Mellor incident | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mellor incident

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
See page 73 here: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footbal ... eutral.pdf - if you can figure it out. Seems to me that the ref should have gone over to inspect the wound once the ball went out of play, before letting him on.

Unless he was already satisfied (i.e. only a shirt change needed), in which case I suppose page 22 applies (Rule 4 - Players Equipment). If a player is ordered to leave the field to correct his equipment (ooh err), it does indeed say that he/she is only allowed to re-enter the field of play when the ball is out of play. However, the key phrase for me on this page is "The player at fault". To say any of this was Mellor's fault is harsh to say the least, and in terms of fairness and common sense, I think most people would agree that the ref got it wrong.

Apr 9, 2011
Chancellor":1w1ch4tn said:
My understanding, which is probably wrong, is that if a player goes off voluntarily, he cannot come back on until there is a break in play.

In which case the ref was right.

If however Mellor was ordered off by the ref for treatment then the ref can, at his discretion, wave the player back on.

I am probably wrong but didnt see Mellor ordered off by ref, stupid law but thems the rules.
It happened right in front of us in Lyndy.Mellor was about to take a throw in, the ref stopped him & ordered him to get cleaned up.Our physio looked as bemused as everyone else by it all. But why all the fuss it happens all the time in rugby, but there again they have rules in place to deal with blood injuries. They have proper rule makers instead of our geriatric body called fifa

P

pilgrim errant

A most interesting thread - evidently the referee was both right and wrong. I suspected that there was some arcane regulation that he was adhering to and it now appears that it was 'change of strip' that was crucial so he was right and the baying crowd were wrong. Having said that, as one who generally supports referees against ignorant criticism and accusations of bias I must say that his was probably the most inept display of rerereeing I can recall. Obvious fouls right under his nose were not given and his poor display should bury the myth that ex-professional footballers would ipso facto make better referees than those coming up through the ranks who had played on the parks. What a great game, though , that even he couldn't spoil! COYG.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreensOnScreen":317vbnyu said:
See page 73 here: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footbal ... eutral.pdf - if you can figure it out. Seems to me that the ref should have gone over to inspect the wound once the ball went out of play, before letting him on.

Unless he was already satisfied (i.e. only a shirt change needed), in which case I suppose page 22 applies (Rule 4 - Players Equipment). If a player is ordered to leave the field to correct his equipment (ooh err), it does indeed say that he/she is only allowed to re-enter the field of play when the ball is out of play. However, the key phrase for me on this page is "The player at fault". To say any of this was Mellor's fault is harsh to say the least, and in terms of fairness and common sense, I think most people would agree that the ref got it wrong.

The phrase "The player at fault" does not refer to who is to blame for the incident, it means whose equipment is not complying. ie. the one with faulty equipment. The player at fault in this instance was Mellor because it was his kit that was no longer conforming to the LotG.

Nov 4, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":164avv6q said:
GreensOnScreen":164avv6q said:

The phrase "The player at fault" does not refer to who is to blame for the incident, it means whose equipment is not complying. ie. the one with faulty equipment. The player at fault in this instance was Mellor because it was his kit that was no longer conforming to the LotG.

Do you insist on being right about everything, even an incident at a game you didn't even attend?

Jun 8, 2014
PAFC94":3czccw1u said:
Lundan Cabbie":3czccw1u said:
GreensOnScreen":3czccw1u said:

Do you insist on being right about everything, even an incident at a game you didn't even attend?

Why even ask?

Oct 24, 2010
GreensOnScreen":1hldrcma said:

I think when it refers to the player at fault it means the player with faulty equipment, in this case a bloodstained shirt. The refferee knows the laws of the game far better than the rest of us and was spot on with this.

Nov 4, 2012
I think referee's should use some common sense and not abide 100% to the written laws in certain circumstances.

It would have been a huge injustice had Cheltenham scored.

When that Rochdale player scored last season and celebrated with the fans and picked up a second yellow, yes by the letter of the law the ref was right, but for god sake use some common sense.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":357h8o7m said:
Us referees/ex-referees have to stick together

Says it all in my book.

Were you a Prefect at school Paul? :lol: