Great Players | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Great Players

Jan 27, 2012
Amongst the more obscure and under-rated players, I'd name Gary Poole as a very classy full-back and Andy Thomas as an extremely talented goal-scoring midfielder. David Smith (the winger) was also decent.

All of these players had their careers cut short by injury I think

May 22, 2006
Gary Poole, that stirs up some memories.

Is he the one who scored a brilliant wind-assisted cross-cum-shot against Bradford?

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Vampires11":2s0mns8a said:
we don't mention the guys from the 20's and 30's enough

Jack Leslie, Fred Craig, Jack Vidler, David Jack, Reg Bowden, Jack Hill who went on to captain England, far superior than most post-war players and what they achieved

A good selection. Add Paul Mariner, Ernie Machin, Barry Jones, Wilf Carter, Tommy Tynan and you have a top end selection. All these players are well above most others but as usual with these post it is all dependant on the age of the supporter. An awful lot that get mentioned would never play at a level above the lower leagues.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
mercedes":1pitwuee said:
Oh, and Johnny Williams..................
A good shout indeed - identified as the outstanding player on view by both Bill Shankly (at Anfield in December 1961) and by Matt Busby at Easter Road, Edinburgh (playing for the Army v Hibs in 1958. And in 1958 he was being tracked by Stan Cullis the Wolves manager at a time when Wolves were one of the top clubs in the land. Argyle turned down Cullis's £40k offer for him.

Oct 3, 2005
'Lanson'
Steve 'The Hangman' Cooper (RIP), not a 'great' in the true sense of the word, but terrific player for Argyle, so exciting to watch and added that little bit of spice to the game.

Apr 29, 2016
Vampires11":26vvuf7u said:
we don't mention the guys from the 20's and 30's enough

Jack Leslie, Fred Craig, Jack Vidler, David Jack, Reg Bowden, Jack Hill who went on to captain England, far superior than most post-war players and what they achieved

Did you mean Ray Bowden or is there a Reg too? I knew Rssy quite well and he had a sports shop in Plymouth.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
gaspargomez":3femc1es said:
Amongst the more obscure and under-rated players, I'd name Gary Poole as a very classy full-back and Andy Thomas as an extremely talented goal-scoring midfielder. David Smith (the winger) was also decent.

All of these players had their careers cut short by injury I think

Literally just beat me to it, I had realised that I had omitted Andy Thomas from my original post, the guy oozed class, just a shame we didn't get to see more of him in an Argyle shirt.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Many Everton fans still see Mike Trebilcock as one of their greatest. But one of our best exports in terms of going on to achieve true greatness was the late Alex Govan, who will forever be revered at Birmingham City.

Jul 3, 2013
Alan Nicholls
Steve Castle
Steve McCall
Paul Dalton
Jason Dodd
Elliott Ward
Marc Edworthy

Plus most of that Holloway squad that was ripped apart.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
In my opinion some seem to be somewhat watering down this term "great". Some of the players mentioned could not be considered "great". Some could be considered as legend status (e.g. Johny Williams), some could be considered as potentially great (e.g. Alan Nicholls).
However, great ? I can't think it's true.
As for Trebilcock ? He will always be remembered as s one game wonder. Legend status for Everton fans as he won the cup for them on that day. Great ? I don't think he would get in Everton's fans top 200. Nor ours actually.

Jul 17, 2017
Nicky Marker, Kevin Hodges, Mark Smith, Sir Tommy Tynan, Jock Morrison, Mark Stuart, Andy Thomas , Steve Castle , Paul Dalton , Steve McCall, Kenny Brown , Leigh Cooper, Alan Nicholls, Dwight Marshall all great Argyle players in my eyes

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I'm surprised that Peter Anderson has not been mentioned. A very fine winger, and local legend, who deserves the 'great' accolade more than many of those who have been mentioned.