Grandstand Update | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand Update

Do you like the stage 1 plans for the grandstand?

• Yes

Votes: 206 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 9.4%

• Total voters

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Greenrod":y2tpyjmi said:
The more this thread goes on, the more I think that the limited money will be spent on the conference facilities and corporate boxes and not on seating/comfort for the real fans.
The here today, gone tomorrow prawn sandwich brigade will be the winners.

No, the winner will be the club with increased revenues. Fans with better facilities, and players likewise.

At present we have a dilapidated, half derelict grandstand with splintered seats and drug den toilets.

At the bare minimum, you're getting new seating everywhere, new toilets, at least one supporter bar, new shop and a Home Park that looks 100x better.

Some people will never be happy.

May 8, 2011
Greenrod":3axallhl said:
The more this thread goes on, the more I think that the limited money will be spent on the conference facilities and corporate boxes and not on seating/comfort for the real fans.

In the article it mentions new seats and that the interior will look totally different, so the outdated facilities in the grandstand will be upgraded.

Whilst having a whinge about the prawn sandwich brigade you seem to forget that the main purpose of the grandstand refurb is to provide large scale hospitality and conferencing banqueting facilities to raise the amount of non match day income, which will then be spent on the team so benefitting the 'real' fans.

Jul 29, 2010
Greenrod":2yyjfy5l said:
...as opposed to the supremely reliable, always flocking in their tens of thousands, not the least bit fickle diehard 'normal' fans that have packed Home Park to the rafters week in week out since we moved in :roll:

Here today, gone tomorrow is a phrase applicable to ALL Argyle's support demographics.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Biggs":1aoqaeh2 said:
Greenrod":1aoqaeh2 said:

No, the winner will be the club with increased revenues. Fans with better facilities, and players likewise.

At present we have a dilapidated, half derelict grandstand with splintered seats and drug den toilets.

At the bare minimum, you're getting new seating everywhere, new toilets, at least one supporter bar, new shop and a Home Park that looks 100x better.

We will see - sounds like, from various posts, we will be getting a half covered grandstand and still derelict corners.

May 16, 2016
Greenrod":34hvwwe4 said:
Biggs":34hvwwe4 said:
Greenrod":34hvwwe4 said:

We will see - sounds like, from various posts, we will be getting a half covered grandstand and still derelict corners.

Probably, but it will be one that contributes to the pay packet of the Graham Careys of this world more than the current rust bucket can.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Will the parking to the rear of the grandstand be lost for next season? I pay a fairly large amount to park there due to my mothers disability and need to retain the parking if possible. The P & R is a step to far and uphill to the main stand :(

Aug 15, 2008
Per capita we must be the worst supported of major cities. Plymouth has around 285000 residents. We get loads of Cornish people to our games too. Its been done to death but I still dont get why we dont get more plymouth residents through the gates.
Bleddy Argo is what i get told when i ask people in my family or work....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He'll be on in a minute, but two words 'Janne Apathy' - As you say though, it's been done to death.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
We currently have:

A run down wooden seated grandstand
Ancient conference facilities unable to generate significant income
A closed and crumbling terrace

For zero cost to the club we will have:

A refurbished grandstand fit for the 21st century
21st century conference and hospitality facilities generating non matchday income and no doubt additional matchday corporate cash
A new seating enclosure in place of the closed terrace.

We might have:

Corners filled in?
The potential for corners and expansion when required?
A new bar for supporters on matchday?

All for nowt. It's going to be a massive improvement for no cost to the club so there really can't be anything to complain about here. The prawn sandwich comments are misguided in the extreme. They are important to the cash flow of the club and the conference facilities for non matchday are essential for increased budgets in the future.

It's not at the expense of the supporters' facilities. You won't be forced to sit somewhere you don't want to.

I was a huge critic of the last plans because I felt that it boxed us in forever. Nothing that is on the table here does that and can only be seen as progress by anyone taking the time to think about it for more than 30 seconds.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
jimbo_the_green":158wxbcy said:
We currently have:

21st century conference and hospitality facilities generating non matchday income and no doubt additional matchday corporate cash

We might have:

Corners filled in?

All for nowt. It's going to be a massive improvement for no cost to the club so there really can't be anything to complain about here. The prawn sandwich comments are misguided in the extreme. They are important to the cash flow of the club and the conference facilities for non matchday are essential for increased budgets in the future.

It's not at the expense of the supporters' facilities. You won't be forced to sit somewhere you don't want to.

I was a huge critic of the last plans because I felt that it boxed us in forever. Nothing that is on the table here does that and can only be seen as progress by anyone taking the time to think about it for more than 30 seconds.
If it's going to be 21st century, I hope the roof is extended to cover the Mayflower seating, nothing worse than sitting in the rain, would rather stand.

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
Mork":3ipsaqgb said:
jimbo_the_green":3ipsaqgb said:
We currently have:

We might have:

Corners filled in?

If it's going to be 21st century, I hope the roof is extended to cover the Mayflower seating, nothing worse than sitting in the rain, would rather stand.

And if they do extend the roof there will be nothing else, as all the budget will be spent on ensuring Mork stays dry.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
Mork":1mlj40ht said:
jimbo_the_green":1mlj40ht said:
We currently have:

We might have:

Corners filled in?

I doubt the budget will allow. You can't stand there now so you've not lost anything. It's still an improvement

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The roof won't be extended, but they said they're making the lower tier steeper, so it could well be covered. Incredibly crude example below.

The lower terrace currently....

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017

I doubt the budget will allow. You can't stand there now so you've not lost anything. It's still an improvement

A roof over (and a long way above) the Mayflower would only work if the rain had the common decently to only fall vertically - which it rarely does!