Jimmy Spencer | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jimmy Spencer

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Frank Spencer makes Nick Chadwick look prolific as a striker
Taken footballing friends to a few games and they all have commented on what a cart horse of a striker he is and how the hell we are at the top of the league with him as our main striker.

I know he has a thankless task blah blah but it would help if he could do it properly.
Taylor is far better at it as well as looking like he could hit a barn door occasionally.

We will need a better plan than Spencer in league 1 or it will be a brief visit

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
samjones":2glv9255 said:
Taken footballing friends to a few games and they all have commented on what a cart horse of a striker he is and how the hell we are at the top of the league with him as our main striker.

I know he has a thankless task blah blah but it would help if he could do it properly.
Taylor is far better at it as well as looking like he could hit a barn door occasionally.

Why then in the games where Taylor has started recently and been replaced by Spencer have we always looked better when Spencer came on?

Apr 1, 2009
Argy1e":3htx0udk said:
samjones":3htx0udk said:

Why then in the games where Taylor has started recently and been replaced by Spencer have we always looked better when Spencer came on?

I am trying to think which games you are talking about. Mansfield, possibly, which others?

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Argy1e":1k31udbq said:
samjones":1k31udbq said:

We haven't and quite the opposite when Taylor replaced frank we have immediately looked a threat.

Spencer isn't mobile, has poor control, jumps too early and never wins a header, gives away loads of fouls and couldn't score in a brothel.
Must be one of the worst strikers ever at the club.

Sep 6, 2006
themightykeithfear":34ls64av said:
Balham_Green":34ls64av said:
themightykeithfear":34ls64av said:
thank goodness for a bit of reality from Nobby and GreenBin, theres plenty of good analysis on this post about what we require from a lone striker and its blindingly obvious to most people that jimmy doesn't have those qualities, he cant win balls, his first touch is poor, and hold-up play and passing average at best, if anyone watched the Donny game and cant see that then a trip to specsavers is required. I just don't get the argument that theres some mysterious quality that only the chosen few football aficionados can see while stroking their bearded chins, its like the emperors new clothes, as I said hes like steve maclean, he tries hard but in this role hes not very good

So because he struggled against Doncaster, the best team in the League, proves lt does it? One game. Did you see him at Crewe? or Wycombe? I suspect not. I prefer Taylor, Spencer is not the greatest, but he has definitely gone up in my estimation. He has a thankless task. As for Frank saying its Adam's best signing though, well thats just daft!

Ive seen Jimmy 5 times this season, same every time, as a striker you've got to be judged largely on assists and goals , 2 goals and 2 assists in 17 games just isn't good enough

Showing your ignorance. So firstly you have only seen him FIVE times. Secondly you are obviously clueless as to his role. His role is to get the side further down the pitch and bring others in to the game. He doesn't always do it effectively but he is a regular in a team that are going up so he cant be that bad. A striker is not just there to score and get assists but you clearly haven't understood that from your very rare visits.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Without wishing to make comparisons between Spencer and Taylor, as I do rate both and would probably go for Taylor as the better target man.

However, it is worth noting that, in the 16 games played before Spencer's ankle injury, we earned 38 points (he played in all but 2) and, in the following 16 games, in which Spencer only made 2 brief substitute appearances, we only earned 24 points.

Sep 6, 2006
samjones":kn43vpd7 said:
Argy1e":kn43vpd7 said:
samjones":kn43vpd7 said:

We haven't and quite the opposite when Taylor replaced frank we have immediately looked a threat.

Spencer isn't mobile, has poor control, jumps too early and never wins a header, gives away loads of fouls and couldn't score in a brothel.
Must be one of the worst strikers ever at the club.

And you are one of the most clueless fans at the club. Pretty sure you weren't at Wycombe when he was our best player. How easy do you think it is playing a lone striker marked by 2 centre halves and a sitting Midfielder in front? With the supporting cavalry way down the pitch. How about trying to think a bit more deeply sometimes about what you see?

Sep 6, 2006
themightykeithfear":1d97uhey said:
Balham_Green":1d97uhey said:
Balham_Green":1d97uhey said:
thank goodness for a bit of reality from Nobby and GreenBin, theres plenty of good analysis on this post about what we require from a lone striker and its blindingly obvious to most people that jimmy doesn't have those qualities, he cant win balls, his first touch is poor, and hold-up play and passing average at best, if anyone watched the Donny game and cant see that then a trip to specsavers is required. I just don't get the argument that theres some mysterious quality that only the chosen few football aficionados can see while stroking their bearded chins, its like the emperors new clothes, as I said hes like steve maclean, he tries hard but in this role hes not very good

So because he struggled against Doncaster, the best team in the League, proves lt does it? One game. Did you see him at Crewe? or Wycombe? I suspect not. I prefer Taylor, Spencer is not the greatest, but he has definitely gone up in my estimation. He has a thankless task. As for Frank saying its Adam's best signing though, well thats just daft!

Ive seen Jimmy 5 times this season, same every time, as a striker you've got to be judged largely on assists and goals , 2 goals and 2 assists in 17 games just isn't good enough

Showing your ignorance. So firstly you have only seen him FIVE times. Secondly you are obviously clueless as to his role. His role is to get the side further down the pitch and bring others in to the game. He doesn't always do it effectively but he is a regular in a team that are going up so he cant be that bad. A striker is not just there to score and get assists but you clearly haven't understood that from your very rare visits.

Well that put me in my place ! So Jimmy's role is to "get the side further down the pitch", what an inane cliché that means nothing, and to "bring others in to the game", that's what hes rubbish at doing !

I may not have seen him as many times as you , but Ive seen enough to know hes not v good, but I wont have an argument with you Balham as everyone knows on here that when it comes to a ding doing you is da daddy. Devon champ for winning fights in an empty room i hear

So you dont even understand what getting the side further down the pitch means! :funny:

Jan 3, 2013
Balham_Green":btnycgh7 said:
themightykeithfear":btnycgh7 said:

Well that put me in my place ! So Jimmy's role is to "get the side further down the pitch", what an inane cliché that means nothing, and to "bring others in to the game", that's what hes rubbish at doing !

I may not have seen him as many times as you , but Ive seen enough to know hes not v good, but I wont have an argument with you Balham as everyone knows on here that when it comes to a ding doing you is da daddy. Devon champ for winning fights in an empty room i hear

So you dont even understand what getting the side further down the pitch means! :funny:
I agree with you BG.

May 16, 2016
Admittedly his perfomances aren't always 'standout' but I remember a collective heads in hands when he was injured , people were concerned how we'd cope without him. Anyone with Argyle Player who has watched the Sonny Bradley post match interview will hear how Spencer assisted in his goal at the corner.

There is often more to someones game than the bleeding obvious.

Feb 15, 2005
He's a striker in the fourth tier and so we can't expect Diego Costa. However in his time in games at home he looks out of his depth in this league. BG is obviously a relative of his as he "gets us further up the pitch ". He should be able to score the occasional goal which seems beyond his capabilities. We are a top team with a very average or below average main striker. Cambridge United reserve?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
In which case Buck, if its blindingly obvious he aint good enough for Argyle, write to Brent tell him the man employed as manager clearly hasn't got a clue and it letting us all down by continuing to select a player of such mediocre quality.
Either that or the coaching staff appreciate what it offers the team and can see things that others aren't seeing?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Voice_of_Reason":2th6mxba said:
In which case Buck, if its blindingly obvious he aint good enough for Argyle, write to Brent tell him the man employed as manager clearly hasn't got a clue and it letting us all down by continuing to select a player of such mediocre quality.
Either that or the coaching staff appreciate what it offers the team and can see things that others aren't seeing?

Don't be ridiculous. You're telling me in your however many years of supporting Argyle, you haven't seen a player getting repeatedly selected who you thought wasn't up to scratch?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
You reckon thats more ridiculous that saying he is out of his depth in League 2?

Surely stating that in turn questions the man that picks hims?