Exeter City Yes or No | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter City Yes or No

Sep 13, 2003
The-Pilgrim":11pz7524 said:
It'll be interesting to see how many of the Blackpool fans that have boycotted all season suddenly turn up at Wembley!

I was under the impression that Blackpool fans are only boycotting the home games, so would expect then to take about 25k to Wembley.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
German Shepherd":cts99hi4 said:
I work in Blackpool so know a lot about what Oyston (their chairman) has done to their club. Think Stapleton/Heaney/Panda & multiply that by 10. So it's a big fat yes for Exeter from me, even though I'd be missing out on my nearest match next season

Yep, this for me.

Tisdale has done a fantastic job, and the club has been run pretty well. I'd much rather they go up than Blackpool.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
As much as being able to see a couple of derbies next season might appeal, I have to admit I really don't want them to be anywhere near us in terms of League position. They've been living in our shadow so long and that little tinpot club and their pathetic fanbase don't deserve to be in the same division as Plymouth Argyle. Come on Blackpool!!

Mar 14, 2009
I think if we are honest we would hate this current situation if we hadn't got promoted.

It's a lot easier to wish your rival "well" when we have done the double over them and are already promoted.

They are one of the best footballing sides in the division to watch on the eye. They pass n move with intent because they have players like Wakins that can hurt you. They keep hold of the ball rentention wise much better than Argyle. Something we could learn from. It's looks simple but Argyle make it damn hard work and would benefit from being less careless.

However, if you watch both games just as you think why didn't they finish in the top 3 the answer stares you in the face. Yes, they were by far the better side in both games BUT they crumbled TWICE all too easily. Carlisle were dead and buried in both games. Yet, to their credit, they came back. You could argue that shows great character but you must also look at the defending. Both 3rd goals Carlise scored (home & away) were from good crosses but a physical presence in the box seemed too much for Exeter to handle. Blackpool have a couple of big units so will be interesting to see how they handle them. Wembley though should suit Exeter's game.

I can now see why Argyle though beat Exeter. For whilst they probably played a better style/brand of football than Argyle throughout the season, Argyle were a much more resilient, battle hardened team. You can argue, at times we were fortunate, e.g. Doncaster away, but it has to be said we were better as a defensive unit it would seem. When we went 1-0 up, we would normally take something out of the game. We would, especially away from home, kill the game off. It's an art. Something where l do wonder if this Exeter side can do after losing 2 goal leads twice and all too quickly.

At the start of the season l said somewhere on here they were my dark horses to watch in this league. I do want them to get promoted for two reasons. One, as l often said lm don't see them as serious rivals which is maybe why l can say they have played some of the best football, along with Doncaster & Portsmouth, but done it on an incredible less sizeable budget. Two, l had a cheeky bet on them to get promoted via the playoffs because l thought with Wheeler, Watkins, Grant and Reid they would have enough fire power to score the goals to get them over the line. Although when the big game came, he dropped Reid so l found that was interesting.

I look back last year when we made it to Wembley. I was buzzing. However, if you lose it makes the whole event/day really sickening. The stress and emotions you go through are a real torture, even if you win. Yes it's a great day out. Yes it's a brilliant way to get promoted but you then your still 3/4 weeks behind everyone's else as preparation wise teams get a head start on you knowing what league they are in next season. Your always playing catch up. The europhia of winning wil probably get you through the summer and help you into a brand new season. Yet if you don't win, it can have the reverse effect. That's what makes what Adams did even more remarkable when you look back this season.

He had less preparation time to build a squad than other managers. He then recruited a whole brand new playing squad, except a few core individuals he wanted to remain onto. He then had to get the club over the emotions of losing a playoff final and a terrible start of this season's league campaign. Finally, he then eradicated the memories of last season by not limping over the line.

So while City now have their day at Wembley, and good luck to them, lm for one glad it isn't us and that our season was completed a few weeks back and we can just sit back and enjoy what pre-season has install for us.

Oh and if we are looking for a player who can cross a ball, look no further than Carlise's Adams. Makes Wylde look very average when you see his quality of deliveries. A terrific player. Him and Carey in the same team would be very exciting.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Mellor and Reid both returning to the scene of last season's "no show".

Think Matt will miss out due to injury.

Apr 3, 2010
German Shepherd":hi1z6941 said:
I work in Blackpool so know a lot about what Oyston (their chairman) has done to their club. Think Stapleton/Heaney/Panda & multiply that by 10. So it's a big fat yes for Exeter from me, even though I'd be missing out on my nearest match next season

Good point but I don't think it really makes a difference what league they're in. The damage is done until Oyston goes these fans won't return.

I work in Preston and there are a few Blackpool fans I work with who haven't attended a game for the last 18 months and apparently are prepared to miss the Wembley game to make their point heard.

From a selfish point of view I'd like them to come up for the local game for me but can't help but feel sorry for their fans.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
For me, the last time there was a league between us was when they were above us so next season at least I'd like the benefit of being 100% better than them in the eyes of the local media. After we lost last year in the PO final I'd like them to go through the same thing. When/if they do get promoted to league one I'd like it to be as third place with absolutely no fanfare whatsoever.

We've had two season's with them ripping us as bottle jobs so I'd want that for them also. Plus, I'd want them to have to spend Watkins windfall next year to get out of league two.

Aug 13, 2009
100% yes
The atmosphere in these games tend to be second to none. (my son still says the Tuesday night victory in 2002 was one of the best games he's ever been to regarding atmosphere and action and I agree with him)
Also, its just up the road, meaning I can be back for my tea after the game.

Having said that, Blackpool were the best team I saw last season so it wont be easy for the six-toes.

Apr 6, 2009
I had such a great weekend last season at Blackpool.

Coupled with the scramble for tickets at the Exeter game I would prefer Blackpool.

Plus I don't want Exeter to even have a chance of being above us and sure fire way of that is to keep them down in League 2.

I don't mind travelling so for me Blackpool to go up

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
santos73":3uh0kvly said:
100% yes
The atmosphere in these games tend to be second to none. (my son still says the Tuesday night victory in 2002 was one of the best games he's ever been to regarding atmosphere and action and I agree with him)
Also, its just up the road, meaning I can be back for my tea after the game.

Having said that, Blackpool were the best team I saw last season so it wont be easy for the six-toes.

I will agree with that. I could not understand how Blackpool could start without Delfuenso [?] in the first leg. He was irrepressible on the wing on that dreaded misty Tuesday night at Argyle