Goals needed | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goals needed

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
You may be right that we need some more firepower, but the reasons you state in your post are in my opinion, wrong.

Reid is not "average at best" and his injuries have proven as much since we have not looked as threatening without him. He's managed 6 goals this year without a single penalty. Baring in mind he's missed 6 or so games and probably hasn't been fully fit in the few others he has played.

Likewise Jervis is now into double figures for the season and Carey not far off.

Also, your original post was at the start of October saying we'll only make the playoffs without more strikers, however two months later we are still top of the league and two points clear. So our current situation doesn't completely solve your point.

Whilst I agree we need a better backup option that Brunt, I would still say it's rare we lack firepower. In fact only twice all season have we not scored, and in 8/19 games we have scored more than once.

What we need is to be more clinical.

Oct 5, 2013
My impression is that we appear to score more goals when Brunty is on the pitch than off it (e.g. last night) - would be interesting to know, as obviously scoring goals is not solely down to the one who scores them, it's about the team effort in arriving at that.
Can anyone rake out the statistics on this - goals scored with Brunty on pitch, against goals scored with Brunty not on pitch?!

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Jackleslie_21":qh9sd891 said:
argobenz":qh9sd891 said:
IMHO Ruben is pretty average at best, and without his penalties his return is pretty poor. Jervis looks far more the part but how long do we have him?

I think we need another goalscorer if we really are going to push for automatic promotion, If not we will probably need the play-off's.

Still much better worrying about the best way to go up, than the previous hoping not to go down.

:scarf:

IMHO Ruben is pretty average at best, WOW

you clearly have not come down from whatever drugs you took last night
have a word with yourself man :facepalm:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your insults, he isn't even our top goalscorer.

League Two Top Scorers
Rank Player Name Team Goals
1 Jay Simpson Leyton Orient 14
2 Barry Corr Cambridge United 9
2 Jabo Ibehre Carlisle United 9
2 Matty Taylor Bristol Rovers 9
2 Josh Windass Accrington Stanley 9
3 Marc Richards Northampton Town 8
3 Kemar Roofe Oxford United 8
4 Ryan Bird Yeovil Town 7
4 Graham Carey Plymouth Argyle 7
4 Jake Jervis Plymouth Argyle 7
4 Liam Sercombe Oxford United 7
5 Thomas Barkhuizen Morecambe 6
5 Michael Gash Barnet 6
5 Matt Green Mansfield Town 6
5 Billy Kee Accrington Stanley 6
5 Jack Marriott Luton Town 6
5 Cameron McGeehan Luton Town 6
5 Shaun Miller Morecambe 6
5 Rhys Murphy Crawley Town 6
5 Tom Nichols Exeter City 6
5 Billy Paynter Hartlepool United 6
5 Reuben Reid Plymouth Argyle 6
6 John Akinde Barnet 5
6 Derek Asamoah Carlisle United 5
6 Dominic Calvert-Lewin Northampton Town 5

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Nobby":176z6wl3 said:
You may be right that we need some more firepower, but the reasons you state in your post are in my opinion, wrong.

Reid is not "average at best" and his injuries have proven as much since we have not looked as threatening without him. He's managed 6 goals this year without a single penalty. Baring in mind he's missed 6 or so games and probably hasn't been fully fit in the few others he has played.

Likewise Jervis is now into double figures for the season and Carey not far off.

Also, your original post was at the start of October saying we'll only make the playoffs without more strikers, however two months later we are still top of the league and two points clear. So our current situation doesn't completely solve your point.

Whilst I agree we need a better backup option that Brunt, I would still say it's rare we lack firepower. In fact only twice all season have we not scored, and in 8/19 games we have scored more than once.

He is actually below average with 6 goals this season whilst the leading scorer has 14, he is third in our club?!?

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Some of you are missing the point, I'm happy for Ruben to be playing but I feel we need another goalscorer "IF" we hope to gain automatic promotion.

If we expect Jervis and Carey to keep scoring fine, but I think both are not playing like they were earlier in the season.

Just my opinion.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
argobenz":2p3x80re said:
Jackleslie_21":2p3x80re said:
argobenz":2p3x80re said:
IMHO Ruben is pretty average at best, and without his penalties his return is pretty poor. Jervis looks far more the part but how long do we have him?

I think we need another goalscorer if we really are going to push for automatic promotion, If not we will probably need the play-off's.

Still much better worrying about the best way to go up, than the previous hoping not to go down.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your insults, he isn't even our top goalscorer.

League Two Top Scorers
5 Michael Gash Barnet 6
6 John Akinde Barnet 5

Facts like 3 players in the leagues top 5 of goalscorers, more than any other side in the division? Reuben still happily sitting there despite having missed more games than he's played. Those kind of facts?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
argobenz":1aaxchjv said:
Nobby":1aaxchjv said:

He is actually below average with 6 goals this season whilst the leading scorer has 14, he is third in our club?!?

Alexis Sanchez has 6, the top scorer Vardy has 13. Does it mean Vardy is a better player?

Reid has scored 6 in 11. The majority of the guys JUST above him, have played 7 or 8 more games.

If you take it as goals per game, which is far for a striker, Reid is performing above average.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
argobenz":atj97bpj said:
Jackleslie_21":atj97bpj said:
argobenz":atj97bpj said:

League Two Top Scorers
5 Michael Gash Barnet 6
6 John Akinde Barnet 5

You're braindead :thumbs:

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Nobby":4zjtz4ru said:
argobenz":4zjtz4ru said:
Nobby":4zjtz4ru said:

Alexis Sanchez has 6, the top scorer Vardy has 13. Does it mean Vardy is a better player?

Reid has scored 6 in 11. The majority of the guys JUST above him, have played 7 or 8 more games.

If you take it as goals per game, which is far for a striker, Reid is performing above average.

Currently Vardy is the best, his role is to score goals and he's doing it better than anyone at the moment.

How else are you meant to judge them?

And Sanchez is in a far more talented team, imagine if Vardy was playing for a team who dominated most games rather than counter attacked.

C

Cobi Budge.

We've played 20 league matches and we've only failed to score in 2 of them. I'm pretty sure that's the best record in L2 in terms of scoring in each game. Not sure goalscoring is the big problem people seem to believe it is.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge.":3hgff9mh said:
We've played 20 league matches and we've only failed to score in 2 of them. I'm pretty sure that's the best record in L2 in terms of scoring in each game. Not sure goalscoring is the big problem people seem to believe it is.
It is, but it's joint with Oxford, Northampton, Carlisle and Orient. There's a fair few other teams only just behind too.

Sep 6, 2006
argobenz":3tz2lhox said:

Go to page 1 of the idiots guide to football. Jervis is not fit to tie up Reuban's boots and has looked very average without him alongside.
I agree with you we need another striker though.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Insulting, but valid.
Reid seems to function best perhaps as the focal point of attack, doubt he has the same pampering at present tsctically as Sheridan gave, but I should not swap him in Jan for any other L2 striker.