England U20 international at Home Park | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England U20 international at Home Park

L G

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
monkeywrench":c1ys0fow said:
In a slightly related matter, England U18s are playing Wales U18s at Truro on Friday. First international ever in Cornwall apparently.
and sticking with the youth theme...great to see one of our youth teams beating Chelsea 2-0 today.
The keeper lives in Lostwithiel :cool:

Jun 16, 2006
Dawlish Warren":2m7ykre6 said:
Was it an England under 21 game when Home Park was invaded by Wolves fans hoping to see Andy Mutch and Steve Bull together? Would look it up but scared to see how long ago it was.....late 80's? They had their own end didn't they? What a partnership that was.

1989 vs Poland. Half the team was made up of Man City's youngsters Hinchcliffe, Redmond, White, Brightwell and Paul Lake who went on to form basis of side that beat Hudderfield 10-1 four days before beating Argyle 6-2 and then Man Utd 5-1. More famously they got done by Stretch Evans 3-2 at Home Park.

Feb 18, 2015
Aye, but give the Man City manager credit. Building a team to beat Man Utd 5-1 and also have to deal with Stretch takes some vision and organisation. You can't cover all your bases.

Seeing some of those names they had some squad. Their equivalent of the Class of 92 with a lot less trophies.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 30, 2004
Pasties and Cider":30zl3lqm said:
Oh have we got an international at Home Park then? That's so 'village'.

Mark, I thing you might have scored a bit of an own goal with that comment. The first fixture for the England Under 20's this season was staged at Telford in front of a crowd of 3000.That's the sort of grounds we are in competition with to stage England Under 20's matches...... That is so so village.

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
ghost of hughie reed":uifxeykc said:
Any Argyle players elegible and credible for a cameo appearance?
Way back in time the FA would announce an injury late on and then call up a local lad to cover. They hoped that it would sell a few more tickets if a local player was involved but they rarely have any intention of playing him. It happened all over the country. Locally John Newman and Dave Corbett are two examples that cone to mind.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 30, 2004
Off the top of my head didn't Norman Piper and Colin Sullivan get representative honours.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 30, 2004
Richard Reynolds also played for England youth in the dim and distant past.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
oddball":2bq2hg4f said:
Pasties and Cider":2bq2hg4f said:
Oh have we got an international at Home Park then? That's so 'village'.

Mark, I thing you might have scored a bit of an own goal with that comment. The first fixture for the England Under 20's this season was staged at Telford in front of a crowd of 3000.That's the sort of grounds we are in competition with to stage England Under 20's matches...... That is so so village.
The one after was at Bournemouth. Telford have a very nice modern ground, with capacity more than some League 2 clubs.

C

Cobi Budge.

BBC:

It will be the first England game to be held at Home Park since the Under-21s beat Poland 2-1 in 1989.

I swear the England under 18's (I think it was that age category) played a game at HP when we were in the championship, in fact I'm 100% because I was there, don't recall the year and who against though.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
As the club have said this will be an early warm up game for USA who have qualified for the U 20 World Cup Finals being held in New Zealand, commencing at the end of May. Needless to say England didn't make it. OF the 19 world cups held since 1977, Argentina have won it 6 times and Brazil 5 times. England's best performance is third in 1993,which says it all.

Germany, Brazil and Argentina will be there and seem to be the favourites.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Qualifying process (as i understand it) is quite difficult though. We topped the first round group, and then the round after (the elite round) only the top team in each group qualifies and we came second due to a 94th minute goal from Ukraine who qualified instead. That's not qualifying for the world cup though that's for the European Championships, the top 3 from each the two groups in the U19's European Championships go through to the U20 World cup, and we were quite unlucky not to qualify really.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
CobiBudge":22bwy8ca said:
]It will be the first England game to be held at Home Park since the Under-21s beat Poland 2-1 in 1989.

I swear the England under 18's (I think it was that age category) played a game at HP when we were in the championship, in fact I'm 100% because I was there, don't recall the year and who against though.[/quote]

Correct. V belgium. Michael owen hatrick

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge.":qvsq8aip said:
BBC:

It will be the first England game to be held at Home Park since the Under-21s beat Poland 2-1 in 1989.

I swear the England under 18's (I think it was that age category) played a game at HP when we were in the championship, in fact I'm 100% because I was there, don't recall the year and who against though.

ENGLAND REPRESENTATIVE GAMES AT HOME PARK

ā€¢ Youth International v Wales, 1952
ā€¢ Youth International v Denmark, 1955
ā€¢ Youth International v Eire, 1957
ā€¢ Youth International v Belgium, 1962
ā€¢ Football League v Irish League, 1966
ā€¢ Under-23 v Bulgaria, 1970
ā€¢ Schools International v Wales,1970
ā€¢ Amateur International v Italy, 1972
ā€¢ Amateur England XI v Argyle, 1972
ā€¢ Amateur International v Finland, 1973
ā€¢ Under-23 v Poland, 1973
ā€¢ Under-21 European Championship v Poland, 1989
ā€¢ Schools Under-15 v Belgium, 1995
ā€¢ Schools Under-18 v Scotland, 2006
ā€¢ Schools Under-18 v Northern Ireland, 2013

England schools aren't considered part of the England set up by many which is why it'll have been left out.