Goals pay the rent | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goals pay the rent

Apr 17, 2013
Complete faith in Adams. I believe he will have recognised failings and have both free agents and January targets in mind to give us the cutting edge that we finished last season with. Patience is a virtue that we are going to need for a while!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
wightboy":2y1wm4lg said:
Complete faith in Adams. I believe he will have recognised failings and have both free agents and January targets in mind to give us the cutting edge that we finished last season with. Patience is a virtue that we are going to need for a while!
i agree.no need to be trigger happy with derek.i believe he is an excellent manager and will prove it by seasons end.

Sep 6, 2006
wightboy":1qx7stxd said:

So the question is why hasn't he recognized those failings before if he is such a great manager?

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
Steve Evans":16bjelyu said:
wightboy":16bjelyu said:
i agree.no need to be trigger happy with derek.i believe he is an excellent manager and will prove it by seasons end.

Whilst that sounds grand January is 3 and a half Months away and more importantly a shed load of games away! We could well be a sinking ship by then If our pointage doesn't improve. I don't think we will or can afford to wait until Jan to address the obvious goal scoring issue.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Bubba":jr1yuntb said:
Steve Evans":jr1yuntb said:
wightboy":jr1yuntb said:

Whilst that sounds grand January is 3 and a half Months away and more importantly a shed load of games away! We could well be a sinking ship by then If our pointage doesn't improve. I don't think we will or can afford to wait until Jan to address the obvious goal scoring issue.

I'm pretty sure we'll pick up before then. Carey will score goals, Bradley will get a few from corners and free kicks and Jarvis will chip in a few. Chifty is getting towards the pace as well.

Today was about shoring up the defence and although it might not have been pretty, we came away with a clean sheet and a point. We've played well and matched some good teams more than we've played badly, but the results haven't come our way due to injuries and suspensions.

I think all the parts are there, just got to fit them together and build on the small steps taken today.

May 16, 2016
Balham_Green":3dfk5cya said:
wightboy":3dfk5cya said:

So the question is why hasn't he recognized those failings before if he is such a great manager?

He did recognise our failings. Unfortunately, his efforts to remedy them weren't rewarded with his attempted signings wanting to commit to us. Money ? Location ? Moaning Fans ? Pick your own reasons.

Rob_GT4":328g6euz said:
Wow backtracking already are we? I'll tell you what, to save your blushes I'll just literally pick one thread from just over a month ago, because otherwise this could get embarrassing and I know you've got a reputation and previous on here haven't you.

The thread was called 'the competitiveness of league one' here:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=100288&start=13

Replying to a thread about the quality of our signings not being that great so far I wrote

I've been surprised by the quality some of the 'lesser' teams have got let alone the teams towards the top end (Blackburn have some ridiculous players for this level). I would go so far as to say that actually our squads is one of the weakest I've seen so far and is pretty much still just a good league 2 squad, but luckily we've got Derek Adams who will no doubt get the most out of them.

to which you replied

Balham_Green":328g6euz said:
So you have assessed all the squads have you? You have an in depth knowledge of all lower league players? I dont think you know what you are talking about.

Going round on this forum telling informed people that they don't know what they're talking about, and ending up being wrong is embarrassing and abusive. Still I bit my tongue and replied:

Excuse me?

I may not be an expert but I'd say I have a pretty good grasp yes, it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

Anybody reasonably savvy that also goes on general league 1 forums with numerous fans from all clubs commenting would know and have a much better idea of the bigger picture than the insular view you get from a forum focussed on one club like this.

None of us know for sure how we well we'll make the step up, but I stand by everything that I've said and I absolutely believe Derek Adams will need to overachieve with this squad.

And everything I've said is spot on. But still:

So you get you 'facts' from other fans forums? :facepalm: Who's signed Messi then?

I can't be bothered to transcribe entire conversations, but I will post a few more of your gems, purely just from this thread too mind

Load of nonsense on here about avoiding relegation, finishing 18th etc. We are Argyle not Wimbledon.

Fourthly Adams has been successful wherever he has been. He is a shrewd operator in the transfer market, plans meticulously and knows how to win games

There is very little of a step up between L. 2 and 1. Sawyer, McCormick, Fox, Jervis, Carey, Threkeld, Ainsworth have all played at a good level.

and it wasn't just me either, other people commented on your demeanour on the thread:

Adam_R":328g6euz said:
No place for reasoning here now Xy, BG has joined the party, shot everyone down and made his view known!!

So in future before you go around slagging people off with uneducated ill-informed opinions and drivel, think about when you do a complete u-turn how it'll come back to bite you on the ass.

That's me done.

Long-time reader on here, only recently started posting. Seems like you've had your backside handed to you there after many years of being rude to others.

May 1, 2011
oldage":2kjo2wnf said:
The most worrying thing is that most fans could see we were desperate for a goal poacher but DA chose to ignore the evidence.How he constantly says we have goals in the team is beyond me. As soon as we get near the opposition goal we are like rabbits in headlights.If we keep clean sheets but also fail to score we will be relegated,simples.

I'm not sure a goal poacher would work because we create nothing, that's the real worry. Our forwards aren't missing lots of chances and actually that's more of a concern.

Aug 13, 2011
DA ought to ask Peter Shilton and John McGovern about goalscorers. Oh for a bit of Paul Dalton solo magic and finish or a Stevie Castle strike or a Dwight Marshall or Kevin Nugent neat slot. McCall pulling the strings in midfield majestically. We had the best scoring record in all the leagues but couldn't defend at all that season and threw promotion,. Ha!! 93/94! Great to watch though and goals excite.

May 1, 2011
Guiri Green":w0s8b7aq said:
Balham_Green":w0s8b7aq said:
wightboy":w0s8b7aq said:

He did recognise our failings. Unfortunately, his efforts to remedy them weren't rewarded with his attempted signings wanting to commit to us. Money ? Location ? Moaning Fans ? Pick your own reasons.

I think Argyle are the only club in the UK with some fans who might dare to to complain or moan as you put it.......

May 16, 2016
Bristol Rich":kvskhvw0 said:
Guiri Green":kvskhvw0 said:
Balham_Green":kvskhvw0 said:
wightboy":kvskhvw0 said:

I think Argyle are the only club in the UK with some fans who might dare to to complain or moan as you put it.......

I'm sure other clubs fans moan too. I do so ehy shouldn't they ?

Aug 13, 2011
There's a truly accurate underlying title to this thread though. I mean controlling the purse strings to the deprivation of scoring prowess is all very well to keep the books in check but as an entertainment industry you have to look at the business angle from a deeper perspective than just the immediate or you get unavoidable failure on the pitch which can only manifest itself in massive losses in revenue through the turnstiles which makes the current wage bill an insurmountable task to meet and that's imminent if we don't start providing a successful spectacle worth watching. The inexorable catch 22.... We can't afford another fall from grace with the non league grim reaper again beckoning. The slide needs arresting.and by whatever means and whenever, it can be. Asap. it's pretty clear scoring is more of a priority than a new Grandstand. The same as it was when priorities were far too reliant on hosting a phantom World Cup England never got. Stapletons baby.

Aug 13, 2011
On the subject of those players mentioned and the statistics. Yes it's true, statistics don't lie. To me I can't see Blissett getting 10 plus, maybe over 3 seasons. The miss in the friendly v Cardiff was enough for me. All he had to do was move his neck muscles at the right time, Wylde's cross was inch perfect. 1-1? No!! .he let it drift off his forehead like it was a leaping salmon hitting him. That immediately registered with me as a very concerning moment! . And Joel Grant produced one of the most laughable misses v MK Don's I have ever seen by an Argyle forward. I only played for my school but would have scored that 20 out of 20 times. All he had to do was pass it in the corner, the keeper had given it up he was so close in with it under control, then he launches it way over the bar in to the Devonport. An astonishing miss!! I hear Ness and Lamieras snatched at chances today too. No composure when in on goal. Either that or they are taking too long setting themselves or trying to get the ball on their favoured foot and losing the opportunity to charge-downs. Goal scoring is instinctive. In a split second you have to be a lot of things,: composed in mind so you are able to weigh the entire situation up... ..be watchful the keeper/defence isn't reading your intentions .. ensure you execute the finish smoothly with good balance to allow the proper connection and delivery.. . probably more... Ask Tommy Tynan. And really speaking you either possess that quality or you don't. It really is daunting that since the second game v Charlton, no midfielder or striker has scored apart from a Carey pen. That is scary!! A lot of minutes of football!