Incoming ....Josh Simpson signs. Official | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Incoming ....Josh Simpson signs. Official

C

Cobi Budge.

Paven":15olflbn said:
Mods - don't know if it would make sense to split the thread at all on this one?

I wasn't at Cambridge so can't judge him on that one but from what I recall, he was ok against Wycombe and Swindon - the latter where Alessandra and Harvey I recall being particularly impressive.

I don't really deny that he's got ability, his shot isn't tok bad but that's about all he's got going forward. You say he 'leaps like a salmon' and yet I don't think I've ever seen him do anything in there because his anticipation is appalling and he's just not that good in the air.

His movement isn't good at right midfield at all because very simply I don't think he has the mentality to play there. He's greedy ad at the same time not very good on the ball, meaning he loses a lot of possession. I haven't seen him too much up front but from what I've seen I would not want him at right midfield at all, even when up front his anticipation is still poor and he can get in the way. Most notably at Mansfield away where, at 1-0 down, he managed to get in the way of Lee Cox's open goal. It was rather spectacular, and not in the way I'd like. That half hour he put in the single worst cameo I think I've ever seen from a professional footballer, it was genuinely that bad.

If Dadams decides he wants him to play a part in the squad then I will, of course, give him a while to try and prove me wrong.. I wont hold out with baited breath though.

Going by when I've seen him, he's just not all that good. If he could improve his decision making or put a little bit of effort or teamwork into the game then maybe, but I can't see it happening to be honest.

You weren't at the Swindon game though? :eh:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=85969&hilit=Smalley+8+Smalley+8%2F10+Swindon&start=13

Jun 8, 2014
Sorry thought I'd written that, going by what several people who's opinions I generally fall in line with have told me.

Impressed you searched that out though, bit tragic..

C

Cobi Budge.

Paven":ce845af3 said:
Sorry thought I'd written that, going by what GreenSam told me.

Ah fair enough.

& Not really, I just recalled you telling me about that FM documentary and I was pretty sure it was the night of the Swindon game.

Jun 8, 2014
Cobi Budge.":35sfdru6 said:
Paven":35sfdru6 said:
Sorry thought I'd written that, going by what GreenSam told me.

Ah fair enough.

& Not really, I just recalled you telling me about that FM documentary and I was pretty sure it was the night of the Swindon game.

If it's any consolation I think you were absolutely spot on about Olly Lee. ;)

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
earl grey":2tx6j491 said:
ArgyleMatty1991":2tx6j491 said:
Looks like a great signing, lots of expierence and still at a good age! Looks like he's going to be a great leader on the pitch. Getting more excited for the season as it draws ever closer.

Welcome Josh! Hope you lead us to great things!

I'm beginning to think Sheridans inexperienced signings smacked of not wanting to be questioned by experienced (used to) hardworking pros. DA seems to favour the experienced signings to compliment existing youth, Ohhhh, i am rather excited

A similar line of thinking led me to wonder whether it was coincidental that Sheridan had two inexperienced players as his captains (Hourihane and Nelson).

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
IJN":1fx2rax4 said:
I think the potential of Brunt is way higher than most on here, and I agree with both Mark and Cobi about Smalley.

I think we have some good arrows in our quiver up front.

When the midfield is sorted, I really do think we could give it a crack this year.

I agree. I think Brunt showed quite a lot of promise and a good goal-poacher's instinct. When he came on in games things did happen around him and he managed to bag a few goals in quite a short time on the pitch. Similarly, I think Smalley showed some signs of quality. He had an ability to pass the ball with his head rather than just knock it somewhere random and he seemed to me to be quite intelligent in what he was trying to do with the ball much of the time.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
You know what, we might…....just might………end up with a team that regularly has more than 50% possession at Home. How weird will that be??

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
The Doctor":25wvf6so said:
earl grey":25wvf6so said:
ArgyleMatty1991":25wvf6so said:
Looks like a great signing, lots of expierence and still at a good age! Looks like he's going to be a great leader on the pitch. Getting more excited for the season as it draws ever closer.

Welcome Josh! Hope you lead us to great things!

I'm beginning to think Sheridans inexperienced signings smacked of not wanting to be questioned by experienced (used to) hardworking pros. DA seems to favour the experienced signings to compliment existing youth, Ohhhh, i am rather excited

A similar line of thinking led me to wonder whether it was coincidental that Sheridan had two inexperienced players as his captains (Hourihane and Nelson).

Coincidental, correct.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ave_IT":375yjc97 said:
You know what, we might…....just might………end up with a team that regularly has more than 50% possession at Home. How weird will that be??

Yep. The strange stat from the 23 home games last season was that just once did we have more possession than the opposition at Home Park and that was against Hartlepool. Even Tranmere had more possession than us.
It highlighted the sit back and contain tactic from Sheridan, Adams looks to be building a team that will regularly attack and have more possession.

What Sheridan did achieve for the first time in seven seasons was win more games at Home Park than the opposition.
We've had it pretty tough at home over the last seven seasons in terms of lack of entertainment and wins. I think that is about to change.

Jul 15, 2011
Interesting....on OS...Simpson says he contacted Brewster about coming to Argyle ....while he was on holiday in Devon!
Promising :)

Love from Hanoi Greens
:)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":2uf388wz said:
Ave_IT":2uf388wz said:

Yep. The strange stat from the 23 home games last season was that just once did we have more possession than the opposition at Home Park and that was against Hartlepool. Even Tranmere had more possession than us.
It highlighted the sit back and contain tactic from Sheridan, Adams looks to be building a team that will regularly attack and have more possession.

What Sheridan did achieve for the first time in seven seasons was win more games at Home Park than the opposition.
We've had it pretty tough at home over the last seven seasons in terms of lack of entertainment and wins. I think that is about to change.

Hopefully. Although it's not quite as simple as more attacking players = more entertainment and wins. The lack of a dominating central midfielder still worries me.

Mar 14, 2009
Biggs":rgfmi8ur said:
PL2 3DQ":rgfmi8ur said:
Ave_IT":rgfmi8ur said:

Hopefully. Although it's not quite as simple as more attacking players = more entertainment and wins. The lack of a dominating central midfielder still worries me.

Me too. Imagine we get an injury to Cox or Simpson. Also 4-3-3 seems out of the question because I cant see another player for the middle of the park, unless Carney moves more central.

I thought there was enough decent talent out there to perhaps sign one or two more but maybe we just don't have a budget capable of pushing out the boat a little further.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I must say I'm massively reassured by that article. I hope we can get organise some of the other players to go on similar deals.