Mellor incident | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mellor incident

PAFC94":369km54y said:
I think referee's should use some common sense and not abide 100% to the written laws in certain circumstances.

It would have been a huge injustice had Cheltenham scored.

When that Rochdale player scored last season and celebrated with the fans and picked up a second yellow, yes by the letter of the law the ref was right, but for god sake use some common sense.

There is very little scope for 'common sense' to be applied as the laws of the game are very prescriptive, and refs are expected to adhere to them. They are monitored on a regular basis and if they are not applying the LofTG correctly they are marked down and will not progress.

In this case, he is not allowed back onto the pitch until the source of the bleeding has been stopped and his shirt checked. It is a law based on common sense really, and any ref that waved a player on without checking is being very irresponsible.

Also, if refs were inconsistent in their reading of the laws and were using their own common sense there would be no end of controversies with managers, pundits and fans all complaining of a lack of consistency.

Although, I was going apoplectic at the ref during this situation, once I understood the law I can understand his decision.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
John_Doe":3fw0uo39 said:
PAFC94":3fw0uo39 said:
I think referee's should use some common sense and not abide 100% to the written laws in certain circumstances.

When that Rochdale player scored last season and celebrated with the fans and picked up a second yellow, yes by the letter of the law the ref was right, but for god sake use some common sense.

There is very little scope for 'common sense' to be applied as the laws of the game are very prescriptive, and refs are expected to adhere to them. They are monitored on a regular basis and if they are not applying the LofTG correctly they are marked down and will not progress.

In this case, he is not allowed back onto the pitch until the source of the bleeding has been stopped and his shirt checked. It is a law based on common sense really, and any ref that waved a player on without checking is being very irresponsible.

Also, if refs were inconsistent in their reading of the laws and were using their own common sense there would be no end of controversies with managers, pundits and fans all complaining of a lack of consistency.

Although, I was going apoplectic at the ref during this situation, once I understood the law I can understand his decision.

Mellor's shirt wasn't checked when he was finally allowed back on.

PL2 3DQ":3as902yw said:
John_Doe":3as902yw said:
PAFC94":3as902yw said:

I know that and the ref was wrong if that wasn't done (I'd like to ask him how he knew the shirt and the bleeding was checked). Thats not my point, I'm answering the 'common sense' point made by PAFC94.

Nov 4, 2012
Common sense should be used by the referee's assessors as well.

In fact they should reward referee's that don't adhere strictly to the rules in certain situations.

The rule should be changed, however it's such a rare occurrence unless it effected a big game it never will be.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PAFC94":2ktalzgg said:

In fact they should reward referee's that don't adhere strictly to the rules in certain situations.

The rule should be changed, however it's such a rare occurrence unless it effected a big game it never will be.

Exactly, the day Man Utd concede with one less man on the field because one of their players is stood on the sidelines desperate to come back on will be the day that the rules are looked at...

PAFC94":th5yg3xw said:

The common sense you refer to though will always leave someone unhappy. Imagine if a ref sent an Argyle player off for receiving a second yellow for celebrating in the crowd one week. Then the following week someone playing against argyle does exactly the same, doesn't get booked and subsequently stays on the field. Whatever the reasons and interpretation by the refs in each occasion it leads to confusion due to a lack of consistency.

The Laws of the game need to be applied consistently imho.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PAFC94":1y7abjyy said:

Surely if you're on a yellow card you don't celebrate with the fans, there's no common sense in what the player did.

Nov 4, 2012
Argy1e":2hfmcwmb said:
PAFC94":2hfmcwmb said:

Surely if you're on a yellow card you don't celebrate with the fans, there's no common sense in what the player did.

It was his hat trick goal as well and he didn't even jump across the hoardings, he just hugged the fans. The player shouldn't have risked it but still the ref should have shown some leniency.

Hourihane at Dorchester is another example of refs not using any common sense.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
PL2 3DQ":2cbxh1c4 said:
John_Doe":2cbxh1c4 said:
PAFC94":2cbxh1c4 said:

Well it wouldn't be! we were wearing stripes! :think:

C

Cobi Budge.

Sort of incident where everyone seemed more furious at the rule than the ref personally...however it was simply ridiculous that the ref only enforced 50% of the rule, Mellor was 100% NOT checked when he returned to play, which completely invalidated why he kept him on the sideline for so long.

I asked Mellor on facebook what it was all about and he said "was a joke. he wanted to check my shirt for blood then never did. was stupid really".

Home Park was furious enough as it was, god knows what it would have been like if Cheltenham got a goal during that period. :?

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Cobi Budge.":175xlxz9 said:
Sort of incident where everyone seemed more furious at the rule than the ref personally...

I don't think that's right at all Cobi. People were furious because they didn't know the rule and thought that the ref was just being obtuse. It was a cracking example of how blame can be wrongly apportioned because of ignorance.

I certainly didn't realise that there was a rule that the ref was enforcing and I suspect I was joined in this by over 6000 others in the ground.

The fact that the ref didn't then make a point of checking Mellor's shirt doesn't alter the fact that he got a load of flak for just doing his job properly. A right followed by a wrong doesn't make the right wrong!

C

Cobi Budge.

Hmm. Perhaps.

It does alter it though, because the ref got the first half of the rule correct, then not the second half, which deemed the first half completely pointless.

The ref did not enforce the rule in full, therefore, he was wrong.

The overall rule, even if applied correctly, seems a very silly one to me as well.