England U20 international at Home Park | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England U20 international at Home Park

P

Paul_Roberts

up_the_line":hvqqgsm8 said:
CobiBudge":hvqqgsm8 said:
]It will be the first England game to be held at Home Park since the Under-21s beat Poland 2-1 in 1989.

I swear the England under 18's (I think it was that age category) played a game at HP when we were in the championship, in fact I'm 100% because I was there, don't recall the year and who against though.

Correct. V belgium. Michael owen hatrick[/quote]

Michael Owen wouldn't have played for England youth when we were in the Championship - that would have been years earlier.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
You're right Paul it was 1995 and it was u15s but still evidence of the BBC reports inaccuracy. In honesty I missed the bit where cobi said it was during the championship years.
Besides I was at the Belgium game. ,think it ended about 7-1 to England and it snowed during the game

T

Tyhee_Slim

oddball":3lcnpil8 said:
Off the top of my head didn't Norman Piper and Colin Sullivan get representative honours.

Pretty sure you're right, Piper v Bulgaria in 1970 and Sully v Finland a couple of years later I think. The Bulgaria match was, I think, parr of the 'Maylower 70' celebrations in the city. Not sure if it was a qualifier for a tournament, though I think international football was, outside the top level, taken far less importantly then, so the FA was happy to allow a player from the host club to play. Strangely though, I think players themselves took the honour of representing their country more seriously, and for far better reasons than today's players, i.e. not just something to put on their CV.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Silly details stick in my mind. My only memory of the 1970 under 23 game v Bulgaria was that all their players purchased wallpaper to take back with them, something that was not readily available in their homeland. I seem to recall them having their picture taken outside a shop just to the east of the Viaduct - was it Widgers perhaps?

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
The game up-the-line is referring too in the Champ years is the England Schoolboys if I remember correctly. Against Scotland in 2006.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I attended both of those U 23 games in which Piper and Sullivan played. Looking at the stats provided by Lundan I found it surprising that 28,000 attended the first game against Bulgaria yet only 18,000 the Poland game a couple of years later. Perhaps World cup fever was fresher in peoples' minds?