Herald Article (fan refused coach seat) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Herald Article (fan refused coach seat)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
"Hoping she could buy a ticket straight from the coach driver on the day to get to Plymouth for the Paul Sturrock title winners me$al, she claims she turned up only to be told this would not be possible due to insurance reasons."

What are the 'insurance reasons' for such a ticket? Do customers automatically get covered if they book in advance?

Horsley Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 21, 2003
West Horsley
Why couldn’t the driver allow the person to travel on the coach and ask her to pay later when it was convenient? It was obviously a very unusual set of circumstances and a bit of common sense would have solved the problem.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
FFS.

What would have been the easiest was for someone/anyone that she would know in Plymouth to pay the coach fare by cash at Home Park with the outlook to only using the return leg.

Now how hard would that have been? Job done.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Chobham Green":35yt3ekj said:
Why couldn’t the driver allow the person to travel on the coach and ask her to pay later when it was convenient? It was obviously a very unusual set of circumstances and a bit of common sense would have solved the problem.

You cannot allow a passenger to travel without paying as it would invalidate insurance. Why the heck do you think people have to have a separate licence to drive a PSV than a car?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Emu":2v8y4qlc said:
"Hoping she could buy a ticket straight from the coach driver on the day to get to Plymouth for the Paul Sturrock title winners me$al, she claims she turned up only to be told this would not be possible due to insurance reasons."

What are the 'insurance reasons' for such a ticket? Do customers automatically get covered if they book in advance?

You betcha! The driver would know in advance how many passengers they were transporting.

Funny how her friends on the coach were all willing to tell her how many seats were free and yet not one of them offered to pay the fare to be reimbursed when she got to Bradford.

Oct 24, 2010
Ade the green":19eleono said:
moles40":19eleono said:
Feel very sorry for you Jo

What an absolutely shambles.

A registered blind person not allowed to get on a coach with 10-15 spare seats,total disgrace .

Do people not have any common sense anymore.

Maybe someone can explain from the club why they refused her to get on the coach,meaning she would have so much hassle to get home!!

Have you not been paying attention?

1) it’s not the club per se, it is the travel club. Argyle only take the payment for coach travel as a curtesy which is why it’s not set up to accept credit card payments for coaches.

2) The coach driver was asked to accept a cash payment which would in turn invalidate insurance for everyone on the coach in case of an accident.
It's no fault of the driver's but that doesn't alter the fact that it is pathetic. It's the regulated times we live in.

It's disappointing the commercial department failed to return the lady's calls.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
esmer":3264rfu4 said:
Ade the green":3264rfu4 said:
moles40":3264rfu4 said:
Feel very sorry for you Jo

What an absolutely shambles.

A registered blind person not allowed to get on a coach with 10-15 spare seats,total disgrace .

Do people not have any common sense anymore.

Maybe someone can explain from the club why they refused her to get on the coach,meaning she would have so much hassle to get home!!

Have you not been paying attention?

1) it’s not the club per se, it is the travel club. Argyle only take the payment for coach travel as a curtesy which is why it’s not set up to accept credit card payments for coaches.

2) The coach driver was asked to accept a cash payment which would in turn invalidate insurance for everyone on the coach in case of an accident.
It's no fault of the driver's but that doesn't alter the fact that it is pathetic. It's the regulated times we live in.

It's disappointing the commercial department failed to return the lady's calls.

That is the most disappointing thing in the whole sorry saga.

Apr 5, 2008
So why cant driver phone up and say another person wants to get on coach as their are empty seats,so that they can get insured.

Never would have happened twenty years ago,person would have paid, and let on coach.Especially a blind person.but now everything is just so over regulated.

Country is a big joke now.

Stupid rules for everything.Not like this in other countries

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
A very unfortunate saga. A ridiculously over the top (as usual) article from the Herald. Hopefully lessons will be learnt from this and it's going to be a one off occasion. Thankfully, apart from being in a distressed state, and a bit lost in the early hours, Jo is alright.

I don't think for one second though that Jo is blameless in this situation. She said she left a message for Nikki to get back to her, but she didn't. You shouldn't have just assumed then Jo that it was all sorted and you could just turn up on the day with cash. I feel sorry for the travel club guys and the driver as well because they were put in a very awkward position.
It's all very well for people on here to say "just let her on," but think of the legal implications if the coach was involved in a crash.
I know it's crap, but unfortunately it's the world we live in.
That being said, there was a partially sighted female and a very distressed parent in all this. Having kids myself I can totally understand this.
I don't know whether it was Jo's Dad or Stepdad who contacted the Herald, but Jo's Dad is also blind. So he must have been in a bit of a state.
Glad you're ok Jo. Hope you had a good night Sunday.

Aug 8, 2017
I had intended to say no more on this matter but seems as though the thread is still going I wanted to clear a couple more things up. The thing I have found most distressing about this whole situation is that people are now talking about me and a story I didn't even want written. Anyone who knows me will know that I find confrontational situations difficult to deal with and this is totally out of my comfort zone.

I don't know where the misconception that I had wanted to buy a ticket from the coach driver has come from. That is a misunderstanding on the part of the reporter as far as I can tell. It was always my intention to speak to Mark from the travel club, not the driver. As for the excuse about it being for insurance purposes, I was told was by Martyn Starnes on Sunday evening that's not true. There is no issue with somebody paying on the day for insurance reasons.

Also, if you read my original post you will see I have said "I hoped" not "I assumed". There is a difference. Had I assumed that I could rock up on Saturday and pay for a coach ticket and expect there to be no problems, I wouldn't have pre-booked train and bus tickets. Yes, maybe I had expected that Mark would have been more helpful taking in to account our friendship spans more than 20 years and had the shoe been on the other foot I would like to think I would have done all I could to help out a friend in such circumstances but once it became apparent that the coach back wasn't an option, I accepted that I was to endure a nightmare journey and Mark and I parted on good terms as we always do. There was and still is no issues between us.

This has been totally blown out of all proportion. In hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, It was very reckless of me to travel, whether it had been by coach, train, accompanied or unaccompanied, so soon after having emergency surgery. I let me heart rule my head and I am paying for it now. A lesson has been learnt and I won't be making the same mistake again when I undergo more major surgery in the coming weeks.

This unnecessary fuss has been created by my dad (although I am led to believe he wasn't the only person to contact the Herald), a man who is accustomed to being in positions of authority and things being done on his terms, overreacting out of concern for his daughter. Unlike me, he had made the assumption that I would just turn up on Saturday and be allowed on the coach and he was angry that his expectations were not met. From my point of view the club are dealing with what went wrong at their end, the travel club had no obligation to accommodate me on the day and I am satisfied with the outcome.

So to conclude, I agree with the post by Ghost I am not blameless. Is it my fault calls were not returned? no, is it my fault common sense wasn't used when there were spare seats and apparently no obvious reason why cash couldn't be accepted on the day? no. Is it my fault this has been become an unnecessary shambles? Yes, absolutely. Had I made a more sensible decision and stayed home and rested, my family wouldn't have been put in a position where out of concern for my safety and wellbeing they felt the need to make an issue out of something that to me wasn't a big deal. For that i do take the blame.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Delden7Jo":3g4g762a said:
I had intended to say no more on this matter but seems as though the thread is still going I wanted to clear a couple more things up. The thing I have found most distressing about this whole situation is that people are now talking about me and a story I didn't even want written. Anyone who knows me will know that I find confrontational situations difficult to deal with and this is totally out of my comfort zone.

I don't know where the misconception that I had wanted to buy a ticket from the coach driver has come from. That is a misunderstanding on the part of the reporter as far as I can tell. It was always my intention to speak to Mark from the travel club, not the driver. As for the excuse about it being for insurance purposes, I was told was by Martyn Starnes on Sunday evening that's not true. There is no issue with somebody paying on the day for insurance reasons.

Also, if you read my original post you will see I have said "I hoped" not "I assumed". There is a difference. Had I assumed that I could rock up on Saturday and pay for a coach ticket and expect there to be no problems, I wouldn't have pre-booked train and bus tickets. Yes, maybe I had expected that Mark would have been more helpful taking in to account our friendship spans more than 20 years and had the shoe been on the other foot I would like to think I would have done all I could to help out a friend in such circumstances but once it became apparent that the coach back wasn't an option, I accepted that I was to endure a nightmare journey and Mark and I parted on good terms as we always do. There was and still is no issues between us.

This has been totally blown out of all proportion. In hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, It was very reckless of me to travel, whether it had been by coach, train, accompanied or unaccompanied, so soon after having emergency surgery. I let me heart rule my head and I am paying for it now. A lesson has been learnt and I won't be making the same mistake again when I undergo more major surgery in the coming weeks.

This unnecessary fuss has been created by my dad (although I am led to believe he wasn't the only person to contact the Herald), a man who is accustomed to being in positions of authority and things being done on his terms, overreacting out of concern for his daughter. Unlike me, he had made the assumption that I would just turn up on Saturday and be allowed on the coach and he was angry that his expectations were not met. From my point of view the club are dealing with what went wrong at their end, the travel club had no obligation to accommodate me on the day and I am satisfied with the outcome.

So to conclude, I agree with the post by Ghost I am not blameless. Is it my fault calls were not returned? no, is it my fault common sense wasn't used when there were spare seats and apparently no obvious reason why cash couldn't be accepted on the day? no. Is it my fault this has been become an unnecessary shambles? Yes, absolutely. Had I made a more sensible decision and stayed home and rested, my family wouldn't have been put in a position where out of concern for my safety and wellbeing they felt the need to make an issue out of something that to me wasn't a big deal. For that i do take the blame.

Jo - From chatting to Mark at the game last night I understand you spoke to him at Bradford before the game but you made no mention of wishing to travel back to Plymouth on the Travel Club coaches?

If so that puts a totally different slant on the whole situation.

We have a committee meeting later in the week so I will not comment further at this point.

Aug 8, 2017
David Fisher - I will contact Mark direct to discuss this matter but there is an exchange of messages between Mark and Step-mum that would back up my what I am saying. Why is he only denying it now when he an opportunity to defend himself on Saturday evening? Not prepared to get in to a debate with you about it but I would suggest you put that question to Mark at the committee meeting.

Apr 5, 2008
If they said insurance was not the problem,then why couldn't they let you on ??

Then you say you had pre-booked train and bus tickets anyway.

So why would you want to also pay a coach fare ,if you had already paid train and bus tickets?

Maybe it's me but the whole thing just seems too confusing to understand now :facepalm: