January`s Reckless spending | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January`s Reckless spending

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Steve Evans":105j4dty said:
The Grumpy Loyal":105j4dty said:
KCJ":105j4dty said:
http://mobile.pafc.co.uk/news/article/chairmans-january-pledge-2867759.aspx
And so it came to pass that James Brent fulfilled his promise and Argyle already entering 2016 with 52 points from 25 games went on to set new records at the top of league two
OR What really happened
The promise of backing the manager was unfulfilled apart for a couple of re-signed loanee`s and the loan of Jamille Matt who was admittedly a success. The team took 26 points from their next 20 games , their worst run since Carl Fletcher was Manager .
Appreciate the play offs may yet spring a surprise but folks we were lied to, the Manager was not properly backed and this is our payback

Spot on.

I'm just wondering what excuse Brent will have for his low-budget squad after the historical debt has gone?

We're now an established 4th division club, and if the Chairman ever gets his way we'll have a 4th division main stand. It's soul destroying. Especially when you have a club like Bristol Rovers who are our equivalent getting mega rich new owners.

Please sell up James.
sell to whom please?

One of the numerous offers that the club has received. What was it, one a month, often two. So likely a minimum of 30 various offers. And that's without looking. We're bigger than Brent. Time for him to go. We've been let down by the man trusted in charge of our club, big time. The absolute poo he decided to spout around Christmas only goes to prove how much of a charlatan the man is.

Raising expectation, offering good PR for the club, but ultimately delivering naff all. We ended up with a smaller squad at the end of the window than when we started!! I mean seriously, what the actual f##k.

No denying that the players have been poor, but they had unnecessary pressure put upon them as injuries struck once again. November was a warning, but old Brenty boy wanted to continue doing it on the cheap and he was more than happy it seems to milk the success.

BRENT OUT NOW!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
we don't know what the offers were though swim with the tide.they might have been serious but i suspect that they were fanciful and grandiose.he might have had thirty "heaneys" offered to him.

Sep 3, 2009
It was obvious we needed genuine renforcements in January and we just didn't get them. The chickens have come home to roost. Too many players rushed back out of need, only to break down again, including our main striker.

I was thankful to Sheridan for where he got Argyle but wanted to see the back of him at the end of last season. Feel the same about the chairman now. The thought of another half-baked recruitment budget in this sh*thouse division again next season is depressing beyond words.

Move aside.

Brent out.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Well we were told in Brent's March interview where he revealed these offers that he'd not received anything that he wanted to consider at that point in time. Yet our new investor, Mr Hallett informed us on this very forum that the move for him to purchase shares was put in motion in January. So I think our owner is full of hot air. I don't trust him. I want him gone. Others might love him and think he's the best owner we could possibly have, but I think he's taking us for a ride imo opinion mate.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Steve Evans":pr9fs43a said:
we don't know what the offers were though swim with the tide.they might have been serious but i suspect that they were fanciful and grandiose.he might have had thirty "heaneys" offered to him.

They might have been. Sadly we'll never know because another of Brents fanciful promises - transparency - isn't on the Home Park agenda.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Backing in January has nothing to do with anything. The teams around us barely strengthened in January. Oxford and Pompey didn't bring in a single player during January. Northampton brought in 1. Accrington 3 and Rovers 2, neither of which have had an impact.

We've f*cked it because of the way we've performed, not because we didn't sign new players. Our players ARE good enough to have gotten us over the line, fact is we lacked bottle and individual errors have cost us dear.

Feb 2, 2007
Nobby":2g2ptutl said:
Backing in January has nothing to do with anything. The teams around us barely strengthened in January. Oxford and Pompey didn't bring in a single player during January. Northampton brought in 1. Accrington 3 and Rovers 2, neither of which have had an impact.

We've f*cked it because of the way we've performed, not because we didn't sign new players. Our players ARE good enough to have gotten us over the line, fact is we lacked bottle and individual errors have cost us dear.

Not sure about the other clubs but Oxford bought in Maguire around then, who scored today and has been pretty good, Kenny on loan from Everton to replace the excellent MK Dons recalled loanee George Baldock and also since signed Waring on loan from Stoke in the last couple of months. They also started off with a very expensive, well paid Squad inc ex Prem Roofe, Alex MacDonald who had just played a lot for champions Burton, Sercombe, Excretia's best player and a few other fairly costly loanees.

I agree though full backs have been a problem since the days of Capaldi and Connelly- a massive Achilles heel for us. I wasn't a fan of Bhasera, Sawyer is one dimensional and not a great dimension, Mellor a hapless chicken, and several others aren't even worth typing about.

Sep 23, 2005
All conjecture but I did have the feeling that the holders of the purse strings felt we were going to walk it after our brilliant start. Why waste money on extra players and strength in depth when there are debts to pay off? Laudable in one respect but only if the goal of promotion is acheived.
Hence the recurring theme of over achieving from Adams to manage expectations and talk of budget not stretching far enough for players he was after.
I just hope he sticks with us.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
nick_PASTIE":27yr6epp said:
Nobby":27yr6epp said:

Not sure about the other clubs but Oxford bought in Maguire around then, who scored today and has been pretty good, Kenny on loan from Everton to replace the excellent MK Dons recalled loanee George Baldock and also since signed Waring on loan from Stoke in the last couple of months. They also started off with a very expensive, well paid Squad inc ex Prem Roofe, Alex MacDonald who had just played a lot for champions Burton, Sercombe, Excretia's best player and a few other fairly costly loanees.

I agree though full backs have been a problem since the days of Capaldi and Connelly- a massive Achilles heel for us. I wasn't a fan of Bhasera, Sawyer is one dimensional and not a great dimension, Mellor a hapless chicken, and several others aren't even worth typing about.

I was talking in terms of non-loans. Because Brent gave backing for loans, it's why we made some. Brent doesn't choose the players, Adams does. Adams chose Nardiello, Matt, Forster and Houghton.

We took the squad that was top of the league, added four players to it and ended up sixth. For me that's not an issue of poor backing from the board. That's an issue of individual performance, from Adams and certain players that have combined caused us to throw away a sh*t load of points.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Nobby":24i128zq said:

I agree with your second paragraph. We have also not been helped by sundry serious injuries to key players, over different phases of the season, who were not been adequately replaced at the time. As for saying Brent did not buy this player or that player, well, if he/the club cannot afford big signings/paying unrealistic wages, so be it. We are back in the play-offs yet again, and whilst I am not overwhelmed with confidence, there is always hope of progress. I feel the better weather affecting pitches could contribute towards Argyle POSSIBLY showing the form of last September. On the other hand, others might say 'wishful thinking'.

Mar 8, 2016
You only need to look at the bench from xmas onwards, most occasions we've not even been able to fill it. we was crying out for new signings, let's be honest we haven't really progressed that much at all from last season, its same old story of loan signing after loan signing, do any other league two side have more loans than they are aloud to play? I doubt it. Brent has done well to stabilise us but no way is he the right man at the helm to take us forward. He should realise this and actively look at finding the people that can.

Aug 10, 2006
HC Green":3v0tgd3o said:
Name his successor?
one of the blokes HE said were offering to buy the club every month don't know there name's but there are people out there.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
It would be a pointless exercise for the chairman to buy players that the manager doesn't want and do not fit his pattern of play, to this end I believe acquisitions are the sole responsibility of the manager. I don't believe that Adams is any kind of shrinking violet and would soon let the chairman know who he wished, it is obvious that whatever players where targeted by Adams either weren't available or didn't want to come (e.g.Smith). If we want to throw hissy fits all over the place, then better targets might be the Manager who persisted with tactics aimed at not losing, rather than winning, and a squad who at times either individually or collectively, decided they didn't want to perform as well as they could and should. Before you start looking for buyers for the club, remember there are many Oystons, Tans, Cellini etc. out their, be careful what you wish for.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
The players and manager deserve a share of the criticism too obviously but I would much rather see Brent leave first before all of them.

Brent out for me. Can't be dealing with the same old poo every season and the club just happy to tick along with a poo budget and poo vision.

Mar 14, 2009
Brent out, yet who comes in?

There is no one who wants to flash the cash at Argyle. It's that simple.

And guys be careful what you wish for. We come close to liquidation once.

I also don't want someone with money like the chairman at Leyton Orient who wants to pick the team. It's an embrassing situation for them. You really want this to happen to Argyle?

Those who want him out. Provide a viable alternative the fantase can realistically support.