Least favourite away day | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Least favourite away day

Relegation at Burnley was probably the worst. Spent my entire student grant on transport/match ticket so you can see how generous Cornwall Council were. To top it off, Bristol City had won promotion at Preston so when we changed trains, it was full of jubilant City fans. They at least bought us a beer.

Worst performance I've ever seen was a league cup tie at Barnet with Taribo West being skinned time after time. Never seen a footballer with such little mobility.

M

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Brighton's always guaranteed to be awful.

That Barnet game with Taribo, seemed a wind-up how bad he'd become without retiring. Having the devil himself Poolis in the stand also made for a bad evening.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Staggered we've got to 30 odd posts and Reading away (85/86) hasn't come up. Sitting 2nd in the table behind Reading, 3-0 up with 25 minutes to go and coasting, Nisbet gets sent off and we somehow contrive to lose 4-3. Still hurts nearly 30 years on.

Oxford away was fairly traumatic the season before last, Simon Walton pulled it back to 1-1 just after half time and it looked like we may just about get away with fielding the worst X1 ever to gain a football league point. Oxford finally dawned just how poor we were and we were in the end lucky to only get beat 5-1. I seem to remember the bench was quite decent (Romain, Fletch at least)

Melbourne Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jul 12, 2005
Can't believe no-one's mentioned the 5-0 hiding we took at the hands of Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup at Trumpton Park, sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. The only time I've ever left early - horrible 'performance' and we got pished on for the entire game at that brothel of a place. Does anyone remember their Jimmy Saville lookalike who did all the prematch entertainment?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
football-bet-data":3nzcugyc said:
Don't these threads just turn into a "if you are 20 or under, what is the worst game of the past 2 seasons"

Brentford away under Shilton (0-7)
Burnley away when we were relegated (by them).

Proper humiliation
So glad I was ill for that Brentford match :funny:
Burnley relegation match. For ever.

P

pafcstafford

James_Dennis":22anl1t9 said:
Macclesfield away circa April 2000. The nadir of the Kevin Hodges era. Awful, non-league stadium and a non-entity of an opposition but we contrived to lose 4-1. I remember sitting on the platform waiting for the train back to Nottingham seriously pondering if I'd ever bother going to a game again.

That was truly awful think we fitted in a 3-0 loss away to Lincoln on a Tuesday night aswell.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
pafcstafford":zbcfjmmp said:
James_Dennis":zbcfjmmp said:
Macclesfield away circa April 2000. The nadir of the Kevin Hodges era. Awful, non-league stadium and a non-entity of an opposition but we contrived to lose 4-1. I remember sitting on the platform waiting for the train back to Nottingham seriously pondering if I'd ever bother going to a game again.

That was truly awful think we fitted in a 3-0 loss away to Lincoln on a Tuesday night aswell.
thanks for reminding me of those two :facepalm:

Apr 24, 2013
reading when we lost 4-3 after being 3 up and villa park semi-final especially seeing kevin hodges shot take a deflection when on target and the ref give a goal kick instead of a corner then we knew it was not to be argyles day.

C

centralgreen

Swansea away - a wet tues night we lost 1-0 ,fallon missed a sitter. It rained all thecway up and all the way back.

West brom away when we lost 2-1 (falllon scored a great goal) dodgy ref who bottped goving us two pens and aggressive / poo stewards

C

Cobi Budge.

centralgreen":kiu5ncu3 said:
Swansea away - a wet tues night we lost 1-0 ,fallon missed a sitter. It rained all thecway up and all the way back.

West brom away when we lost 2-1 (falllon scored a great goal) dodgy ref who bottped goving us two pens and aggressive / sh1te stewards

I've seen us play at West Brom 3 times and the stewards have been appalling every time.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
1975 Notts Forest, first game of season in Div2. (First league match after the notorious Peterborough game) If you were there . . . nuff said. If you wern't . . you had to be there.

C

Cobi Budge.

Cornish Chris":2quty6an said:
Losing by lots away to Ipswich, every season.

What about the 2 0 win there under Mariner? ;) that was a real shock, they hadn't lost in 18 home matches or something like that.

J

James_Dennis

pafcstafford":3bonlb57 said:
James_Dennis":3bonlb57 said:

I was there for that one too! A truly depressing time to be an Argyle fan, as we just seemed to be slowing rotting away.

I remember at the Lincoln game there was a guy sitting in front of me who started ranting and raving at the players after the third goal. A youngish guy in front of him looked back in bemusement, and the former said something like "What the f*** are you looking at? It's alright for you, you're young; I've had to put up with this sh** for years!". He then proceeded to sit down with his face in his hands, seeming for all the world if he was experiencing a complete psychological breakdown!

Was the only thing to smile about all evening.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
James_Dennis":2qpw0isd said:
pafcstafford":2qpw0isd said:
James_Dennis":2qpw0isd said:

I was there for that one too! A truly depressing time to be an Argyle fan, as we just seemed to be slowing rotting away.

I remember at the Lincoln game there was a guy sitting in front of me who started ranting and raving at the players after the third goal. A youngish guy in front of him looked back in bemusement, and the former said something like "What the f*** are you looking at? It's alright for you, you're young; I've had to put up with this sh** for years!". He then proceeded to sit down with his face in his hands, seeming for all the world if he was experiencing a complete psychological breakdown!

Was the only thing to smile about all evening.

I think you may find that was our very own Tyhee! I was sat next to him and, you're right, it was the only good thing that evening.

The 4-3 at Reading was the worst for me though. Me Dad and I were in the home end with my Reading supporting brother in law. How we were gloating with 20 minutes to go! Nightmare followed.