Luggy's Book | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Luggy's Book

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Quintrell_Green":utunq7ra said:
esmer":utunq7ra said:
Green Rhino":utunq7ra said:
esmer":utunq7ra said:
This was our doom. We were paying wages that other Championship clubs where paying, not what we could afford. He was a decent player but paying the likes of Marcel Seip £300, 000 per year was madness. Stapleton and co have a lot to answer for.

But it wasn't Stapleton, it was Todd.

What the book does do is it gives Stapleton a bit of a platform to wriggle out of some of we thought were his responsibilities and stack up the balance sheet against the abysmal Todd.

In general, the book has some nice anecdotes in there but it all looks a bit rushed to me - too short, skimpy on every aspect of his life and career and padded out by contributions which generally don't add much. Happy to have bought it and read it but it won't stay in the memory long. An opportunity largely missed.
The vast majority of these silly contracts, including Seip's, were awarded by Stapleton's board prior to Todd's arrival. I'm no fan of Todd but in many ways he inherited a poisoned chalice.

It did indeed turn out to be a poisoned chalice, but nobody twisted his arm to pick it up to drink from, in the first place. If I was to make an observation, I would say that he failed to make 'due diligence' as to Argyle's financial situation initially and make poor judgement about the other inward investors. This, together with no background in professional soccer as an administrator/director put him on a path of financial disaster for himself and the Club. James B had no previous background in soccer but I think he was/is financially much more astute and he found better professional administrative support in the likes of Mike Starnes. It was a very difficult chapter in Argyle's life. Let's forget about it and enjoy the present success in the hope it continues until May 2016.
I'll forget about it when I'm dead QG.
But i'm certainly enjoying the present season indeed.
Winning this afternoon will be a sweet treat for a gloomy day :thumbs:

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Seeing the once great pilgrim manager quoted today in that there Sunday independent saying he's no association with relegation, excuse me, taken over by a managerial mug like Mariner, it was breast shaped up, but it had luggy' wax all over it.

So it goes

Jul 13, 2006
Gary_Wills":3imeq6ja said:
Seeing the once great pilgrim manager quoted today in that there Sunday independent saying he's no association with relegation, excuse me, taken over by a managerial mug like Mariner, it was breast shaped up, but it had luggy' wax all over it.

So it goes

There used to be someone in the Herald. Was it Helma, some weird name who used to come out with strange random quotes too. Anyone remember, and can anyone understand any of it?!

Jan 27, 2012
Why does everyone blame Stapleton when the club entered administration when Roy Gardner was chairman and, by all accounts, most day-to-day decisions were being made by Keith Todd ? Stapleton was only a monority shareholder at that point.

We had 10 years of success under Stapleton and the old, local, board. I've never met the bloke, but he seems alright to me. Its a bit unfair all this criticim I think- go pick on George Synan or Kagami instead !

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i met paul stapleton a couple of times on motorway service stations when i was still travelling to away matches.he is a very nice bloke in my opinion.he made mistakes i am sure,who hasn't?i would welcome him back to home park as a season ticket holder as we need every penny we can lay our hands on.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
foreigner":3uzh9rp9 said:
Gary_Wills":3uzh9rp9 said:

So it goes

There used to be someone in the Herald. Was it Helma, some weird name who used to come out with strange random quotes too. Anyone remember, and can anyone understand any of it?!
Professor Stanley Unwin was easier to understand!

Oct 24, 2010
gaspargomez":35m38utf said:
Why does everyone blame Stapleton when the club entered administration when Roy Gardner was chairman and, by all accounts, most day-to-day decisions were being made by Keith Todd ? Stapleton was only a monority shareholder at that point.

We had 10 years of success under Stapleton and the old, local, board. I've never met the bloke, but he seems alright to me. Its a bit unfair all this criticim I think- go pick on George Synan or Kagami instead !
Stapleton's board were responsible for awarding the vast majority of the excessive contracts which resulted in a wage bill we couldn't sustain and a Football Creditor's debt we are still paying. Although far from the only issue it was the major reason for our near demise. Unfortunately they are the most culpable, although that is not to excuse Todd's mismanagement of the club which made a bad situation worse. However, given the situation caused by these contracts it is difficult to see how Todd could have staved of administration.

Jan 27, 2012
I thought there was a financial analysis presented on this site once to show that the books were more or less balanced when Stapleton was chairman. In other words the playing contracts were sustainable (the club received millions in transfer fees remember).

Anyhow- Gardner, Todd, Kagami and Synan were well aware of the club's finances when they took control of the club. If things were in such a terrible mess they would not have invested.

I have yet to see much evidence that Stapleton was the main reason for the club's collapse. He just made the mistake of selling to the wrong people.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think everyone would agree with that!

The rot started when the went outside of Plymouth.

Oct 24, 2010
gaspargomez":3r2yeiwd said:
I thought there was a financial analysis presented on this site once to show that the books were more or less balanced when Stapleton was chairman. In other words the playing contracts were sustainable (the club received millions in transfer fees remember).

Anyhow- Gardner, Todd, Kagami and Synan were well aware of the club's finances when they took control of the club. If things were in such a terrible mess they would not have invested.

I have yet to see much evidence that Stapleton was the main reason for the club's collapse. He just made the mistake of selling to the wrong people.
Sorry but the facts don't support that. The contracts awarded by Stapleton's board committed the club to excessive expenditure two to three years into the future, which was the main cause (not the only one) of our problems. As I recall at the end our wage bill was close to 90% of our income, which was obviously unsustainable.