Is Derek the right manager? | Page 39 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

Dec 22, 2016
Barnstaple
I remember thinking just after xmas in his first season that he was a manager that would get us back to the championship. I even fancied a double promotion in his first two seasons then, but obviously Wimbledon got in the way of that first promotion.

I'm a green tint, but I was a bit worried during that early season run. I always thought DA would get us out of it though, but only to safety by 2 or 3 places, not by getting within touching distance of the play offs. The change around is remarkable.

I really believe we are on our way to the play offs now with the momentum we now have. DA is a fantastic manager. We are lucky to have him and should celebrate it while we can. He'll soon be poached by a bigger club.

Mar 8, 2016
This sort of turn around rarely happens, no one could have foreseen such a change in results (other than maybe green army 1984). Adams and the players deserve all the smoke that is being blown up their arse right now. Unbelievable turn around.

Sep 6, 2006
Of course you have to say with hindsight he now is. However the start of the season is still a great mystery and he must take the blame for us under-performing at that stage. First game at Peterborough we were excellent, far better than them but didnt get the breaks on the day. So our form after that was quite mystifying, even more so now from going to a team bottom of the league with many opposition fans saying we were the worst team seen to now the polar opposite. I know injuries and suspensions played a part but we were not the only team to get injuries. I think it has to come down to tactics too. Once we get to the 52 point mark will be interesting to see if Adams goes really gung ho with his approach.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
After Wembey the other year i was furious and wanted DA out. A couple games into last season i felt the same way. Around November I said that Derek was a few games from the sack and i truly believe all of those feelings were fair.

However i am unequivocally delighted to say that Derek has shut me the f*ck up. Our turn around is nothing short of sensational! We could have done better at times for sure but we are flying now and its very enjoyable to be part of! Lets go snatch a playoff place!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Metal_Green_Mickey":12cx27gc said:
For the first 15 games we were pretty awful.

The criticism was justified. The football we played was poor. We were negative in our mindset. Beaten before we even kicked off. Shrewsbury at HP a good example when we had the win in our hands and we changed to a back 5 that just invited the equaliser.

The turn around is remarkable. We now play a positive brand of football. Get people up the field. First 15 games we defend by allowing teams to come in our own half of the pitch without pressing them. Now we are pressing much higher up the pitch.

Adams and the players deserve much credit for the dramatic turn around. However, the criticism was deserved for the first part of the season. Losing the number of games we did and playing that brand of football simply wasn’t good enough. You can argue what caused it and make excuses but simply it was a very bad period of games under Adams.

Now we can look forward to matches because we now play football on the front foot. I don’t care who is right or wrong in their belief about Adams. I’m just happy we reached a point in the season where it’s very exciting and we have a very good chance to reach our first goal. Our main goal. Safety.

We can surely just get behind the team and enjoy games that are approaching. Derby games against Rovers and Portsmouth at HP for starters.
Hmmm.... First off I much respect your thoughtful well considered posts Mickey, always well argued and I reckon you see tactical stuff that goes over my head. But you are wrong (IMO) about the Shrewsbury game at HP........ l came away from that convinced we had a good chance of survival (but never imagined this!). Adams changed to a defensive formation to see out the game we were winning against a top side ..... quite understandably - and we were unlucky to be undone with a very well taken equaliser. He did the same against Blackburn last week which worked a treat. Yet after the Shrews game people wanted his head on a spike - last week though luck was on our side and we were on a good run, not bottom of the league, so it was considered good 'game management'.

We were plain unlucky in those early games - bizarre sendings off, subsequent suspensions, injuries, defections etc. Confidence then takes a knock, negativity from fans, then the priority becomes grinding out results however you can to just stop the rot before the narrative for the season is set in stone. That's what he did. Not pretty but necessary. As results improved he could be more daring with the likes of Lameiras ....... which worked a treat and kicked us on to another level. In hindsight he made mistakes - but understandable ones. The recovery is astonishing. Now, as you say, we can sit back and enjoy it...... this is becoming my favourite season for years. Amazing.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I would go as far as to say that this campaign has been more enjoyable than the last. We all expected promotion last season and, to be honest, it didn’t feel like a massive achievement. As for Derek Adams, I called for his head in November and had nightmares of having to go to Gillingham on the last day to get something - at best. Well done, couldn’t be happier.

Sep 17, 2017
He seems to have stumbled on the right formula for getting results and more recently entertaining performances,

Based on recent returns I would say his ‘stock’ is as high as any managers in this league,

So, is DA the right manager, yes for us at the moment but time will tell if he can keep players, add quality and move us towards challenging to get to the next level, (because as a team and club we’re not ready yet)

Also if results continue its only a matter of time before a Sunderland or Hull come calling then who would blame if he did jump.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PilgrimZ1R":2foh8kfu said:
He seems to have stumbled on the right formula for getting results and more recently entertaining performances,

Based on recent returns I would say his ‘stock’ is as high as any managers in this league,

So, is DA the right manager, yes for us at the moment but time will tell if he can keep players, add quality and move us towards challenging to get to the next level, (because as a team and club we’re not ready yet)

Also if results continue its only a matter of time before a Sunderland or Hull come calling then who would blame if he did jump.
I would. Sunderland are shambolic on and off the pitch at the moment. He'd be mad if he went to them.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He certainly would be justified in considering other offers after the pasting he got in September and October.

If he stays, it will be because he has confidence and respect for our ownership and board rather than our supporters.

Having said that, I would exclude our regular travelling Green Army who have been superb and are even being complimented by our opposition.

In answer to the question, the answer is a resounding YES and has been from day 1 of his appointment.

Oct 31, 2015
davie nine":3tw4yejs said:
He certainly would be justified in considering other offers after the pasting he got in September and October.

If he stays, it will be because he has confidence and respect for our ownership and board rather than our supporters.

Having said that, I would exclude our regular travelling Green Army who have been superb and are even being complimented by our opposition.

In answer to the question, the answer is a resounding YES and has been from day 1 of his appointment.

Flagman

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Flagman":2v2odm5o said:
It's a simple question, but a far from simple answer.

Advantages
Stability (better the devil you know) This definitely paid off. I admit I was wavering in my belief DA could turn things around after the appalling start
Respect of the players, they bust a blood vessel for him Evident in the way they play. Although there have been falling outs, these are soon shipped (probably to avoid negativity in the dressing rooms)
Proven record (some will debate this) Can't argue with this now can we? Nearly a 50% away win record is amazing
Evidence of turning fortunes around (unbeaten, but few wins) The shoots were there and now their springing forth into beautiful blossoms

Disadvantages
Risk adverse (not blooding youth) This still rings true to some extent, young Cooper is an exception but only so because of bizarre circumstances
One dimensional Well he's proved the team can play in more than one style, so the highlighted disadvantage does not ring true. Missing key players, especially Taylor tied his hands a little. That doesn't take away from the lack of suitable cover which many identified we needed during the summer transfer window.
Having a set formula (which once worked out requires a new one) I suppose this goes back to the one dimension and being found out. It appears the players are able to adapt during the game to different styles and events. Shoring up defences with intelligent substitutions is a case in point.
Not trusting the players to play different styles to combat opposition? See above. Lack of personnel. Maybe we need to look at other ways of attracting players. Can we make it easier for families to move? Quality schools / child minding, quality temporary accommodation provided by the club? If we can't compete on wages, what other options are there to give us a competitive advantage?
Not attacking enough (defense first works for some teams/managers) Personnel again, need to identify players much earlier

I would like Derek to take more risks.
What are your thoughts/opinions?

Well I took some stick for starting this post with some pointing out the plethora of posts which seemed to criticise Derek. I never felt my original post was a criticism, more an observation, a chance to air opinion, after all this is a forum. Some used it as an opportunity to throw insults or more recently to say 'I told you so'. The insults were and are unnecessary, we can have differing views, we don't need to get personal. The 'I told you so's' are all good and we're delighted those who preferred to stick rather than twist were right and more importantly that DB thought so too!
I've made additional comments to the original post above to add to my views based on our recent good run. I still feel my original post has plenty of truths, but then I would do, their my opinions, nothing more. Others will have other observations and that's fine. Somewhere in among the debate nuggets of truth will be found which might even be read by those with the power to inform and make decisions and who knows our club might be better for it.
Onwards an upwards!

Jul 2, 2014
I do not think any person selected by the Board in summer 2015 could have accomplished what Adams has with the budget and conditions (legacy, location, etc.). I think that James Brent understands this and, consistent with good financial management, will give Adams whatever support he can, no questions asked. For a sizable number of fans, second guessing the manager is part of what they pay for with their ticket. I think that every manager understands this and tries to their utmost to completely block out such fan-expressed opinions and focus on their own thinking with the advice of just a very few trusted people like their assistants. That is exactly as It should be. I do not want the lead chef taking advice from the diners while working.