Home Park Ownership | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Ownership

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The Grumpy Loyal":1bgnwszh said:
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/rhys-wilmot-back-at-argyle-as-their-part-time-goalkeeping-coach/story-29543989-detail/story.html

Pretty clear that Adams isn't overly happy about only apparently being able to afford a keeper coach to come in two days a week.

"He will get the goalkeepers working very hard to be in tip-top condition." Doesn't sound unhappy to me!

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Sure.

told Herald Sport: "I personally think it is in the interests of Plymouth Argyle Football Club to own its stadium.

"I think that statement is justified on a number of accounts, part of which is financial.

"If we are not paying the rent – which goes up in October if we don't buy the stadium – we can spend that on the football budget.

"It drives other things in terms of your behaviour to invest.

"We, as a club, are more likely to invest in our own asset than an asset owned by a third party.

"So I think the principle of owning the stadium is a very good one."[\quote]

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
cheshiregreen":7ni0l85y said:
Sure.

told Herald Sport: "I personally think it is in the interests of Plymouth Argyle Football Club to own its stadium.

"I think that statement is justified on a number of accounts, part of which is financial.

"If we are not paying the rent – which goes up in October if we don't buy the stadium – we can spend that on the football budget.

"It drives other things in terms of your behaviour to invest.

"We, as a club, are more likely to invest in our own asset than an asset owned by a third party.

"So I think the principle of owning the stadium is a very good one."[\quote]
thanks.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
It was an interesting read in yesterdays Herald when Chairman James Brent talked of the advantages of purchasing Home Park from October this year.

Although he did not commit to the purchase the “mood music” gives the impression he will. In fact he set out very clearly his reasons for believing this to be the correct course of action. If indeed he proceeded to purchase he could reunite Home Park with its historic neighbour, HHP which he already owns. And at a figure of approximately £1.6 million he would in effect have had an interest free loan from the Council for the past 5 years. That is, if he buys Home Park.

Which begs the question, Who will be the buyer or probably, more accurately, the end buyer. Will he purchase himself? or, will PAFC buy it? or will a new company be formed, specifically to buy and reunite with HHP or will that be kept as an Akkeron asset for a rainy day? I was particularly interested in the following words "There are two decisions that need to be taken. The first is whether the board of Plymouth Argyle Football Club think it is a good or a bad thing for the club to own its own stadium.” He went on “"There is a second question as to whether the investors want to support Plymouth Argyle Football Club to buy back the stadium."
Those investors are Brent and three of the other club directors – Simon Hallett, Tony Wrathall and Richard Holliday.”

So it seems we have 2 tiers of Directors, those who invest and those who do not. Older readers will remember that one of those against buying the ground first time around is back as a Director, but a non investing one. I wonder how he felt reading this article?

And finally, I was really taken by this bit "If we are not paying the rent – which goes up in October if we don't buy the stadium – we can spend that on the football budget.”

I bet Derek Adams cant wait.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
The timing of Simon Hallett coming on board only adds fuel that Home Park will be in private hands soon and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

When it goes ahead it will be interesting to see were Peter Jones moral compass lays.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
And now this......

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/still-n ... story.html

I am reminded that a a by pass was first agreed in 1945 to relieve the amount of traffic on our village. We still don't have one and basic maintenance has been reduced to "perhaps next year". And so I read this statement from James Brent and in particular ""When you go beyond that you are looking at potentially redundant expenditure." in a similar light. The grandstand has not changed in the 50 years I have supported Argyle, even the toilets remain unchanged. Similarly, the attitude in the Boardroom has a similar waft.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
What are the pros and cons come October when Brent has the option to buy the club, will he won't he, i personally think it is nailed on that he will buy the club he already has HHP and the two must go together to have any real value, Brent holds all the aces, Hallett coming on board when he did only confirms my thoughts.

Do we want the club to go lock stock and barrel back into private hands after the last debacle when the club nearly folded can we trust Brent to do the right thing.

What is best for the football club that is the question.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
He already owns the majority of the club. If he is buying the stadium for it to become a part of the club again, then surely that is good for the club. It only becomes a problem should the club and the stadium become separated again and one or the other get into the hands of someone who doesn't have that club's best interests in mind.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I think it's a given he will buy it. Will it be the football club or another company that is the owner of the freehold though?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
JB is a shrewd businessman who is not likely to take a catastrophic gamble in the way that our 'administration' Board did.

I feel that the addition of Simon Hallett, also very experienced in business finance, strengthens our Board and, if they decide that it is in the interests of PAFC to buy the ground, I would be confident with their decision.

I certainly do not believe that there would be any ulterior motive in buying the ground.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
dunlop":1hrhc7p9 said:
What are the pros and cons come October when Brent has the option to buy the club, will he won't he, i personally think it is nailed on that he will buy the club he already has HHP and the two must go together to have any real value, Brent holds all the aces, Hallett coming on board when he did only confirms my thoughts.

Do we want the club to go lock stock and barrel back into private hands after the last debacle when the club nearly folded can we trust Brent to do the right thing.

What is best for the football club that is the question.

Evening Mike, hope all is well with you.

I think it worth reiterating that James Brent has a perfectly legal right to buy Home Park in October and he is likely to exercise that right.

Why? Well after 5 years he will only pay what PCC paid for it 5 years ago and in the world of finance, thats a bargain. Further, as he already own HHP which has planning permission, joining the 2 adjacent properties makes good economic sense, for him. But like HHP, who will actually own HP is probably the more pertinent question. If he slots it into a company he already controls then alarm bells should start ringing. if he decides to give/sell HHP to the club then perhaps we should view it differently, whilst still maintaining a level of caution.

If HP follows HHP into a private JB company then prepare for rent increases for the club to pay.

Hallett coming on board is clearly more to do with a potential killing than altruism, in my opinion.

To "dave nine" I would say "where is your evidence that JB is shrewd?" I am even more worried by and I quote "if they decide that it is in the interests of PAFC to buy the ground, I would be confident with their decision.

I certainly do not believe that there would be any ulterior motive in buying the ground."

Jeepers whats the name of your happy pills?

:)

COYGs