Kettle | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kettle

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
MickyD":3g9b574n said:
davie nine":3g9b574n said:
I thought that I remembered something about him :-

The man in black inexplicably decided to blow for half-time in Accrington's League Two clash with AFC Wimbledon just as Billy Kee unleashed a shot in the Wombles' box.
Kee's strike ended up in the home side's net but it didn't count thanks to Kettle's ridiculous call and it ended up costing Stanley all three points.

Probably cost Accrington promotion.
That reminds me of the 1974 (78?) World Cup when Clive Thomas blew for half-time just as a Brazil corner was being turned across the line by Wotsitinho - and I mean literally at that very second.

Back in those days, though, there was none of that "Wait until the ball is 50 yards up in the air to avoid any risk of controversy before blowing your whistle to end the half" attitude. The only thing that could delay a half- or full-time whistle, regardless of what was happening, was a penalty.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this: has that rule ever officially been dropped or has it just been conveniently swept under the carpet as TV and mega-money have inexorably tightened their vice-like grip on the game?
That World Cup incident really had me boiling over. Clive Thomas officiated in an era when there were a number of referees who seemed to think that the crowd had come to see them and not the two teams. He was an attention-seeker of the highest order and I remain convinced that he did what he did at the 1974 World Cup simply to concentrate the world's attention on him. Another one of the same ilk was the guy who refereed our FA Cup tie at Leeds - Kirkpatrick was it? When refereeing under floodlights he even wore a plum-coloured refereeing outfit so that there could be a talking point from the minute he stepped into the arena. I actually think referees back then had more latitude. It is 40 years or more ago and there was none of the microscopic coverage and analysis there is today. There is not (and has never been) a single soul who can record time to the millisecond that Thomas purported to be able to do that day. And there would have been a lot less fuss had he allowed the goal - I think he knew that.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
memory man":3jx9n8c3 said:
MickyD":3jx9n8c3 said:
davie nine":3jx9n8c3 said:

The man in black inexplicably decided to blow for half-time in Accrington's League Two clash with AFC Wimbledon just as Billy Kee unleashed a shot in the Wombles' box.
Kee's strike ended up in the home side's net but it didn't count thanks to Kettle's ridiculous call and it ended up costing Stanley all three points.

That reminds me of the 1974 (78?) World Cup when Clive Thomas blew for half-time just as a Brazil corner was being turned across the line by Wotsitinho - and I mean literally at that very second.

Back in those days, though, there was none of that "Wait until the ball is 50 yards up in the air to avoid any risk of controversy before blowing your whistle to end the half" attitude. The only thing that could delay a half- or full-time whistle, regardless of what was happening, was a penalty.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this: has that rule ever officially been dropped or has it just been conveniently swept under the carpet as TV and mega-money have inexorably tightened their vice-like grip on the game?
That World Cup incident really had me boiling over. Clive Thomas officiated in an era when there were a number of referees who seemed to think that the crowd had come to see them and not the two teams. He was an attention-seeker of the highest order and I remain convinced that he did what he did at the 1974 World Cup simply to concentrate the world's attention on him. Another one of the same ilk was the guy who refereed our FA Cup tie at Leeds - Kirkpatrick was it? When refereeing under floodlights he even wore a plum-coloured refereeing outfit so that there could be a talking point from the minute he stepped into the arena. I actually think referees back then had more latitude. It is 40 years or more ago and there was none of the microscopic coverage and analysis there is today. There is not (and has never been) a single soul who can record time to the millisecond that Thomas purported to be able to do that day. And there would have been a lot less fuss had he allowed the goal - I think he knew that.
I agree with much of that but, millisecond accuracy or not, showboating or not, as I understood it Thomas was perfectly within his rights to blow when he did, and I still don't know if that has changed. I'm guessing not, because the referee's whistle is still final. These days, they just make sure that the ball is well out of harm's way when they blow to end a half!

Tim Roughton

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Sep 17, 2003
London
MickyD":w9cxmtqx said:
davie nine":w9cxmtqx said:

I'm pretty sure it's only convention that the referee now blows up when the ball is in a neutral position (often when the ball is on the air from a goal kick).

The law remains that when time is up, time is up - the only thing that should delay the whistle is a penalty.

This happened at the end of the Luton away game this season. 1-1 deep into injury time. We had an attacking corner. Carey took an age ambling over to take the corner and the ref blew up before (or as) he was taking it. The Green Army was upset but it was our own bloody fault for time wasting (we had settled for the draw).

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
with reference to clive thomas,who i thought was an excellent referee,i watched that world cup match in question and he blew for full time whilst the corner was being delivered,not after the player headed it.he was absolutely correct in blowing for time.i paraphrase what he said after the match"should we just keep playing until the team expected to win does win?".well done clive,wish we had more refs like you who didn't mind refereeing a match in the lower divisions.

Sep 25, 2010
Martyn":2wv8u6bx said:
OMG

We have Trevor Kettle, as referee for our last home game of the season next Saturday.

I have always supported the referee on forums on here, and I am a fellow ref.

But, I am not going to say anything about him, you have been warned, be prepared.

Well what did you all think ?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Martyn":38ul3wyv said:
Martyn":38ul3wyv said:
OMG

We have Trevor Kettle, as referee for our last home game of the season next Saturday.

I have always supported the referee on forums on here, and I am a fellow ref.

But, I am not going to say anything about him, you have been warned, be prepared.

Well what did you all think ?
Have a look at the Rate The Ref thread.