Does Adams really believe what he is saying ? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Does Adams really believe what he is saying ?

Jan 8, 2006
We have seen too many changes over the course of the season. This is not DAs fault but the failure to invest and make do with loan signings. Oxford, Rovers and Pompey have invested large sums of cash in their squad, we have not. DA is not a magician and he is right we have over achieved on the resources he had at his disposal. If you disagree with that you are deluded. DA has done a great job and I do not believe even Sir Alex could have done a better job. However, whether he wants to stay with at a club who have not shown ambition is another matter. I do believe that the failure to get Smith in was a major setback. Smith was interested as he was prepared to come down and discuss a move. However, he sussed out the situation and made a quick retreat. Smith would have become our Dave Mackay, the man who changed that Derby team into champions.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
not landing alan smith clearly "hurt" dereks ambition.i don't follow notts county but have just looked at the table and they are eighth from bottom.anyone know how many times smith has played for them?

Dec 16, 2004
I agree that making a comparison between DA and Alex Ferguson because of the way they deal with interviews and, by association, indicating that DA has similar talents to AF is ridiculous.

DA has a lot to do to re-establish the credibility he had earlier in the season. Was his earlier success down to good management or good luck? If he does believe what he says (houghton best player by a mile, unlucky to lose, going to win the league etc.) then he is deluded; if he doesn't then what is he hoping to achieve? What he says is not broadcast on MOTD or written in the national press (as per AF) so what impact is there? The players (including Houghton) knew Houghton wasn't the best on the pitch, so did the supporters so please tell what was the objective in saying it?

BTW if you average out the 26 points from 20 games over the whole season then it pits us about where Barnet are; so would you fancy Barnet to win the play-offs against Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers (or Oxford) and Wimbledon?

I hope we can sort it out but we are currently outsiders with every bookie to win the play-offs.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think one of his first priorities next season should be to bring in a defensive coach. I know that is supposedly Wotton's job but our set piece defending last season and this season is costing us dearly, not to mention they seem to just go AWOL in the last 10 minutes.

Sep 6, 2006
nick623":3ryu9z6n said:
We have seen too many changes over the course of the season. This is not DAs fault but the failure to invest and make do with loan signings. Oxford, Rovers and Pompey have invested large sums of cash in their squad, we have not. DA is not a magician and he is right we have over achieved on the resources he had at his disposal. If you disagree with that you are deluded. DA has done a great job and I do not believe even Sir Alex could have done a better job. However, whether he wants to stay with at a club who have not shown ambition is another matter. I do believe that the failure to get Smith in was a major setback. Smith was interested as he was prepared to come down and discuss a move. However, he sussed out the situation and made a quick retreat. Smith would have become our Dave Mackay, the man who changed that Derby team into champions.

What a load of nonsense. You don't even know what his budget was

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
nick623":1rlh66z0 said:
Another green tint in denial.

Significantly, you fail to mention Accrington or Wimbledon amongst the teams that have supposedly invested in their teams.

You eagerly support Adams latest pronouncement that we have over achieved in stuttering into the play-offs but conveniently overlook his statement in late January that we would be promoted and that we were better than Northampton; that has has been conveniently forgotten.

As for Smith, we will never know but he hasn't been able to help Notts County much and as for him becoming our Dave Mackay, absolute rubbish.

And what was it that Smith was supposed to have "sussed out" of a team who were 5 points clear at the top of the League and who were offering him a short term contract?

Jan 8, 2006
The comments from here seem to be lets blame DA for our failures this season. As I have already said he has not had the resources to do the job. It has been suggested this am on here that we have to play the Chelsea lad otherwise we have to pay his full wages, and we cannot afford to pay RRs treatment. If this is the case then the situation is much worse than I imagined. No I do not know the budget, but what I do know is we can only offer short term (one year) contracts and rely on loan players. That is not a recipe for success. When RR and Carey are gone at the end of the season then I suppose DA can be blamed for that too. Deluded fools. I know lets change the manager (again). Bunch of jokers.

Sep 28, 2005
Tunbridge Wells
In the context of resources and the lateness of his appointment, Adams has done well. We have bettered last year in less propitious circumstances.
The fact of a severely restricted budget is well attested from a number of sources. One consequence has been too many loanees; another has been a very small squad. Furthermore the club failed to invest in January when they had a golden opportunity to bring in quality and provide momentum to maintain an automatic promotion and cover for injuries. This was short sighted.
I hope that the new investment money is going towards a better budget for players and not towards a grandstand scheme, which we cannot afford. Let's get up to the championship before we contemplate replacing the grandstand.
Credit to the Board though where it is due; I think in Adams they have found a quality manager who will take us far if we can afford to back him financially.

demportdave":ik7fl8a2 said:
nick623":ik7fl8a2 said:
Another green tint in denial.

Significantly, you fail to mention Accrington or Wimbledon amongst the teams that have supposedly invested in their teams.

You eagerly support Adams latest pronouncement that we have over achieved in stuttering into the play-offs but conveniently overlook his statement in late January that we would be promoted and that we were better than Northampton; that has has been conveniently forgotten.

As for Smith, we will never know but he hasn't been able to help Notts County much and as for him becoming our Dave Mackay, absolute rubbish.

And what was it that Smith was supposed to have "sussed out" of a team who were 5 points clear at the top of the League and who were offering him a short term contract?
Accrington are being financially backed now.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... he_future/
Admittedly he is no abramovic but he has cleared their debts. Something we havnt done yet.
Its enabled coleman to build his team over time(2 seasons after 12 in a previous spell). DA hasnt had the time but he has had a
darned good go in my opinion considering the small squad and constant injuries to key players.
Wimbledon had 4 strikers(2 playing+ 2 on the bench) to choose from in a much bigger squad than
argyle(29 to 18) when we played them recently. Again ardley has built his team over 3/4 seasons.
As for what adams has to say. I am more interested in what we do on the pitch to be honest.
As for smith considering our most used central midfielders have been aged 19,20,21, and 23 then a good manager should be looking
for more experience on and off the pitch. For whatever reason it didnt come off.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Steve.PAFC2012":2w9bar00 said:
I think one of his first priorities next season should be to bring in a defensive coach. I know that is supposedly Wotton's job but our set piece defending last season and this season is costing us dearly, not to mention they seem to just go AWOL in the last 10 minutes.

#What's old sloop jon b doing nowadays...he was a pretty good defensive coach.

Sep 3, 2009
davie nine":1sc3ef4q said:
I agree with that,Cobi. Alex Ferguson started his Man Utd career in 1986 but did not win his first trophy until 1990. DA is well organised, motivated, ambitious and heavily committed.
I hope that our Board and fanbase have some patience with him because, whether it is with PAFC or another club, I believe that he will have a successful management career and if he is forced out he will cause us to regret it.
It is understandable that we are impatient because we have been starved of success but this is a new manager who deserves the opportunity to show his worth.
I have supported Argyle for over 60 years and I believe that he has the potential to provide us with success.

I think it's more a case of if Adams has any patience with the board.

Apr 9, 2011
imo various reasons for our slump since Christmas. Injuries to key players at the wrong time& when they returned a loss of form this kept recurring right up to Brunt when he was injured when scoring for fun. Boeteng has not been the player he was before his injury & return from Palace. Agree some of DAs formations & comments have had people scratching their heads . Our lack of "older heads" in the side to steady things when our backs are against the wall & to stop us repeatedly giving away silly goals. Nelson is a reliable player but that's as far as it goes ,lets face it if he was really good he wouldn't still be at Argyle, but as club captain he is no Paul Wotton, the very type of player we are crying out for.
All in all we are far to lightweight. A slump in form/confidence in Luke McCormick has not helped where has his command of his goal area gone , why has he stopped cutting out crosses? there is no one to organise the defence which looks so fragile. DA will have a full pre season next time & if we don't get promoted , which I'm afraid to say looks highly unlikely then most of this squad will be off giving him a blank canvass to work with so it really will be down to him no excuses.
Hopefully we can do something against Pompey but am travelling more in hope than expectation as all the momentum is with them & for once in the lower leagues we are up against a team with a much bigger fan base than ours.
Good luck all in the last few matches of the season. As for DA believing in what he is saying aren't all managers good at spin nowadays? I remember being infuriated by some of Fletchers & Sheridans remarks

Mar 14, 2009
Weird how none of the stuff Adams said at the start of the season is highlighted.

Wasn't it him who said this league everyone preforms better away from home. He said how the away teams would do better overall in this league. Oxford are a shining example of this currently. If it wasn't for their away from since Christmas they wouldn't be still in the top 3. Its therefore no surprise Argyle have a much better record away from home than at home. I think he could see from those comments he made that he had may have an issue in trying to win at HP and that it would actually be easier to build a side who could perform away.

It was also him that said our defence would leak more goals than last year. He already knew what an more open style of play would bring. It would expose these players weaknesses more.

He knew the problems he faced before a ball was kicked. He had so little time to change things in pre-season that I think we will see just how good DA is next season should we fail in our playoff attempt.

If he fails, I guess the people who don't believe in him currently will be right. Yet if he does turn it around I hope that people will realise that 12 months in football management isn't enough time to build a club.

C

Cobi Budge.

I wasn't comparing Alex Ferguson's managerial ability with Derek's. I was comparing their managerial style, which is definitely similar.

As I say, praise/big up your players/yourself in the media, criticise your player/yourself in the dressing room, nothing wrong with that approach.

Mar 14, 2009
Cobi Budge.":13gk3i5d said:
I wasn't comparing Alex Ferguson's managerial ability with Derek's. I was comparing their managerial style, which is definitely similar.

As I say, praise/big up your players/yourself in the media, criticise your player/yourself in the dressing room, nothing wrong with that approach.

Your right Ferguson did it all the time on how Man Utd didn't deserve to lose that game, Yet he isn't going to go back to the dressing room to tell his players that as many ex man utd players have testified.