Goals needed | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goals needed

C

Cobi Budge.

When he pulls his finger out & works I rate Jervis highly, I'm surprised some don't.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":l57gmteg said:
When he pulls his finger out & works I rate Jervis highly, I'm surprised some don't.

Perhaps you answered that with your condition in your own statement eh?

C

Cobi Budge.

Hardly. Diego Costa has looked pretty lazy for Chelsea this season, that doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":3r196k9v said:
Hardly. Diego Costa has looked pretty lazy for Chelsea this season, that doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

And how many has he scored? Where are Chelski in the League?
Course at the start of the season you posted that we had SEVEN decent strikers :funny: :funny: I remember it well it was so ridiculous.

C

Cobi Budge.

Balham_Green":qaxmsltv said:
Cobi Budge.":qaxmsltv said:

Course at the start of the season you posted that we had SEVEN decent strikers :funny: :funny: I remember it well it was so ridiculous.

I said we had a decent selection of strikers, which we do. Reid, Brunt, Jervis, Tanner, Smalley, Rooney & Harvey, most league 2 sides would be very happy with that pool to pick from.

Our problem is more to with chance creation than chance conversion. It's naive and overly-simplistic to think that we'd suddenly start scoring more goals if we signed another forward.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":1cmmivzq said:
Balham_Green":1cmmivzq said:
Cobi Budge.":1cmmivzq said:

I said we had a decent selection of strikers, which we do. Reid, Brunt, Jervis, Tanner, Smalley, Rooney & Harvey, most league 2 sides would be very happy with that pool to pick from.

Our problem is more to with chance creation than chance conversion. It's naive and overly-simplistic to think that we'd suddenly start scoring more goals if we signed another forward.

So that would be the Smalley, Rooney and Harvey that didnt get off the bench on Saturday would it? And Tanner is not a striker. You clearly don't understand the definition of the word. It is 'naive and simplistic' to think those strikers would be welcome by other League 2 sides. The only one is Reid.
Oh and by the way, strikers dont JUST 'convert' chances they 'create' them too. Its what strikers do. Good ones anyway. They are not just there to finish something off in the 6 yard box. Finally if you have a bit of pace up front it changes the whole dynamic. The defence have to sit deep and it creates more space in Midfield. Although you appear to think you know everything about football from the tone of your post you still have a lot to learn in reality.

Sep 6, 2006
SwimWithTheTide":1flup7z3 said:
Very rich of you to talk about "tone" of posts BG.

Who is it that raises comments about being 'simplistic and naive' then if you really want to waste your time discussing this?

'Jervis doesn't try' is something of a lazy cliché. While he is an inconsistent player, his work rate is always more than adequate.

Reuben is by far our best striker and an excellent goalscorer when fit. Carey is a good consistent goalscorer from midfield, Jervis is a streaky but not bad goalscorer and Wylde notches the odd goal. The problem is injuries. How many players can we justify signing as cover for injured players?

TCL

Jan 25, 2012
Nobody can be sure how long Reid will be out for however, when he does return he could pick up another injury after just one or two games or even fail to score so I think Argo do need somebody to put the ball in the onion bag on a regular basis & not occasionally just to keep Jervis, Reid & even Brunt on their toes.
All the players need healthy competition & understand that if they don't perform their position in the team is at risk. At the moment there is nobody snapping on the heals of any of the regulars in any position (the Cambridge game a case in point when no subs were brought on) so become too casual as they know their position in the team is assured regardless of how badly they perform. Competition is needed for the better of the team, if anybody can't handle that then they should leave.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Our strikers all have different strengths and are all different in style. Brunt for example would be much better suited to a 4-4-2 formation with a finisher along side him. Reid is great at running the channels and using his strength. He is feared in this league and is regarded as a right old pest. Jervis is again different to the other 2 and is not someone I would class as an out and out striker. Tanner is best suited in the hole but doesn't have the vision to carry that position yet. Anyway Carey has that sewn up for us.
The main problem is injuries and that lack of squad depth. Such a high standard was set at the start of the season anything less is seen as failure. To lose a 20 goal a season striker takes its toll. If Reid comes back and gets 20 goals again this season we will go up as he will be on one serious streak. Glass half full for me.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
One of my biggest concerns is how easy it is for visiting goalkeepers, we rarely make them pull off a save let alone score past them.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Any side in this league without their two most influential stacking threats would struggle, it isn't just an Argyle problem.