Mellor at CF (Instead of Harvey) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mellor at CF (Instead of Harvey)

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Desperation from a manager who lost the plot today.
Hoof ball didn't work all day so bringing on Harvey and playing it on the ground surely had to be worth a go when all else had failed

I would love to hear JS's logic on those subs, it simply didn't make any sense at all.

As usual No Plan B

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I wouldn't have brought on Harvey against that defence; they were a very physical, niggly side a set up that a lightweight like Harvey would have been bullied out of the game by.

Mellor, although not a forward has a physical presence about him and is willing to get stuck in, even after an elbow to the face he came back and got straight back in to win a header (a feat that Brunt couldn't manage all game).

It was the right call for me, either Mellor or Nelson up front with Brunt unable to make an impact.

Why change the system anyway?
Just change some personnel and push up and press again which we had stopped doing after they scored.
352 is an attacking passing system which could have hurt those big CBs if we could have got at
them a bit more with guile rather than brawn.
We did it well against Cambridge in the second half of that game so why did he want to go to a more
direct 442 when we dont have the players on the bench to play that way anyway.
If he wanted to try something outside the box why not banton or harvey for brunt. It might have
forced our players to pass and move more.
Nothing wrong with going more direct when chasing games but at least have players on the bench who
can suit that style.

C

Cobi Budge.

I think it's nonsense to suggest it was correct not to bring Harvey on because he would have been bullied, & I'm usually not a fan of Harvey.

What was the point in bringing on Mellor and continuing with hoof ball? The way to beat the Bury CB's was not to continue playing them at their own game when we had been failing at it for 70 minutes anyway, the way to beat them was to keep the ball on the floor, and when we did that for a 10 minute spell in the second half, we caused problems.

Bringing on Mellor was just desperation, I don't wanna bash him too much, but if Sheridan was a better 'in-game' manager, he would have made a different choice & in actual fact, the decision he made only weakened us. We had an excellent chance at 1 0 when the ball was crossed in perfectly for Mellor, a striker would have known to hit it first time and just get it on target, mellor got his feet muddled (can't blame him, he's a RB) and the chance was gone.

We should have kept the same formation but had Lewi & Harvey up top with Banton in the hole, this way we would have had a better chance of really testing the physical Bury CB's, with football on the ground! Hoof ball under Sheridan has never worked.