England Manager at Euro 2012 | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Manager at Euro 2012

bathpilgrim":3ql3zdxg said:
1) I know what you mean, it is very frustrating to see a team that England beat fairly comfortably a few weeks ago still above us in the rankings especially as we put out an experimental team and they put out their best team.

2) By the way - 42nd, wow !! Fingers crossed you can out some results together and edge above Armenia.

1) So you don't think that their being the reigning European and World Champions should give them the "teeny-est" edge on England in the rankings, then? Oh, no, stupid question, of course YOU wouldn't! :lol: :roll:

2) We'll happily settle for 42nd in our fun sport for the time being. Of course, we are FOURTH in the World at our National Sport, and currently above England, I do believe! :whistle:

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Jones the Green":2ot1enm4 said:
bathpilgrim":2ot1enm4 said:
1) I know what you mean, it is very frustrating to see a team that England beat fairly comfortably a few weeks ago still above us in the rankings especially as we put out an experimental team and they put out their best team.

2) By the way - 42nd, wow !! Fingers crossed you can out some results together and edge above Armenia.

1) So you don't think that their being the reigning European and World Champions should give them the "teeny-est" edge on England in the rankings, then? Oh, no, stupid question, of course YOU wouldn't! :lol: :roll:

2) We'll happily settle for 42nd in our fun sport for the time being. Of course, we are FOURTH in the World at our National Sport, and currently above England, I do believe! :whistle:

FOURTH in the World :lol: Bit like St. Louis Cardinals winning the World series isn't it :cool:

Mar 2, 2008
Jones the Green":362sf0w6 said:
bathpilgrim":362sf0w6 said:

:funny:
There's only 8 serious teams who play it!

L

Lord Tisdale

Jones the Green":2t0wmu1t said:
Of course, we are FOURTH in the World at our National Sport, and currently above England, I do believe! :whistle:

Would that be behind New Zealand, Australia and the Falkland Islands ?

Lord Tisdale":179cog4a said:
Jones the Green":179cog4a said:
Of course, we are FOURTH in the World at our National Sport, and currently above England, I do believe! :whistle:

Would that be behind New Zealand, Australia and the Falkland Islands ?

Oh, you mean sheep-sh*gging! :lol:

Naw, with Gloucestershire, Somerset, Herefordshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire in the mix, you English are still far and away Number One at that!!! :twisted:

Greenblooded1":jtgbpwxt said:
Here we are on a thread about the England manager for Euro 2012 & a Welshman has to hijack & talk about sheep sh*gging!

Things never change :doh:

Ahem! Do believe it was His Lordship who raised the subject! :roll:

Fair enough, though. After all, the Tories sh*g everybody else over, so why not sheep? :mad:

Back on subject, then, and you England boys have missed out on the chance of a proper Manager! Gus Hiddink has decided to follow people like Roberto Carlos and Samuel Eto'o and go for the big money on offer from Russian Billionaire Suleyman Kerimov.

He has joined Kerimov's Dagestan-based side, Anzhi Makhachkala, as their new manager!

So 'Arry's chances seem to have substantially improved, and in my opinion, England's chances have therefore correspondingly plumeted! :facepalm:

How in God's name can Harry Redknapp be the favourite for the England manager's job? :crazy:

He has NO track record to speak of for such a post, he has never won a National Championship, and has very little experience of club international football. He has has a couple of OK seasons with Spurs, and that's it. If he is really the best candidate England can come up with, then heaven help you at the Euros.

I originally thought bathpilgrim's suggestion of recalling Sven was daft, but I have to say even that would be a lot better than appointing 'Arry!

B

bathpilgrim

jerryatricjanner":14r45o02 said:
Please God no, slim chance becomes no chance.

The FA wouldn't do it - would they !!??

I wouldn't agree with "no chance" after all we still have very good players, a football pedigree and the best support, so we never have no chance, but I would agree that this will knock our chances significantly against teams with intellectually superior leadership such as Germany, Spain and Holland.

Nov 8, 2010
bathpilgrim":3u67kq6x said:
jerryatricjanner":3u67kq6x said:
Please God no, slim chance becomes no chance.

The FA wouldn't do it - would they !!??

I wouldn't agree with "no chance" after all we still have very good players, a football pedigree and the best support, so we never have no chance, but I would agree that this will knock our chances significantly against teams with intellectually superior leadership such as Germany, Spain and Holland.

Germany tend to have no qualms about appointing assistant managers with no managerial experience or their under-21 bosses. Has never done them much harm. But yeah, not Pearce!

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
Jones the Green":27chneys said:
How in God's name can Harry Redknapp be the favourite for the England manager's job? :crazy:

He has NO track record to speak of for such a post, he has never won a National Championship, and has very little experience of club international football.

Jones, I tend to respect your posts. However, Sven and Fabio pretty much had all the career attributes you talk of, and they didn't do too well (of course, it depends what people may want to call 'doing well').

I am certain that Harry would do no worse. One thing he'll be able to do is galvanise the players, they'll respect him and by and large, I think he'll breath a huge amount of fresh air into the team. He's a man-manager, he'll get the best out of some players. The English speaking side of things must help when trying to pump up a team at half time in the quarter finals of a major tournament? (Not that the players should need pumping up!). Please don't quote McClaren, as he was never, ever ready to manage England.

Harry Redknapp is favourite for the England job, because he's the best English manager around at the moment. Sure, he's had resources, but so have most of the best managers. I do however think people go over the top when they say how well he's done at Spurs, because he's had a fair wedge of money to throw around. That said, I do believe in his management skills, although I've not analysed his or Spurs' tactics enough to know if he's astute enough in that department for International football.

Of course, the above is only relevant if you wanted an English manager.

Touching back on his tactical awareness, I'm not sure 'tactically' is the best way for the English to play. Fast-tempo and up and at 'em, is my preferred style of play. It suits the players, it suits the English. It's what the English are all about. Why do we want to play like Spain or the Dutch? (some quarters do). It's just not in us. Sure, it's great to watch, but that style is ingrained in them. Stick to what we do best, a la Pulis and Stoke.

Some say it wouldn't work at International level, and I'm not sure it would against Brazil or Spain, but it certainly could against most other teams I can think of.

B

bathpilgrim

Alex Horne, general secretary of the FA, said the governing body will not be rushed into making an announcement. "There's definitely a list. [We] talk about it regularly," he told BBC Sport. "It's a back end of the season decision for us. "A lot of the managers on the list are employed and we don't want to interrupt anyone's season."

Please allow me to translate this.....

"We have offered the job to Harry Redknapp. He has verbally accepted. Spurs are not happy about it but we have agreed to all keep it quiet until the end of Spurs' season so Harry's role as manager is not undermined and the players will keep playing for him"

If I was a bookie I would cease taking bets on Redknapp.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
bathpilgrim":2f1q3c54 said:
Alex Horne, general secretary of the FA, said the governing body will not be rushed into making an announcement. "There's definitely a list. [We] talk about it regularly," he told BBC Sport. "It's a back end of the season decision for us. "A lot of the managers on the list are employed and we don't want to interrupt anyone's season."

Please allow me to translate this.....

"We have offered the job to Harry Redknapp. He has verbally accepted. Spurs are not happy about it but we have agreed to all keep it quiet until the end of Spurs' season so Harry's role as manager is not undermined and the players will keep playing for him"

If I was a bookie I would cease taking bets on Redknapp.
This.

I'd prefer Roy Hodgson though. Better manager by far and proven to be top class over the continent. If we can't get Mourhino, Guardiola or Hiddink (let's face it, the best managers on the planet aren't English) then we should go for Roy. He's the best of English for sure.