Leap of faith!!? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Leap of faith!!?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":2j4g2crc said:
This is the bit that some people still don't realise.

"When the League Board considered whether to permit Plymouth Argyle to continue as a member of the League back in 2011, it's probably safe to say that we were as close to preventing a club from carrying on as we've ever been in the modern era.

I know some people poo pooed the idea at the time, but there you have it from the man himself.
We weren't Portsmouth were we?
They'll bend over backwards for some clubs.

Jul 7, 2005
Whichever way it goes on Monday, I think a chant of
'James Brent's Green and White Army' would be appropriate - and appreciated.

Jul 29, 2010
My choice of shirt on Monday was made some time ago, the last kosher away shirt from 2011/12 upon which I had printed the wartime city slogan 'resurgam'.

It was to mark the starting point of our fightback as a club, we were going to 'rise again'. We had no idea then that it would take five years to get to a game where we could go up but we're there now.

It's been too long for many, they gave up on the sustainable model almost as quickly as they forgot the debt repayment commitments we've had to pay alongside team rebuilding. I've not forgotten how close we were to not existing and that remark just double underlines it.

It's not been a perfect tenure, but I struggle to think who could have done a better job with the cards dealt. The difference between detractors and supporters of the sustainable model is just the difference between patience/understanding and impatience/lack of understanding.

Monday is not the culmination of the season, it's the culmination of five seasons. Resurgam doesn't happen overnight, but we're on the cusp of it now and even if the worst was to happen, we're another step further forwards to achieving it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You maybe colour blind, but you're bang on with that one Smiffy!

:clap:

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
X Isle":2522ym26 said:
My choice of shirt on Monday was made some time ago, the last kosher away shirt from 2011/12 upon which I had printed the wartime city slogan 'resurgam'.

It was to mark the starting point of our fightback as a club, we were going to 'rise again'. We had no idea then that it would take five years to get to a game where we could go up but we're there now.

It's been too long for many, they gave up on the sustainable model almost as quickly as they forgot the debt repayment commitments we've had to pay alongside team rebuilding. I've not forgotten how close we were to not existing and that remark just double underlines it.

It's not been a perfect tenure, but I struggle to think who could have done a better job with the cards dealt. The difference between detractors and supporters of the sustainable model is just the difference between patience/understanding and impatience/lack of understanding.

Monday is not the culmination of the season, it's the culmination of five seasons. Resurgam doesn't happen overnight, but we're on the cusp of it now and even if the worst was to happen, we're another step further forwards to achieving it.
:thumbs:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
IJN":2b5zvedz said:
There were a few people who attended a meeting in Stoke in August that year.

I know, Ian De Lar, Peter Ryan and Graham Clark were there, as was I, that was the day a few of us (I did definitely) thought we'd lost our club.

I can remember a few of us having to leave the room for a breather during that meeting.

Yep. Much of the talk during that meeting was what league would we start again in and could we find a stadium.

AFC Wimbledon have their own story but so do we which seems to have been forgotten by the media including the local press.

Spare a thought on Monday for the players and staff from that time who all suffered financially so that the club could survive and have the chance of a trip to Wembley.
Also spare a thought for the local one man companies who took financial hits - a butcher, a dentist, car sales, a TV repair guy etc.

Curtis Nelson was present through all of this and the only player left from that time so it's fitting that he will lead the team out on Monday and hopefully lift the cup.

Jul 29, 2010
IJN":4y8p42yu said:
You maybe colour blind, but you're bang on with that one Smiffy!

:clap:

It's black and white to me this one....the other issue however is just shades of grey green :wink:

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
IJN":bzi5iqe4 said:
This is the bit that some people still don't realise.

"When the League Board considered whether to permit Plymouth Argyle to continue as a member of the League back in 2011, it's probably safe to say that we were as close to preventing a club from carrying on as we've ever been in the modern era.

I know some people poo pooed the idea at the time, but there you have it from the man himself.

It does bring back dark memories and gratitude for all who did their bit but don't forget that Greg Clarke was not a friend of Argyle at that time, he was gunning to take us down as they needed and wanted an example. He didn't take calls from the Fans' Trust when we were looking for information and guidance, just issued dark threats indirectly. He ignored the fact that the FL is a representative body of its members (inc PAFC) not a regulatory or management body. So, kudos and thanks to the hundreds involved positively but don't include Clarke or the FL in that number.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep.

I met him soon after Pete and words were had.

He denied it was like that, but that was my memory as well. Also met him at Luton last season and he seemed genuinely chuffed that we were where we were.

Oct 24, 2010
Despite Clarke's antipathy towards the club it is highly unlikely the FL would ever have rejected James Brent's offer, it was the only one on the table and the only chance the football creditors had of being paid.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Read what Peter said Richard.

They (The FL) wanted a club to go under as a dissuader to all other clubs approaching the same precipice.

I know you and Tony Hooper always said " we will never go under" but both of you were so, so wrong.

PutneyPete

♣️ PASALB Member
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
IJN":i4ehtqvc said:
Read what Peter said Richard.

They (The FL) wanted a club to go under as a dissuader to all other clubs approaching the same precipice.

I know you and Tony Hooper always said " we will never go under" but both of you were so, so wrong.

"To encourage the others" (definition: said ironically of an action (as an execution) carried out in order to compel others to obey or submit) is and was a thought still present in English life.

The theory that you can make an example in punishing some body, and so make others behave is still with us.

Jul 29, 2010
Would they have made that example of us had AFC Heaney/Ridsdale been the only option?

With Ridsdale's record in football/business?

With Heaney's record in business?

I think the odds would have shortened massively, if not to a cast iron certainty.

So for all the belly aching about James Brent that has followed from many within our number, the alternative was far far worse.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There are still some genuine Argyle supporters who are prepared to put it around that there were other alternatives to James Brent.
I think today's statement puts that idea to bed. Unfortunately, they will still not be convinced.