Mellor incident | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mellor incident

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pilgrims4life":gpy0xl9o said:
If that's the case, why couldn't the Lino on that side "confirm" that he was clean and ready to come back on instead of leaving it. Was absolutely ridiculous

Whilst the ball is in play the assistant ref has other duties. I very much doubt the Laws would say he should neglect those duties in order to check a player for blood. The time to do that would be once the ball has gone out of play.

A

alex-d

One of the most bizarre incidents seen at Home Park for many a year! It's not as if he could have even completely forgot, such was the animosity from the crowd and the argyle players towards the ref.

C

CornerBoy

We can laugh about it now but as Cheltenham ran down the left relentlessly for five minutes it could have cost us dearly, of course we were 2 up at the time so no worries, imagine if the game was in the balance, Home Park was already raging as it was lol

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The ref is a former professional footballer, playing for Pompey, Yeovil and Gillingham. You don't see many ex-pros becoming refs.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
djg145":1x23hjjb said:
Sorry Lunden Cabbie - the Ref can wave the player on - it is at HIS descretion!

The worst aspect for me is that Mellor did not go off for treatment, the ref ran over, stopped him taking a throw in, waved the physio over. So he used his discretion in getting Mellor off but not in bringing him back?? bizarre.

Don't see why Mellor couldn't trot across, get treated on the pitch, change shirt, drinks break .. thanks ref .. play on??
we get interminable breaks for treatment for imaginary injuries, why not the same for a bleeding injury .. i.e. a 'real' injury? :think:

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Pogleswoody":1a36915n said:
djg145":1a36915n said:

The worst aspect for me is that Mellor did not go off for treatment, the ref ran over, stopped him taking a throw in, waved the physio over. So he used his discretion in getting Mellor off but not in bringing him back?? bizarre.

And that was the daftest part of all. The ref waved our physio on, who duly trotted around the pitch. I saw no-one direct him to do that. Had he run across the pitch, the game may have been held while Mellor was treated.

Mar 23, 2008
Very odd, as others have said I assumed perhaps he needed to check the player back on but when he did wave him back on he didn't do that which makes it even more bizarre. As for kicking it out of play that's rubbish it's the referrees decision.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Frank_Butcher":1u34750u said:
Pogleswoody":1u34750u said:
djg145":1u34750u said:

And that was the daftest part of all. The ref waved our physio on, who duly trotted around the pitch. I saw no-one direct him to do that. Had he run across the pitch, the game may have been held while Mellor was treated.

No the ref did indicate that he should run around!! :furious:

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Paven":2cx3u7up said:
Good ref I thought - bar that very odd incident. Nice to have some collective noise.
Good ref ? what were you watching ? he hardly got a thing correct, I thought he had left his cards in the changing room first half !

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Taking it back a step further it was actually a foul on Mellor, not given, that caused the bloody lip/nose in the first place.
Lino definitely told the ref he was ready to come back on over the mic, unless he was secretly saying lets hope Cheltenham score

Very bizarre and poor refereeing IMHO. Didn't give us much all game TBH

My understanding, which is probably wrong, is that if a player goes off voluntarily, he cannot come back on until there is a break in play.

In which case the ref was right.

If however Mellor was ordered off by the ref for treatment then the ref can, at his discretion, wave the player back on.

I am probably wrong but didnt see Mellor ordered off by ref, stupid law but thems the rules.