays wont be the same not reading his column.
Thanks for the links. Will check them out shortly. I will also check that site regular for your youth
stuff in the future as well.
We share the same habits. I have been getting the sunday independent for years and agree with
you that mike Sampson retiring is a big loss. Wonder who will take over. You interested? :thumbup:

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Fat_green_belly":2lj07gd8 said:
MarkMatthews":2lj07gd8 said:
Fat_green_belly":2lj07gd8 said:
MarkMatthews":2lj07gd8 said:
Totnes Green":2lj07gd8 said:

Thanks for the links. Will check them out shortly. I will also check that site regular for your youth
We share the same habits. I have been getting the sunday independent for years and agree with
you that mike Sampson retiring is a big loss. Wonder who will take over. You interested? :thumbup:
I have seen Mike work at close quarters. He was the journalist covering the 2010 Milk Cup and we shared a room together! Lovely bloke, loves his local football and the Argyle youth teams.

Feb 28, 2016
Fat_green_belly":20j4rpzf said:
MarkMatthews":20j4rpzf said:
Fat_green_belly":20j4rpzf said:
MarkMatthews":20j4rpzf said:
Totnes Green":20j4rpzf said:

Haha would love to! Unfortunately I don't think a GCSE B in English and a city and guilds in Plumbing will get me a journalism job!

MarkMatthews":1dbxubu0 said:
Fat_green_belly":1dbxubu0 said:
Fat_green_belly":1dbxubu0 said:
Totnes Green":1dbxubu0 said:

Haha would love to! Unfortunately I don't think a GCSE B in English and a city and guilds in Plumbing will get me a journalism job!
Only joshing. It is a shame that mike is retiring. The argyle match report and then his youth piece in that
order for me. LG is right in that he did do other local games and leagues though the argyle stuff paramount for me.
I am assuming he will be replaced? The execeter page always has a piece about their youth. Not sure about the other
pro clubs in there though thinking about it.
I have read your articles reviewing the youth players in "argyle life" and they are brilliant. Exactly what
i was hoping you could do on here. Ben steer and jack calver from midfield. Jamil roberts at FB.
Owen jones the younger brother of lloyd who went to liverpool at CB all sound promising. The big boy
vincent too could he be one for a pro contract. We havnt had a big un come through as a striker since trigger.
Your other article is about wanting argyle to go down the execeter route and blood our youngsters instead
of playing premier kids on loan. Like i said previously i have sympathy but it just aint going to happen.
The argyle fans wont allow it. They will exert pressure on the manager and board for results just like it has always been.
The only times i can remember in my 50odd years following argyle that we had a feel of a conveyor belt
working for youth development was twice. Once in the 70s under waiters when the whole youth team at times used to
play in our reserve team in the old football combination playing against older pros. Some Div one
quality as well. That team had hodge, hodges, uzzell, megson, trusson, cooper, phillips come
through in a short time. The other time was under luggy where he had the age groups playing against older age groups
and playing against men in the SWPL as well. Thats why i reckon gosling, mason, sawyer, connoly, mccormack,
summerfield, tozer, leonard, Dickson, laird and that CB we let go morrison all developed around that period.
Some of them gone on to premier and championship level as well.
Thats why i am hoping the SWPL experience along with good coaching etc will turn our youth success rate
around. Alternatively we could do what premier do and loan our youngster out to the highest level clubs
that will take them, truro being one in the past. 2/3 leagues below us. Execeter are doing that at the moment
i believe. Their manager i think friends with tisdale? Although tyler has gone for spells at conference level twice
now so that should help his cause you would think. Not really seen enough of him at any level to pass judgement
to be honest. He does have something but maybe a bit too laid back perhaps? I remember earlier in the season
reading a progamme where he said he was just happy to go with the flow after being asked about always
being on the bench. Or words to that effect.
Anyway, i am starting to get like you here with this essay so i had better stop now. Keep putting the youth
articles out there and i will read them for sure. Good luck with your plumbing.