Great Players | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Great Players

Apr 29, 2010
Dwight Marshall, Paul Dalton, Steve McCall, Steve Castle, Mickey Evans, Paul McGregor, David Friio, Paul Wotton, David Norris, Lee Hodges, Lilian Nalis, Barry Hayles, Akos Buzsaky, Jamie Mackie, Scott Sinclair Then a whole heap of not very much until Graham Carey and Sonny Bradley.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Lancastergreen":uffkt9kh said:
That's goal the cup v Barnet was brilliant

Was there that night and it's still probably the best Argyle goal I've seen, his one against Crystal Palace at HP was also brilliant.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Andy Jock Morrison would have died for Argyle and would love to be involved to this day, him apart the list would be too long to go through.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
There could be different interpretations of great in my view. Entertaining and loyal could also be considered as great.

Of course we have many "great" players down the years, but, again in my view we have only ever had one "great" player ... Paul Mariner.

Other "greats" would include Paul Wotton and Kevin Hodges in the loyalty bracket.

In the entertaining "greats", Norman Piper, Ernie Machin, Peter Halmosi and our latest "great" in this bracket, GC10.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The dictionary says - in terms of ability - "quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average". So if you measure just in Argyle terms then some of those listed by B_Rathbone 1892 would qualify. However, if you look at British pro football since it began then some of the long lists above would diminish sharply. I grew up watching Wilf Carter and believe that he deserves the legendary status he has. Had he done for WBA what he did for us, scoring at nearly a goal a game, then he would have certainly been a great. Same with Tommy Tynan, had he broken through at Liverpool and scored as prolifically for them as he did for us, then he too would have deserved the mantle of greatness. Of all the players I have seen join the HP payroll, I feel that if Steve McCall had stayed injury free at SW then he could have established himself as a great player. Of course, it is a very personal thing. Especially after he moved to midfield I thought Wotton was very ordinary. A loyal servant who always gave 100% but (for me personally) not an Argyle great in the way Sammy Black, Chisholm, Carter, Newman, Mariner, Machin, Tynan, McCall, Kevin Hodges and Nalis were. This is not an argument - just a considered opinion.

Mar 18, 2014
we don't mention the guys from the 20's and 30's enough

Jack Leslie, Fred Craig, Jack Vidler, David Jack, Reg Bowden, Jack Hill who went on to captain England, far superior than most post-war players and what they achieved

Jan 27, 2012
Paul Dalton, Steve Castle, Steve McCall, Scott Sinclair and of course Tommy Tynan.

Defensively, Morrison, Marker, Smith

My favourite of the above is probably Paul Dalton who was very gifted.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
philmeboots":1xanr0iz said:
The comment inferred that great players wouldn't play for Argyle. Over the last 50 years. I reckon quite a number of great players have played for Argyle. Therefore the interpretation is up to the individual I suppose.

It was Pedro Phil, he's not known for his clever posts.

May 31, 2016
My favourite...Graham Coughlin.

Rock steady defender, no messing and scored plenty of goals from corners (top goal scorer one season ?).