How do you rate Kelvin Mellor? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How do you rate Kelvin Mellor?

C

Cobi Budge.

Which bit do you disagree with?

Also, what's wrong with criticising players when they play poorly?

When a player does well, I'll give praise, when they play poorly, I'll criticise.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Longfellow wrote the following (about a little girl) but it applies to Kelvin:-

When she was good
She was very, very good,
And when she was bad she was horrid.

Apart from the penalty on Saturday, Kelvins` lapses rarely cost us the game, but on song he can be a match winner.
Leave the lad alone to build his confidence back up.

May 21, 2010
taunton
Ive always thought Kelvin is a hard working team player, I would never knock him. Does he get things right every time, no, but id have in the team every week.

Aug 22, 2006
Cobi Budge.":1cb4hy2b said:
Tragic over the last two games.

On the whole he's an average player for this level. Will need to be replaced if we go up.

Out of our first choice starting 11 he's probably the weakest, I'd be surprised if anyone denies that.

Yeah I did see your ratings at h/t exeter and he stuck out. I thought that may be your initial reaction was due to anger and on reflection would change. To be fair you are sticking with your after thoughts. Is he really that bad? When I've seen him he has always worked hard, some of his attacking play doesn't work out but rarely he is to blame more than sawyer. Then again I've only seen us on 4 occasions. I actually think our weakness is when mchugh and boateng don't play. Central midfield basically. Mellor on occasions has been excellent, so I wonder why he struggles? Why do you think?

Jun 8, 2014
Just very much a confidence player I think, Mazza.

Him and Sawyer (without wishing to offend anybody on here for 'slagging off players' :roll: ) are to me some way behind the rest of the sqaud in terms of their performance levels. Mellor is dramatically inconsistent and Sawyer is staggeringly average.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
He is a confidence player, no doubt. But who really isn't? U find some of his positioning a bit off at time and the decisions he makes is a bit dodgy sometimes. I think he does ok at this level, but if we go up, we will certainly need to strengthen this position

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Ade the green":2al3o7i8 said:
Guess we need a scapegoat for when we lose or draw.

Ain't that the truth Ade!

Mar 14, 2009
I think he has improved defensively from last season.

The problem is his decision making and his gangly style. They don't suit each other.

The way we play with 4-2-3-1 we really need much better full backs. Certainly more pace than Sawyer offers. Mellor isn't slow but it does get himself in a right old pickle from time to time. I don't think either are suited to the formation as they don't have the energy needed to get up and down. What you need at full back currently is two players with David Norris type energy. Suddenly then you have more of an attacking presence but the ability to not leave the CB's exposed.

TBH we could of started this type of thread about Sawyer because although he is dependable he is very average too.

Jul 3, 2013
When you have a limited player at left back then you need someone who can offer something going forward which Mellor does. Let's also not forget that he is one of our players, he is only 24 and offers a bit of height to a defence that is not blessed on height. He certainly has more to offer than we have seen for a while now as performances in the first few months of last season proved, if only he could find that form again come the second half of the season.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
I feel he seems to go through spells of good and bad over the season.. A good attack minded full back for long spells of a game but often guilty of giving his opposing player far too much room. I did say, before the penalty incident last Saturday, that this was happening far too often in the game already and I could see a goal coming from it. Sadly this proved to be the case.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Stiffler":2ajp3a6q said:
When you have a limited player at left back then you need someone who can offer something going forward which Mellor does. Let's also not forget that he is one of our players, he is only 24 and offers a bit of height to a defence that is not blessed on height. He certainly has more to offer than we have seen for a while now as performances in the first few months of last season proved, if only he could find that form again come the second half of the season.

The only way he'll get that form back is a massive change of formation and tactical thinking. Sawyer is light years ahead in terms of defending, tactical nouse and position and that's from a player who has a lot of issues himself. There is no point in "offering going forward" if he costs us a goal every other game.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Amazing how we slag off our defence which is the 2nd best in the league!!
Everyone is saying that we will need to replace if we go up. Well I wouldn't be so sure. The difference between us and a mid table league 1 side is very little. I say that from my mate watching Saffend every week. They have hardly changed at all from last season and are managing just fine upstairs.
Also it's worth bearing in mind that this season we have been much more spirited going forward and taking more risks in doing so which leaves the defense more exposed. Yet we are still top of the league and have the 2nd best defence.
Glass half empty springs to mind.

R

robinsonm87

Inconsistent player when he plays well . He is a decent forward thinking full back.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Personally I like him and don't understand some of the criticism he gets. Even during the Exeter game, yes the penalty was a stupid challenge but his work rate after that goal was something else. He was desperate to make amends to the point where he was on the end of crosses trying to grab a goal back, it was fantastic to see IMO.

I have always thought that his whole way of playing looks odd, he's gangly and seems to go into tackles all wrong but somehow it all seems to work for him, not forgetting the fact that when he is on top form he is unplayable going forward, somehow his gangly legs manage to wiggle their way past the opposing full backs and put him in fantastic positions in the opposition penalty area, I never quite know how he does it but he seems to just end up passing a player.

I liken him to a scenario where Bambi is given a football and he just runs with it and somehow from somewhere little Bambi can actually play. At first you think "hey this is a fluke, this dear can't be playing football, not like this", then he just carries on doing what he's doing and still it keeps working for him; I joke but he is a good player, a better wing back than full back maybe but a good player all the same.