Incoming ....Josh Simpson signs. Official | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Incoming ....Josh Simpson signs. Official

Jul 14, 2005
TBH I'm getting bloody excited about the season ahead. Fed up of all the excuses about how difficult it is to attract players to Plymouth - don't recall Holloway or Sturrock having a problem (sorry only been a season ticket holder for 15 years so can't comment about pre-2000). DA obviously has something about him that appeals to players - despite all the negative media comments about his management style at Ross County. Great signings in the last week or so - overcomes the disappointment of AOC going elsewhere.

Jun 8, 2014
Cobi Budge.":1obsjb1g said:
Smalley is a decent footballer for this level, not a world beater, but he's a fair bit better than most make him out to be.

You're forever saying this whilst similarly lacking any evidence or argument to back it up..

May 21, 2015
After a serious knee injury Smalley will be taking this season to get fitness and confidence back. He'll be a bit part player this season at best.

Mar 14, 2009
Monster Green":bvki06tf said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":bvki06tf said:
Two or three classy loans and things are taking shape.

Another attack minded player. :thumbs:

I know Sheridan did a reasonable job, but I always thought we were defensively minded. Looking at this player and the others we have acquired (apart from sawyer) it always seems so positive because the dynamics of the team seem to be about scoring goals.

As for the one year deals I'm guessing going it this way he and they can assess the squad as the season progresses whilst it doesn't eat into more future budgets.

I do think it will take time to blend all these players. If you look at his time before with Ross county in the last few seasons he had to change personnel around and they started slowly. Yet his teams seem to pick up momentum by the new year. Argyle fans may not like it but August, September and October we might suffer a few defeats until this team settles.

Exciting times though if the football matches his offensive thinking.

Why do we need loan signings? To me, a loan signing is necessary in the event that a permanent player for a needed position cannot be filled to an acceptable level.

We need a defensive, ball winning midfielder, a right winger and a RB to push Mellor. That is 3 players. This squad is really starting to look sweet.

I only said loans, because DA said one more permanent signing to come. I prefer to have less loans but maybe we can't afford to sign that extra quality we needed without going to the loan market.

Jun 18, 2015
Cant see Smalley playing at all much when hes fit. Whilst I dont think he is that bad hes not great and out of all our strikers he would be at the very back of the pecking order. Cant see him playing ahead of Reid, Jervis, Brunt or Harvey. Maybe even another striker should DA manage to get another one in.

Sep 8, 2013
Very positive comments from all on here. Now I feel that all depends upon "character" in the squad and how well DA & CB/PW can gel players into a team. Maybe there will be other signings to come or perhaps loan signings when season begins. Given the inexperience of the squad together I feel that it is no bad thing that our early pre-season opposition is not super-strong to allow experimentation. But I do hope that there will be a true test in later pre-season. Look forward to seeing the new team play. Hope Reuben's return is not too delayed, but important he is right before being brought back. :scarf:

J

just_ste

I dont really ever know much about other teams players in this league but I know that everyone who talks about Simpson all say good things,so im excited to see him and the other new boys play,im so glad Sheridan left,had zero excitement about the new season but now im buzzing :scarf:

P

PAFC Galactico

Metal_Green_Mickey":32e3duqs said:
Monster Green":32e3duqs said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":32e3duqs said:

I know Sheridan did a reasonable job, but I always thought we were defensively minded. Looking at this player and the others we have acquired (apart from sawyer) it always seems so positive because the dynamics of the team seem to be about scoring goals.

As for the one year deals I'm guessing going it this way he and they can assess the squad as the season progresses whilst it doesn't eat into more future budgets.

I do think it will take time to blend all these players. If you look at his time before with Ross county in the last few seasons he had to change personnel around and they started slowly. Yet his teams seem to pick up momentum by the new year. Argyle fans may not like it but August, September and October we might suffer a few defeats until this team settles.

Why do we need loan signings? To me, a loan signing is necessary in the event that a permanent player for a needed position cannot be filled to an acceptable level.

We need a defensive, ball winning midfielder, a right winger and a RB to push Mellor. That is 3 players. This squad is really starting to look sweet.

I only said loans, because DA said one more permanent signing to come. I prefer to have less loans but maybe we can't afford to sign that extra quality we needed without going to the loan market.

Is it in the herald about the one more permanent signing?

Sep 8, 2013
Me too. We now have new signings, but do we, as yet, have a team able to challenge for play-off honours next season or are we still short in some areas?

Jul 6, 2011
Some good signings up to now, like others I'm looking forward to this season starting. It's going to be interesting to see the formation Adams uses and if he uses 442, which of Hartley, Nelson and McHugh he drops. I don't think he signed up Gary Sawyer to warm the bench somehow.
I'm in agreement with many of the comments on this thread concerning Dean Smalley, he has to go a long way to convince me that he's worth dropping one of our recent signings for or even being put ahead of Tyler Harvey in the pecking order.
Welcome Josh, just the kind of player we've been crying out for. Along with Carey and Cox behind them that midfield is looking pretty good.

Jun 18, 2015
Greenarmy99":2hsnuvei said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2hsnuvei said:
Monster Green":2hsnuvei said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2hsnuvei said:

Is it in the herald about the one more permanent signing?
I saw that too but I cant remember if that was in an article just before the Josh Simpson signing or after. Hopefully one more permanent CM. I think we will have 2 or 3 loans but it seems we have the core squad needed. Hope DA wont use loan after loan after loan like Sheridan used to do

Jun 8, 2014
Loans are simply part of lower league football - just because Sheridan is gone, it doesn't mean the loans are too.

P

PAFC Galactico

Can someone please explain where it was said about one more permanent signing? I read that we were hoping to get one in this week which is Simpson but is that it for permanent signings now?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
It would appear he's moving his wife and kids down too, I like his commitment, but seems a massive risk for someone on a one year deal.