Mellor at CF (Instead of Harvey) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mellor at CF (Instead of Harvey)

Oct 24, 2010
The substitution showed Sheridan's opinion of Brunt's performance and displayed his confidence in Harvey's abilities.

Mar 18, 2006
Bring on who you like, it would make no difference .
If we go a goal down, we simply don't get anything out of a game .

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
I think it's time to give Mellor another run in the side. Talbot has done ok but definitely not better than an in form Mellor
I was surprised that Mellor wasn't played at right wing back for Talbot when the substitutions were made, and Nelson put up front, as he has got more goalscoring threat than Mellor has.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I think Mellor should be played exclusively upfront, it was my highlight of the game!

Feb 2, 2007
Mellor missed an absolutely ridiculously simple chance to equalise at Gigg Lane earlier in this season, so perhaps he was being given the chance to redeem himself. He had one great chance from the best cross Talbot played all game and fluffed it. Experiment over for now...

Two tough games this week and I don't fancy us without Reuben and Lee.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The substitution showed our lack in depth. With Morgan gone (non playing sub for Hartlepool today) we had no out and out striker on the bench.

Brunt was never going to last 90 minutes and is of more use as an impact sub but after him and Reuben who else is there? We have plenty of midfielders and players who can play the number 10 role but that's it.
The squad is unbalanced with a lack of wingers and strikers.

C

Cobi Budge.

Sadly none of the subs helped today, in fact they made us weaker, personally I think Banton's time at the club is coming to an end. I can't see any reason to offer him a new contract.

He needs to drop a league to stand a chance of re-igniting his career but sadly, I think he's busted, just not a very good player anymore, and that's probably due to a number of things. It's sad because when he came on today he did actually seem to have a spring in his step and he did seem to work hard, but he just couldn't make anything happen, all too familiar I'm afraid, I don't think it matters where we play him, we can't hold on to memories from the past hoping he'll come good.

It was a MASSIVE mistake letting Thomas go, we haven't even replaced him with a loanee and he was the only winger we have (well, had). I know we don't use wingers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have one handy to come on and enable us to use a different formation without playing people ridiculously out of position.

As for Mellor, I like both him and Talbot, Drew had a poor game but not because he's a bad player, he had a poor game because his decision making was slow & generally poor. I can see reasons to play both Mellor & Talbot so I'm not sure which one i'd select. Mellor has the skill (on his day) to beat a man but then Talbot is a cracking crosser of the ball.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think the reason why Banton hasn't delivered here is because of sheridans constant persistence of playing him left wing when we all know he's most effective through the middle, playing left wing had probably drained Banton of any confidence he once had. If we gave him a run of games playing through the middle we may of had a helluva player on our hands as shown in his first spell.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
He also showed himself to be a very good player out left in his first spell too though. The biggest problem with Jason Banton is and will always be Jason Banton's head. Can't keep hoping he'll come good much longer. The only thing I can see doing it is a short, sharp shock. Needs to go for his career and for the club.

It worries me that I'm agreeing you with more on football matters Cobi (it'll never extend to politics) but yes, mistake letting Thomas go.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Steve.PAFC2012":2dgi5y8n said:
I think the reason why Banton hasn't delivered here is because of sheridans constant persistence of playing him left wing when we all know he's most effective through the middle, playing left wing had probably drained Banton of any confidence he once had. If we gave him a run of games playing through the middle we may of had a helluva player on our hands as shown in his first spell.

Completely agree with this.

Jul 11, 2011
I think it was a sign of desperation and lack of ideas to try and beat a side that were evidently better than us.

Sheridan does not have a great reputation for his during game tactics and subs but if he was good at everything he would not be with us. Beaten by a better side, so disappointing but have to move on. Only way we would have won would to have really got in their face (like we did for 10mins after half time) but it is hard to sustain that level of performance.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
interesting to see that thomas didn't play for motherwell today which,as a fan of his,is disappointing.he never was given a fair chance here.i hope he does with his new club

Cobi Budge.":7ehz2jgj said:
What a kick in the teeth for Harvey that must have been.

Truly bizzare decision. A chance fell to Mellor when we were 1 0 down and he just got his feet muddled up, if it had fallen to a striker I doubt it would have happened.

I really don't understand playing players out of position ? Surly Tyler would have been a better option??? Oh wait! Sheridan wants Tyler who has learnt his trade as a Striker to play as a midfield general. :facepalm:

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
The physical Bury centre backs would have eaten Tyler alive to be fair. Still Bizarre sticking Mellor up front and taking off McHugh who had been our one of our best (if not the best) performer today. After the substitution we threw bodies forward and played a bit more direct. Better option would probably have been to leave McHugh on and stick our 3rd top scorer, Hartley, up there or even Nelson. As others have said putting Mellor at RWB and Moving Talbot up top would also have made more sense.