Do you want James Brent to continue as Chairman/Owner? | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Do you want James Brent to continue as Chairman/Owner?

Do you want JB to continue as Chairman/Owner

• Yes

Votes: 168 75.7%
  • NO

Votes: 54 24.3%

• Total voters

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":1uuhynhc said:
Whilst the 'bright people' who leave Plymouth know better eh??

Horses for courses innit.
I'm bloody glad I spent a decade in Manchester for its thriving art scene, limitless amount of gigs, cosmopolitan communities. To be honest, I'd recommend most 20 somethings go and try living in a different place to their birthplace to be fair.
But now I've moved back I'm determined to make the best of where I am and if you look in the right places then there's plenty to enjoy about living in Plymouth and there is a slight buzz about certain pockets of the city that wasn't there when I left (although not the football club that's for certain).
That said, there is a noticeably more laissez faire attitude about the place generally speaking than other parts of the country and I'd say the place this is most evident is at the football club which is just drifting along at its own nice, slow, unhurried pace. Perhaps we should ditch Semper and run out to the theme from Last Of The Summer Wine?

Jul 29, 2010
Paul_Roberts":y9vridg4 said:
X Isle":y9vridg4 said:
Clearing the debts was surely the first priority of 'the plan'.

It's not 'sexy' enough for most fans but i'll take an owner who prioritises that any day.

If that's all he achieves when his tenure is over then I'll be content.

Yes, although I stubbornly reserve the right to be childishly jealous of other clubs who have been in our desperate situation and come out of it a lot better than we have.

Bournemouth, for example, who during their dark days had to pay their players in the cash that had been taken at the gate that day. Just a few short years later they're on the verge of the Premier League and bidding £3m for Birmingham City players. Then there's Hull, Swansea and Brighton, who were all in as bad if not worse a state as we were.

So while I respect James Brent's efforts to stablise the club financially, I will always feel a little resentment towards him for his shallow pockets. It might be unreasonable of me, but jealousy is a powerful thing.

Bournemouth for Christ's sake!

Not unreasonable at all, can't argue with those sentimentsl, I too am jealous :sad:

The only way to console myself is to think that clubs like Stockport, Chester, Hereford, Darlington etc. are jealous of us having (so far) survived financial troubles with our league status preserved. That said we're not out of the woods, even that small consolation may yet be swept away if the debts aren't cleared in time.

'Shallow pockets'?, maybe. I guess it beats having massive holes in your pockets like Kevin Heaney had, doesn't make the jealousy subside any mind. 'Could have been worse' though doesn't remotely equate to 'it's all good'.

Jul 29, 2010
up_the_line":3uh7weju said:
IJN":3uh7weju said:
Whilst the 'bright people' who leave Plymouth know better eh??

Horses for courses innit.
I'm bloody glad I spent a decade in Manchester for its thriving art scene, limitless amount of gigs, cosmopolitan communities. To be honest, I'd recommend most 20 somethings go and try living in a different place to their birthplace to be fair.
But now I've moved back I'm determined to make the best of where I am and if you look in the right places then there's plenty to enjoy about living in Plymouth and there is a slight buzz about certain pockets of the city that wasn't there when I left (although not the football club that's for certain).
That said, there is a noticeably more laissez faire attitude about the place generally speaking than other parts of the country and I'd say the place this is most evident is at the football club which is just drifting along at its own nice, slow, unhurried pace. Perhaps we should ditch Semper and run out to the theme from Last Of The Summer Wine?

Not that it's got anything to do with the thread, that balanced outlook UTL has more worth than the sweeping dig you quoted. But then broadening horizons always gives better overall perspective.