If I could bottle this season what would I remember? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

If I could bottle this season what would I remember?

Apr 1, 2008
Saltash
Signs of recovery for our great football club, the hope of play-off's and potential promotion, a 20 goal a season striker, further development of our young captain (Player of the Season for me - what an asset he is hopefully going to be for us in the future). Realisation that we can't rely too much on loan players and that Jason Banton might not be our saviour after all (one of the biggest disappointments for me - many of us were delighted by his signing and expected big things from him, his arrival sparked a downturn in our fortunes though)

Desperate disappointment as we lost some of the key games, losing to the village up the road - still having nightmares about that!

I do find Shezza's honesty comforting, he clearly has high standards and he's not afraid to admit when he and and his team fail to meet them. If he is able to sign the right players this summer then......

But overall, feeling that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that good progress is being made.

Listened to some Queen yesterday and it brought back memories of better days, I have no doubt that we will be the champions again and that it won't be too far in the future...

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through

And we mean to go on and on and on and on

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
We are the champions

Semper Fidelis!

T

Tyhee_Slim

The nearest I've come yet to getting through a whole season without going to a match. Just the one for me - Mansfield away, 'cos it's about five miles from my house.

Somehow we scraped a 1-0 win with an injury time winner we didn't deserve in one of the most awful games of football I've ever seen - and I've seen some rubbish down the years. I've found other things to do with my time and money now and, to be honest, I really wonder how I used to afford it (though, in fairness, I've packed up work now so don't have as much to spare).

I think this season was the final part of a gradual winding down for me that goes back to the days in the Championship. Loads of things really, mainly the great clearout sale, but also little things like a game against Norwich when eleven of the twenty players on the pitch at the start of the game were loanees, the gradual replacement of various important players with ones who clearly weren't up to the mark (Duguid for example). The Arsenal cup game with those stupid 'half and half scarves'. Sitting in various away ends surrounded by numpties who either talk in sub-Alan Hansen pundit-speak, think it's hilarious to 'celebrate' phantom goals and sing 'shoes off if you love the greens' (which happened at Bury on Friday by the sounds of it), or are your typical Janners stuck somewhere in the seventies and who think racism is still acceptable. The realisation that the owners of the club - all of them - have no ambition for the club and little or no respect for the supporters. Watching Argyle play in unneccesary away kits - I know there are financial reasons, but all the same.

I think the rot really set in when I came out of Doncaster's ground after a 1-0 defeat and, on the way home, realised that I really wasn't that bothered. These days I get the score updates via my mobile and this season, more than any other, I just don't get that bothered when Argyle let one in, or lose. In a way I'm glad we ballsed up the chance of getting into the play-offs as it's saved me having to make a decision about going to Wembley, that would have been tough for all sorts of reasons, not least that I don't actually agree with them, the only saving grace with the two occasions we've been in the play-offs we've finished in the place in the table that would have meant automatic promotion before they introduced them. If we'd scraped into seventh place in Div Four by virtue of a scabby little run of wins a couple of months back I'm not sure I'd be that bothered. Actually, the whole Wembley thing is another thing that pees me off. It used to be some magical place that you only played at if you reached a cup final - now there can't be that many clubs in the league that haven't played there for one reason or another, it wouldn't surprise me if the football authorities didn't conjure up some competition for all the clubs who haven't been there yet.

Overall though, it's a sense that football is not the game I grew up with anymore, and that Argyle just doesn't feel like my club anymore. Its not because we're crap - I'm used to that - it's a combination of so many things, some of which I'll admit are just down to being older and resistant to change, but many of which are purely down to it not being enjoyable on so many levels, both as sporting and social occasion.

So, thanks to Argyle for another uninspiring season and for making me care even less. You're saving me a lot of money, time and stress by gradually becoming even more mediocre and anonymous.

Apr 15, 2008
London
You're a barrel of laughs, Slim.

I've enjoyed this season. I can't think of any game that I didn't have a laugh at mainly due to the company (yes, even yesterday) Having said that, I'll be giving myself a day off next Saturday. If the team can't be bothered to show up for the last few games, why should I?

There isn't even the bonus of seeing the player of the season awards, seeing as it's being announced at a £30+ a head do at a hotel. Typical of the chumminess and disregard for the fans from our club's leaders.

T

Tyhee_Slim

crownhillpilgrim":1l9bcb87 said:
You're a barrel of laughs, Slim. *slashes wrists*

I've enjoyed this season. I can't think of any game that I didn't have a laugh at mainly due to the company (yes, even yesterday) Having said that, I'll be giving myself a day off next Saturday. If the team can't be bothered to show up for the last few games, why should I?

There isn't even the bonus of seeing the player of the season awards, seeing as it's being announced at a £30+ a head do at a hotel. Typical of the chumminess and disregard for the fans from our club's leaders.

So, you're saying I'm a miserable git, but it looks like the rot appears to be setting in for you. Your 'day off' next Saturday may be the day when you start thinking that there are better things to do with your time, and you also appear to be starting to think that the club/owners/whatever don't actually give a monkey's. That's how it starts.

I'm not that miserable as it goes. When I can be arsed to go to matches I always enjoy the social side of it, and if I still lived down there I'd more than likely be a season-ticket holder, but being an exile means that almost every game involves quite a lot of travelling and expense. I've got out of the habit and, to be honest, I'm not sorry.

I take a vague interest in the Premier League, a little in football in general, and I'm looking forward to the World Cup (hoping that Italy stuff England of course), but apart from enjoying seeing Man Utd struggle and hoping that England do, Argyle is the only club that means anything to me. The Championship days were what did for me though. The club seemed happy to embrace some of the elements of being 'a bigger club' (like making money out of all of us) yet failed to grasp the concept that this should be a two-way street (like investing in the team, finishing the ground, the centenary game, the 'bricks' outside the Demport etc etc). Three out of four managers left of their own volition within the space of just a few seasons - OK, they all had their reasons and were offered other jobs, but I maintain that they all looked at this club as being one that they'd taken as far as it could go (or perhaps wanted to go). After all that, the club's owners had the audacity to very publicly criticise the support they did have by way of a spiteful, very ill-judged rant on the baggo.

Sorry, but I think they've upset a lot of people over the last few seasons. Fair play to those who've kept the faith and, as I said, if I lived down there I probably would have as well, but the crap football served up over the last few years is, although obviously a factor, probably the final excuse for a lot of people.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I'm just teasing Slim, really. I completely agree with most of what you've written (especially the content with which owners have held fans).... it helps to have very low expectations.

T

Tyhee_Slim

Fair do's mate, although I am a miserable git a lot of the time to be honest :)

I think it may have something to do with getting older, but I'm just sick and tired of all the bollocks I see, hear and read being said about football and sport in general. There's just too much of it to be honest and, like so many things in life, having it 'on tap' 24/7 devalues it in my opinion.

Jan 3, 2013
My memory? Game after game our "manager" leaning against the dugout wall with his hands in his pockets. Surely that body language MUST transfer to the team.....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
If I was an exile I'd find it very difficult to motivate myself, I must admit.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
My abiding memory of this season (and of the general attitude within the club) will be Mr Brent after the Oxford game making his paying public feel much better about the abject, spineless surrender they had just witnessed. As Mr B made his way to the post-match warm glow of the board room a few supporters (of the seasoned type, veterans if you will) were quite vocal in posing the question of why should they renew their season ticket in the light of the abhorrence they'd just witnessed. Mr Brent's response? "Newport was good".

Says it all.