Joel Grant (ex Grecian) signs. | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Joel Grant (ex Grecian) signs.

Nov 22, 2006
Guiri Green":3s8uinvu said:
Monster Green":3s8uinvu said:
Knibbsworth":3s8uinvu said:
Green Giant":3s8uinvu said:
For all there b*tch*ng about now he's signed for us looked like he was quite handy for them from the highlights in this game 1 goal and 2 assists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-ALnKsNis

"2 assists"? One was a simple ten yard ball cut back for Ryan Harley to smash in from distance. Hardly evidence of his creative genius! Fans are a bit too obsessed with stats nowadays. When it's the likes of Carey or Phillippe Coutinho placing a perfectly weighted creative pass through for a running forward to bury, or curling a lofted cross on to a striker's bonce - I get why assists are discussed. When they do it week in week out and make a difference, the stats paint a picture.

But "He got 2 assists!" Really? Was that a pass any player on our books last season couldn't have played? I think even Dorel could have comfortably picked Harley out from there. I don't see what that 'assist' tells us about Grant.

Your post makes it seem like you have absolutely no idea of how the game is played. Stats are the underlying facts of a player or team, and the fact you challenge this is astonishing. How on earth do scouts judge a player if they have no stats to go by?

I thought Scouts generally go and watch a player to judge him. Bit old School.

And Argyle's have and decided that he is good enough for us but apparently that's not good enough for some on here, I apologise for trying to put a positive spin on a frankly negative thread about a new player, but the job I do I know people can't help but find problems no matter what it's quite sad really

Aug 5, 2016
DartingtonPilgrim":2opt1hhc said:
Knibbsworth":2opt1hhc said:
Green Giant":2opt1hhc said:
For all there b*tch*ng about now he's signed for us looked like he was quite handy for them from the highlights in this game 1 goal and 2 assists

"2 assists"? One was a simple ten yard ball cut back for Ryan Harley to smash in from distance. Hardly evidence of his creative genius! Fans are a bit too obsessed with stats nowadays. When it's the likes of Carey or Phillippe Coutinho placing a perfectly weighted creative pass through for a running forward to bury, or curling a lofted cross on to a striker's bonce - I get why assists are discussed. When they do it week in week out and make a difference, the stats paint a picture.

But "He got 2 assists!" Really? Was that a pass any player on our books last season couldn't have played? I think even Dorel could have comfortably picked Harley out from there. I don't see what that 'assist' tells us about Grant.

So you conveniently ignore the fact that he made space to receive a pass , then took the ball and a defender wide before cutting a simple 10 yard ball back to Harley who was in space to have a shot on goal .

What did you expect him to do - run into tackle and shout 'where on earth did he come from?'

As far as I'm concerned he tried to beat the defender, couldn't, so turned around and played the simplest of passes inside. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not an 'assist' worth drawing attention to. The idea of an assist when people started mentioning them, was using an outstanding piece of skill to create a chance which was relatively simple to finish. The genius was in the vision and the creation of the assist that the likes of Zidane, Figo, Kaka and Beckham could produce.

Now we've gone on to counting 'assists' from ten yard passes inside from the wing which were nothing more than safe square passes to avoid losing possession. That's merely the point I'm making.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Or you could view it as he took the ball wide and saw Harley in space with a shooting opportunity so passed to him , i believe that is what wingers sometimes do , get out wide and look to cross or pass the ball to a player with a shooting/heading opportunity .

Feb 2, 2007
Cobi Budge":tigjijp0 said:
nick_PASTIE":tigjijp0 said:
Cobi Budge":tigjijp0 said:
nick_PASTIE":tigjijp0 said:
Knarf Reprah":tigjijp0 said:
Kentishgreen":tigjijp0 said:
Still no sign of Derek though.

A big concern

He will be back when pre season starts. Wottsy is more than capable of having his photo taken with the latest non-league acquisition!

David Fox wasn't wanted by a League 2 club, was he a non league aquisition? Oscar Threlkeld wasn't wanted by a League 1 club, non league acquisition? Ryan Taylor wasn't wanted by a League 1 club, non league acquisition? Jake Jervis wasn't wanted by a host of clubs, non league acquisition? Graham Carey wasn't wanted by two Scottish clubs, non league acquisition?

I could go on...

Lol just think about where we signed Joel Grant from! I would say "whoooosh" but it's too late.

Not a dig at the club or Derek's excellent recruitment strategy.

And Blissett will prove a great signing too.

Well I've been whooshed :lol:

Apologies

No worries! I shouldn't be so disrespectful to Exeter really, just can't help myself sometimes :funny:

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":1ltx1x6l said:
nick_PASTIE":1ltx1x6l said:
Knarf Reprah":1ltx1x6l said:
Kentishgreen":1ltx1x6l said:
Still no sign of Derek though.

A big concern

He will be back when pre season starts. Wottsy is more than capable of having his photo taken with the latest non-league acquisition!

David Fox wasn't wanted by a League 2 club, was he a non league aquisition? Oscar Threlkeld wasn't wanted by a League 1 club, non league acquisition? Ryan Taylor wasn't wanted by a League 1 club, non league acquisition? Jake Jervis wasn't wanted by a host of clubs, non league acquisition? Graham Carey wasn't wanted by two Scottish clubs, non league acquisition?

I could go on...

Please, you're boring enough

Mar 23, 2008
Crikey what an awful thread. Much like last season I'm sure the manager wants a decent squad with options with players such as Smith, Donaldson and Slew all bit part but added to our options and strength in depth. I suspect Grant falls into that category and maybe the pacey spark required from the bench to turn a game. Either way, be nice to welcome him without so many cynical responses. If you find Cobi boring (I don't) then just ignore his posts, no need to be rude.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Deacster":11vu6g6f said:
Crikey what an awful thread. Much like last season I'm sure the manager wants a decent squad with options with players such as Smith, Donaldson and Slew all bit part but added to our options and strength in depth. I suspect Grant falls into that category and maybe the pacey spark required from the bench to turn a game. Either way, be nice to welcome him without so many cynical responses. If you find Cobi boring (I don't) then just ignore his posts, no need to be rude.
great post.and cobi is certainly not boring he is a loyal supporter who always puts his comments on with honesty and sense.

Aug 5, 2016
Monster Green":2v5881jz said:
Knibbsworth":2v5881jz said:
Green Giant":2v5881jz said:

Your post makes it seem like you have absolutely no idea of how the game is played. Stats are the underlying facts of a player or team, and the fact you challenge this is astonishing. How on earth do scouts judge a player if they have no stats to go by?

I would suggest it is you who has no idea how the game is played if you think you can learn everything you need to know about a player just from these stats.

Gary Sawyer has got assists before for playing a simple ball into Carey on the halfway line who has beaten a player and fired a rocket from distance.

Meanwhile Enda Stevens has got assists for overlapping tirelessly and putting crosses into the box to be attacked. (Sawyer did it himself in fact putting THAT terrific ball in for Jervis v Pompey).

Both are assists technically, but those are two very different types of left back. One gets forward and gambles to develop attacks, the other stays back conservatively and makes himself very difficult to beat. That's why scouts are used - so managers can get a much fuller picture that stats can't tell.

The last players we signed that were flagged up by Argyle due to their terrific stats I believe, were Paris Cowan Hall and fireman Rhys Griffiths. Both were signed because their goals and assists were off the charts - and PCH was so young he could only get better. I'm sure a good scout could have saved money, time and effort by better envisaging their potential against Football League defences - a picture stats can't paint.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
back on topic...........if we had signed Watkins or Wheeler from Exeter then that would have sent out a signal to all the current fanbase and maybe a few thousand more that Argyle are looking to move on ....Simon Hallett is looking to increase the fan base after all...desperately need Carey on board else things look rather flat..

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
oddball":1dk2le7d said:
back on topic...........if we had signed Watkins or Wheeler from Exeter then that would have sent out a signal to all the current fanbase and maybe a few thousand more that Argyle are looking to move on ....Simon Hallett is looking to increase the fan base after all...desperately need Carey on board else things look rather flat..

Always with them negative waves Oddball.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

Mar 14, 2009
oddball":358nd6ts said:

Not sure what world your in but it just is not the real world.

Watkins would go for Millions. Wheeler must be worth around 350-500k in todays market.

Argyle now, and for many years to come will get free transfers and nominal fee transfers. They simply don't have the money to do anything else. Maybe when the grandstand gets built we can look beyond this but unless a "money man" buys Argyle for a few years to come people like Joel Grant are the type of signings we will bring in.

What I find the strangest comment though is you haven't even seen any of our signings play in a green shirt yet. So how can you tell what they will bring to the team?

Jul 29, 2010
That any fan of Argyle bemoans not spending money we don't have, after all we went through, is just insane. How short some memories are.

That it's Odders is less surprising.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
...you can only have austerity for so long before people get fed up with it...we have had some big attendances in recent years,coupled with cup money,transfer money and television money and that money should be ploughed back into team strengthening and I don't think it has been.......

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
oddball":2c38ee03 said:
...you can only have austerity for so long before people get fed up with it...we have had some big attendances in recent years,coupled with cup money,transfer money and television money and that money should be ploughed back into team strengthening and I don't think it has been.......

Looking forward to our next brush with administration?

Mar 14, 2009
oddball":1l8awpjr said:

What about increase in players wages? Higher division = larger budget spend surely?

You think Harpers park, the maintenance of the ground, players bonuses for promotion (I could carry on) all just was plucked out from the Sky?