Matty Kennedy | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Matty Kennedy

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Kentishgreen":1ispo16v said:
Yes his style is so easy to defend against which is why he's only scoring every three games or so.

Incorrect. He scored 3 in his first 4 games when he was a new prospect for other teams. He then went 10 without scoring as teams stopped him coming inside.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I'm sure you can do better than that.

Look, it's simple. He's stronger on his right foot so likes to come inside from a left wing berth. Hence, if you can send him down the line on his left foot he's much less of a goal threat. After his excellent introduction to the team, successive managers worked it out and he was much less effective. He played well at Pompey finding space in front of the back four and was very good against Newport who evidently let him come inside.

I think he's a talent and said in a previous post that League 1 is where he should be next season. But there has to be something different if teams stop him from coming inside. That may be dropping deeper, moving more central or even for DA to swap wings. I don't think that's too difficult to see.

May 16, 2016
A bit like Noone, good at what he does but what he does is a little lacking in variety and easily predicted / remedied.

Aug 5, 2016
twist of lime":y1xknh57 said:
Knibbsworth":y1xknh57 said:
jimsing":y1xknh57 said:
Knibbsworth":y1xknh57 said:
Knarf Reprah":y1xknh57 said:
Colin has already stated that Argo have no chance of signing him

Well I don't see Colin playing him in the Championship, so I think the prospect of a season long loan at League One level might be attractive to all parties. All rests on how much the young Scotsman has enjoyed his time here, and whether he wants another twelve months of it.

AND whether Adams wants to take him!

Adams has shuffled wingers like a deck of cards in his two seasons at Argyle.

Wylde, Jervis, Tanner, Carey, Slew etc. have been interchangeable.

I haven't seen a winger get a straight run of games like Kennedy has for Argyle. Adams clearly likes him.

I'm not in the know but I would think his loan deal has a clause that he starts if fit....

As others have said there were a few games when I was surprised he started instead of Slew and I think he was subbed early in 2nd half of those games.

COYG

I don't think clauses like that can exist. There was a rumour that Chelsea loaned us Jordan Houghton - free of charge if he played, £4,000 a week wages if he didn't. That obviously pressures a manager to start the loanee in its own way.

As for Kennedy, Warnock made it clear he was doing Argyle a favour letting us have this player with plenty of SPL and Championship experience. I don't think Warnock had any fear that Kennedy would come down to League Two level and be warming any bench, so I'd be surprised if there were any clauses attached at all.

Kennedy is in our team because in a fraction of a season he's skinned all manner of defenders and smashed in 4 long range goals from outside the box, and hit the post in several other attempts. There's no conspiracy. If it's so easy let Slew or Tanner come in and do it. Carey is the only other Argyle player (under Adams) with a record of repeatedly beating players and hitting good long range goals.

Aug 5, 2016
Frank_Butcher":3cicjv3q said:
Mike Charlick":3cicjv3q said:
I'm sure many full backs have said the same about Arjen Robben. Just show him down the line. Easier said than done.

Maybe. But several managed it in League Two. League One won't be any easier.

And several haven't.

To stop an aggressive winger like Kennedy from cutting inside and doing damage, opposition side backs have to play more centrally and expose the flank.

Yes, Kennedy's left foot is worse than his right, but still I would not advocate conceding an area of the pitch for Kennedy to attack and cross into.

His left foot was good enough to pick out Ryan Taylor for his goal on Saturday. That's if goals against a side with 3 clean sheets in the previous 3 matches still count, which according to Balham Green is open to question.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":3f5kogg9 said:
Kentishgreen":3f5kogg9 said:
Yes he's only scored five goals in fifteen games. Terribly mediocre. Send him back...

2 against one of the worst defences ever seen at Home Park. Do you think it will be quite as easy in League 1?

Either side of Argyle's win, Newport have had FOUR clean sheets in the last five matches.

Not bad from one of the worst defences you've ever seen?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Same old story; so predictable. If we do well, it is because the opposition was rubbish.

That statistic puts it in perspective, Knibs.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
As well as his 5 goals, he also has 3 assists. In 15 games. If Kennedy kept that going over a whole season, he'd finish with 15 goals and 9 assists. Not bad at all, really.