How do you rate Kelvin Mellor? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How do you rate Kelvin Mellor?

Apr 15, 2008
London
philevs":245d6tbz said:
crownhillpilgrim":245d6tbz said:
Decent player at this level.

Would be interested to know what are his qualities that make you think him a decent player?

Decent enough in defence, good going forward. Is that good enough for you? Occasional lapse and confidence issues, but has been part of a good defensive set-up so far this season. After all, we have the second best defence in the league so far this season.

philevs":1m0jzuu3 said:
crownhillpilgrim":1m0jzuu3 said:
Decent player at this level.

Would be interested to know what are his qualities that make you think him a decent player?

When confident and on his game he can be one of our most attacking threats. He is also solid defensively and a core member of one of the strongest defences in the league. If he didn't make the mistakes he does, he would certainly be playing at a higher level. When we win, the plaudits often go to the goal scorers or creative midfielders, but whenever I have watched Argyle outplay teams over the past couple of seasons Mellor has always played an integral role. See highlights from Portsmouth last season; played a part in all three goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJC7PzUkZo

Oct 14, 2015
If Nelson had committed that unnecessary tackle on Saturday against Exeter would you be on his back like this??? I think not....if he's having a bit of a bad time at the moment, a dip in form which all players go through, he needs a bit of support not people on his back!!

Can't believe the grief he's getting on here...

Most likely from those who seldom go to games...

Always seem to be looking for scapegoats if things are going wrong

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
The reason he is an automatic pick, is because we don't have another right back.

For me he is solid, but he's better going forward than he is defensively. His tackle against Exeter was purely poor decision making.

He is one of those who never seems to just have a solid 6/10 performance. He's either a standout performer, or a standout poor performer. Although I would say it swings more in a positive favour than a negative one.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Agree with the generally positive remarks about him - I like him a lot.
In a sense his failing is his positivity: he will often try and beat a player in a position where caution is warranted but when it comes off he can spark really good counter attacks.
But he is a good tackler, his positioning is better than at first and, although his rash challenge the other day cost us, he is a good member of the side.
He could do with more support - as others have said, he doesn't seem to brim with confidence. But playing in front of the Lyndhurst can be difficult I would think.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
He's not a right back. Sheridan dropped him when he had other options. He's very inconsistent. Played ok on Saturday apart from one moment. Last night he was woeful. He needs a challenger for his place.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Mark Pedlar":dxupjszb said:
He's not a right back. Sheridan dropped him when he had other options. He's very inconsistent. Played ok on Saturday apart from one moment. Last night he was woeful. He needs a challenger for his place.

I think he is a right back, but only on the basis that I cannot see what other position he would play.

Apr 16, 2015
I feel like there's no real middle point for Mellor, he either plays very well or he plays dreadfully and looks like a Sunday league player. I also feel like he doesn't get half as much credit as he's due when he does play well.

Jun 8, 2014
Mark Pedlar":2rhehsmi said:

I am sort of agreeing - if we go up we'd need to replace him/improve on him I think. He's alright for this level and hes he's a confidence player, but over the last few games he's been getting in the side due to lack of competition more so than anything else.

Both him and Sawyer major culprits in the last few games for playing especially poorly IMO.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I do hate these threads that pick one player out of a team of players that have lost form as a scapegoat. There's no need to highlight one of a dozen players and I'm so glad this hasn't turned into a witch hunt against Mellor. Not long ago it was Hartley and before that McHugh and now when both are out injured they both have champions stating the good they do. The sooner we get back to our genuine first 11 again the better.

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
I think the majority of people who have answered the question, shows what a valued member Mellor is in our team.
I suspect the question was asked, expecting a totally different response from those who have replied, with unbiased opinions.
Why Mellor gets so much stick from the biased few on here, is disgraceful in my opinion.
Why do people slag off a player, that Derek Adams obviously thinks is good enough to be a regular pick this season.

C

Cobi Budge.

Tragic over the last two games.

On the whole he's an average player for this level. Will need to be replaced if we go up.

Out of our first choice starting 11 he's probably the weakest, I'd be surprised if anyone denies that.