Mellor incident | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mellor incident

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's a Refs job to be shouted at, I certainly joined in as you know Tim. :lol:

I also thought he favoured Cheltenham for most of the 2nd half but I am completely 100% biased and proud of it.

B

Born A Champion 2002

My dad is a pa announcer and he was speaking to the 4th official and he said that the reason he couldn't bring mellor on is because the ball didn't go out of play, but i'm sure that the ball did go out of play. reff wasn't fair though thougt we should have had a few free kicks. don't worry though we should be looking at the positive side that were 4 points of top :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":2x740s9d said:
Hmm. Perhaps.

It does alter it though, because the ref got the first half of the rule correct, then not the second half, which deemed the first half completely pointless.

The ref did not enforce the rule in full, therefore, he was wrong.

The overall rule, even if applied correctly, seems a very silly one to me as well.

It is feasible that the referee could recognise from a distance that Mellor was wearing a new shirt. Someone has said on here that the replacement had no name or number on it's back so that would make it obvious that it had been changed. It is also feasible that the referee assumed, and I would say acceptably so that any new shirt that the club provided for the player was a clean one and therefore felt no need to inspect it up close.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":p8q9bi9e said:
Cobi Budge.":p8q9bi9e said:
Hmm. Perhaps.

It does alter it though, because the ref got the first half of the rule correct, then not the second half, which deemed the first half completely pointless.

The overall rule, even if applied correctly, seems a very silly one to me as well.

It is feasible that the referee could recognise from a distance that Mellor was wearing a new shirt. Someone has said on here that the replacement had no name or number on it's back so that would make it obvious that it had been changed. It is also feasible that the referee assumed, and I would say acceptably so that any new shirt that the club provided for the player was a clean one and therefore felt no need to inspect it up close.

He could see that when Mellor was standing on the line gesticulating to/at him .... so why not wave him on as you've just said his shirt had been 'checked'?? :think:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":7pm8qrdo said:
Lundan Cabbie":7pm8qrdo said:
Cobi Budge.":7pm8qrdo said:
Hmm. Perhaps.

He could see that when Mellor was standing on the line gesticulating to/at him .... so why not wave him on as you've just said his shirt had been 'checked'?? :think:

Because the Law says he can't return until the ball goes out of play after an equipment change. Had he only gone off for treatment he could have been waved back on. I thought we had established that.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":2grs7c9p said:
Pogleswoody":2grs7c9p said:
Lundan Cabbie":2grs7c9p said:
Cobi Budge.":2grs7c9p said:
Hmm. Perhaps.

Because the Law says he can't return until the ball goes out of play after an equipment change. Had he only gone off for treatment he could have been waved back on. I thought we had established that.

Sorry, trying to see if any common sense or some intelligent thought by the ref could influence the autistic-style following of the rules.

this 'decision' had no common sense element and did not make sense ... I thought we had established that! :think:

R

RWW

And yet we had "drop-balls" in the match where a Cheltenham player touched it twice in hitting it back to Luke which is technically against the rules. The ref made a huge error here but got away with it. Although, I do think we shouldn't try to stamp out all officiating errors from football as that human element makes the game so much more interesting to watch!

Jun 11, 2013
Lundan Cabbie":3kpqljuc said:
Cobi Budge.":3kpqljuc said:
Hmm. Perhaps.

Surely he'd want to check that the player is, y'know, no longer bleeding profusely from the face as well though. FWIW, I had a good old shout at the ref whilst knowing I was the one who was more likely to be in the wrong. Football innit?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
RWW":1wp29u0x said:
And yet we had "drop-balls" in the match where a Cheltenham player touched it twice in hitting it back to Luke which is technically against the rules. The ref made a huge error here but got away with it. Although, I do think we shouldn't try to stamp out all officiating errors from football as that human element makes the game so much more interesting to watch!

At a drop ball the ball is in play as soon as it touches the ground. Players can then play the ball as many times as they please.

Lundan Cabbie":syhtplro said:
RWW":syhtplro said:

At a drop ball the ball is in play as soon as it touches the ground. Players can then play the ball as many times as they please.

Correct.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Why not settle for the fact that the referee was correct in his interpretation of the laws of the game, the team were in fact ignorant of said laws and had chances to kick the ball out of play in order for Mellor to return. It would also be better if references to autism were kept from puerile discussions such as this, in the context of the post, quoting "no common sense element" and "did not make sense" may be found deeply offensive by some, rant over.

Oct 7, 2014
after the stupid way the ref dealt with mellor last week I decided to email the football league asking for clarification of the laws on this matter , below I have cut and paste their reply (names removed) mods I hope this is ok ?

Thank you for your email, we note your comments.

As you may be aware we aren’t usually able to comment on specific incidents or bookings in each Football League fixture, although we can advise that the performances of all officials are constantly monitored by way of club and assessor reports, match videos or DVD and, at some grounds, Prozone statistics. Matches are also analysed by the Referees' Manager, a referees’ coach and the referee and, despite the perception of some, match officials are most accountable for their performance.

With that in mind, having spoken to the Referee’s Manager, we can confirm that the referee had instructed the Plymouth player, Mellor, to leave the pitch following a collision with another player. Mellor was being treated at the opposite side of the pitch to where the fourth official is positioned (dugout side), subsequently meaning that there was nobody to check his shirt/equipment for blood etc and check that the player was able to return to the field of play. Under the Laws of the Game, a player must not return to the field until the ball has gone out of play. The Referee’s Manager has confirmed that in this particular game, the ball did not go out of play for around 3 to 4 minutes after the accident. With no fourth official to verify if the player could re-join the field of play at an earlier time, the referee therefore applied the Laws of the Game correctly in relation to this incident.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

B

Benji1

What on earth possessed you to write to the FL to ask for clarification of this obvious requirement.

You said the ref was stupid, I think you have made yourself look stupid for asking for this.

This requirement has been in operation for many a year., why didn't Mellor run around to where the 4th official is positioned, and get checked there, as the 4th official can do it.

Why castigate a ref, for doing exactly what he is supposed to do, unbelievable

Oct 7, 2014
Benji1":1yotuuar said:
What on earth possessed you to write to the FL to ask for clarification of this obvious requirement.

You said the ref was stupid, I think you have made yourself look stupid for asking for this.

This requirement has been in operation for many a year., why didn't Mellor run around to where the 4th official is positioned, and get checked there, as the 4th official can do it.

Why castigate a ref, for doing exactly what he is supposed to do, unbelievable

Hi Benji , thankyou for your kind response ,
to answer your query , firstly I in no way castigated the ref nor did I call him stupid , perhaps if I had I might not have received such a prompt and informative reply from the football league to my ENQUIRY .
what possessed me was the fact that at the time I like many others (obvious by the noise) was confused as to which laws the referee was interpreting , I apologise if your intricate knowledge of the laws of the game made this thread an irritation to you but I thought some might find the fact that the football league replied and the contents of the reply interesting .
I apologise once again if this has upset you in any way .