Magic 10 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Magic 10

Jul 29, 2010
SeaninStDenys":mj9n955o said:
I don't like to be pedantic X Isle (but...) and I acknowledge that on balance the teams we've played so far have been bottom-half. Notts County though now have as many points as Luton and indeed anyone else except Argyle, so that's 1 team in the 'leading pack' that we have beaten.
So that's 80% non 'leading pack' sides we've played, not 90%.

Hardly massively undermines the point does it.

Mar 14, 2009
I remember asking style v substance last year.

There was a little bit if style but the substance seemed greater.

Then it all fell apart.

I looked at last year and wonder where the key characters were in that playing squad. Nelson was capt and for me he wasn't going to grab players and tear into his team mates when they were losing. Hartley might of. Yet who else??

I look this year at someone like Bradley. More vocal than we had in the side for a while. Osborne a proven capt with other teams. Experience like Fox and Miller who are at that age to guide others.

This side has played OK in patches. To maintain a top 3 spot we are going to need to play better. Yet we have only played 10 league games together this season. I feel we are still looking for people's best positions. Despite all this we have people who don't seem to like to lose. It's not pretty, but then we have league 2 standard players, yet we got heart.

Early days, but we would of all dreamed for a start like this.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
X Isle":irm3kdx8 said:
ArgyleGarg0yle":irm3kdx8 said:
Argyle have now completed 10 league matches. Time for people who were on the fence to make their judgements.

Top spot and 5 points clear.

Discuss.
Discussed it already. Too soon.

We've only played one of the leading pack, and they thumped us. By 15 games we'll have played Pompey and Colchester...we'll know more by then.

As it stands therefore i'm still yet to be convinced and will take my 10-15 right up to to the maximum limit.

Even then we're capable of nausing it up, just look at last season.

You know what they say about statistics Smiffy!

Those that we played, and beat, at the beginning of our run were all actually above us in the table at that time.

Ergo although they may be below us now, they would still have been a "top half" side.

You can only play, and beat, what is put in front of you on the day...regardless of their position in the league.

Jul 29, 2010
Say what you like about it, but i'm going with my gut feeling as articulated, I am yet to be convinced that our current position is sustainable.

I look forward to feeling more convinced after the Colchester game :wink:

A

andyr1963

Top after 20% of the season gone.

Top and clear.

We are still available at 9 / 1 at various bookies.

Get on quick as that will not last long.

Aug 5, 2005
If you look at the table 2nd to 12th are separated by 2 points. So if we had beaten a top half team, they wouldn't be top half cause we would have beaten them.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
home@homepark":2hz08gyd said:
Seem to remember last season at one stage we were 8 points ahead, lots of twists and turns ahead.

The 8 point lead quote is a myth and has become a Pasoti "fact", the biggest lead we had last season was 5 points, the same as now.

After 10 games last season we were second on 20 points, one point behind the leaders Wycombe.
After 10 games last season only one team in the top 7 ended up promoted or only 2 teams in the top 10 ended up promoted.

It's obviously a long way to go but this team has more character, determination and bottle than the team from last season. The team know how to win ugly or grab a point after a very average performance and have just won four away league games on the trot, something the team from last season couldn't manage.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
If we can get the home support hyped up with positivity and get some good results at home who knows what can happen.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Ah! You see, there's where you are making a mistake Postey!

Facts!

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Agree with PL2, compared to last season's team, this one has real strength physically and mentally...more efficient, resilient and much less likely to blow a 1 nil lead with 10 minutes to go!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Thought you meant our number 10 for a second, who couldn't seem to beat a man one on one all evening, despite easy pickings; try as he might, and forever impress in less dangerous areas when trapping and passing a ball sideways, obvs without pressure.

One moment of brilliance, outwith lesser so the full backs having to finally kill the game off: that touch, sending much of the defence elsewhere with the body language, from Goodwillie for creating the first goal, worth two times the non-queue to get there, imho. Jaw dropping. Hope not to be corrected by the match day momento footage.

Goodwillie did not much else effectively, mind. For a game slow on the deck, which apparently is his shortbread and dripping.

The lack of a game was begging for Ijaha, imho, what with too much insurance policy defending, no particularly quick legs needed bombing up down the mid. Just creative difference required, why not try!

Lucky Derek, long may it continue. At least we had two up front, versus their none.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
harbourgreen":3fngkt6i said:
Agree with PL2, compared to last season's team, this one has real strength physically and mentally...more efficient, resilient and much less likely to blow a 1 nil lead with 10 minutes to go!

I don't think we can say that yet.

Last season's team had a habit of scoring late goals and winning late in the first half of the season. It was the 2nd half of the season when they crumbled and bottled it.

We won't know about this team's mental strength until much later in the season. We're certainly putting ourselves in a good position though.

May 8, 2011
samjones":3q5lgpcv said:
Word of caution and lets not get carried away - we were 10 pts clear last xmas and fluffed our lines.

First pick XI is possibly not as strong but crucially the bench and squad is.

Great to be winning and picking up points even if we are not playing well

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Not quite true, after beating Yeovil on Boxing Day we were top, 2 points clear of Oxford in second and 6 points clear of Portsmouth who were 4th.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Fantastic Start To The Season & Proudly Top Of The League

Big difference this season is we have a stronger defence , More Clean sheets & scoring goals

Very Strong Squad of players is a massive Plus

Very similar to 2001/02

Feeling Postive