More Talent Going to Southampton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

More Talent Going to Southampton

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Didn't a 12 year old Lallana just make Bournemouth about 8 million quid. How much would they have received under today's EPPP rules? The EPPP is set up to allow Premier League clubs to hoard all the half decent talent on the cheap - I cannot see this being beneficial for the majority of these academy players. Yeovil Town are one of a few clubs to close their academies due the fact that running the academy is at a greater cost than the EPPP now allows them to make. If they had kept it running they would effectively be paying for Premier League clubs to have the best young talent. Closed academies and an underfunded football league, how does that help English football in any way?

G

Greenskin

Is there some arcane EU ruling which precludes add ons being included when a promising player is poached by a premier league club?

May 22, 2006
The Premier League gets loads of money from TV.
Clubs use that TV money to take advantage of the smaller clubs.
The smaller clubs close down their academies because they're no longer financially viable.
The Prem shrugs its shoulders and goes abroad for talent.

Having a Premiership as strong as ours only benefits those at the very top. We were all sold a trickle-down model where the increased wealth eventually finds its way down and enriches everyone, but as with all trickle-down models, it's a con; a non-existent carrot on an imaginary stick used to keep the disadvantaged on board and supportive of this divisive and unfair concept.

But instead of acting like poor, oppressed little sheep there is something we can do about it. Without the TV money, the bigger clubs have less power. £50 a month to Sky or £10 to the Argyle Foundation and £40 in your back pocket? It genuinely amazes me that anyone would choose the former, given the pretty obvious inequality and unfairness that the former creates.

Sorry to go all Russell Brand, but if you're part of the system then you're part of the problem.

Cancel Sky, cancel BT and support YOUR team.

Feb 8, 2005
Lundan Cabbie":3d0am5wq said:
ming the merciless":3d0am5wq said:
The big clubs make tons of money from every conceivable aspect of their operations. Now they have found a way of avoiding paying market value for youngsters. They don't need any more help. They already get everything in their favour. In your view LC, is not being out of pocket that all clubs like Argyle can hope for from Youth development. I don't think that's right or fair. I would like to see Lower ranked clubs tell the PL to stick the EPPP where the sun don't shine, Fund their own academies and sell the Jack Stephens, Lloyd Jones players in something remotely similar to a open market. The tribunal system was pretty bad. What's wrong with paying the going rate. It would only need one great prospect now and again to cover the money the PL gives to smaller academies.

Should the going rate for a 14 year old be considerably more than £30,000 then?

Wrong question LC.

Should the Premiership have the right to steal under 18's from another League Club? should have been the question.

And it is stealing, as the lower league club has no say in the matter. How do you put a fixed sum on a youngster? when that youngster may become Premiership standard, for surely that is what the Premiership Club is looking for, is it not?

Why should under 18's be treated any differently from over 18's? What is wrong with the transfer system that we need to change it for under 18's? If a boy is talented enough for a Premiership Club to be interested in him, then let the free market dictate the transfer fee for him.

The Premiership Clubs are awash with money and can take a punt on as many youngsters as they want, without poaching the best that other Clubs have found and nurtured for themselves.

This system will make the Premiership Clubs lazy, knowing that they can poach talent when it rises to the top at a later stage, without having to take any risks themselves.

What happens when two Premiership Clubs go for the same lad? No benefit for the lower league Club is there? They receive the same amount whatever the outcome.

No, the system stinks, and it makes my blood boil. Greg Dyke hasn't got a clue, as can be seen from his suggestions so far, and the football league are no better. No balls either of them. Stand up to the Premiership, not cow tow to them.

Oct 5, 2013
Sounds like we need GOOD players from the Academy - so that they can break into our first-team and then almost inevitably be sold - but not TOO GOOD, otherwise they just get taken away.
What a mad system the FL have set up.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
These children are not contracted to Argyle. The club doesn't "own" them. They simply attend football classes ran by Plymouth Argyle FC. They are free to walk away and go elsewhere if they (or more likely, their parents) wish to. The EPPP ensures that clubs are compensated for any development input if a child decides to go elsewhere.

G

Greenskin

Lundan Cabbie":talz7d4g said:
These children are not contracted to Argyle. The club doesn't "own" them. They simply attend football classes ran by Plymouth Argyle FC. They are free to walk away and go elsewhere if they (or more likely, their parents) wish to. The EPPP ensures that clubs are compensated for any development input if a child decides to go elsewhere.

So patronising,so premiership,so myopic.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lundan Cabbie":x6gk3opp said:

In which case, something contractual needs to be put into place for these types of transfers to stop this happening.

Maybe the selling club can be compensated by a drip-fed yearly income from the buying club, based on the players salary until he turns 30.
(also applying to any clubs who they might transfer to during their career).

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Greenskin":13od4p7n said:
Lundan Cabbie":13od4p7n said:

So patronising,so premiership,so myopic.

But so true.

I'm not stating all this in order to patronise. I am simply pointing out the realities. There are lots of suggestions on here as to how the system should work to favour smaller academies but they are mostly based on frustration.

Oct 24, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":2y3ibu8f said:
jimsing":2y3ibu8f said:
It has been reported in the Sunday Independant that Southampton have completed the signing of defender Oliver GARDNER, who has been under Argyle since he was 12 yrs of age. Southampton first expressed an interest in him when he played in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup in July last year.

This is the third talented youngster to have been taken from us by them. What the hell is the point in us helping to fund our youngsters to go to play in the Milk Cup each year, if the best is going to be snaffled by the big boys?

We must climb the leagues and return to our rightful position, so that we have half a chance of holding on to our talented youngsters, that are found and progressed by our outstanding coaching staff.

What is the point in funding these boys, only to lose them to the mighty Southampton (or whoever else comes in for them). I wouldn't mind if we were rightfully compensated for our efforts, but the big boys are getting a bargain for peanuts, and our coaching talent is being wasted on boys who go elsewhere.

I don't blame the boys for going to a Premiership Club.

I blame the Football League for caving in to the Premiership and not getting a better deal for their League Clubs. It will only get worse, and the Clubs in the Football League will be the losers in the end.

This isn't exactly breaking news. In the summer Darren Gough mentioned on TalkSport that Southampton had taken yet another Argyle youngster (Olly Gardner) at the time when the Saints were losing older players to bigger clubs themselves.

Gardner's father Lee was a professional footballer himself so I am sure he understands what is a good move for his son and what isn't.

As for compensation to Argyle, the EPPP tables are not there to provide Argyle with what they MAY have got for him in years to come IF he had gone on and made the grade but it is compensation for what they have contributed to his progresss from ages 9-14. The EPPP formula brings in just over £30,000 for Gardner which I am sure does not leave Argyle out of pocket.
I'm not sure you are right about what is best for the kids, I would have thought playing league football at seventeen or eighteen is a lot better for them than the limited opportunities they would get in the Premier League. You may be right ,though. But in that case what is the point of any lower league club wasting their money on a youth policy, they would be far better putting what they spend on youth development into their playing budget.

Apr 4, 2004
Lundan Cabbie":17ok8ets said:
I think you will find that the boys are contracted to the club. That's not unique to our club. All academy boys sign contracts.

Aug 15, 2008
crikey if we keep them together for 3 or 4 years we could actually have something!! I did not realise how young our squad are - great news.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
esmer":3ioykm7z said:
Lundan Cabbie":3ioykm7z said:
jimsing":3ioykm7z said:
It has been reported in the Sunday Independant that Southampton have completed the signing of defender Oliver GARDNER, who has been under Argyle since he was 12 yrs of age. Southampton first expressed an interest in him when he played in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup in July last year.

This is the third talented youngster to have been taken from us by them. What the hell is the point in us helping to fund our youngsters to go to play in the Milk Cup each year, if the best is going to be snaffled by the big boys?

We must climb the leagues and return to our rightful position, so that we have half a chance of holding on to our talented youngsters, that are found and progressed by our outstanding coaching staff.

What is the point in funding these boys, only to lose them to the mighty Southampton (or whoever else comes in for them). I wouldn't mind if we were rightfully compensated for our efforts, but the big boys are getting a bargain for peanuts, and our coaching talent is being wasted on boys who go elsewhere.

I blame the Football League for caving in to the Premiership and not getting a better deal for their League Clubs. It will only get worse, and the Clubs in the Football League will be the losers in the end.

This isn't exactly breaking news. In the summer Darren Gough mentioned on TalkSport that Southampton had taken yet another Argyle youngster (Olly Gardner) at the time when the Saints were losing older players to bigger clubs themselves.

Gardner's father Lee was a professional footballer himself so I am sure he understands what is a good move for his son and what isn't.

As for compensation to Argyle, the EPPP tables are not there to provide Argyle with what they MAY have got for him in years to come IF he had gone on and made the grade but it is compensation for what they have contributed to his progresss from ages 9-14. The EPPP formula brings in just over £30,000 for Gardner which I am sure does not leave Argyle out of pocket.
I'm not sure you are right about what is best for the kids, I would have thought playing league football at seventeen or eighteen is a lot better for them than the limited opportunities they would get in the Premier League. You may be right ,though. But in that case what is the point of any lower league club wasting their money on a youth policy, they would be far better putting what they spend on youth development into their playing budget.

This lad is 14 though. If he was 17 or 18 then he would be contracted and the big boys would have to offer a normal transfer fee negotiated and agreed by both sides.

It should be remembered that the EPPP pay-outs don't end with the £30,000 compensation for the development of the lad from ages 9-14. If he grows up to make 100 Premier League appearances for the Saints, Argyle will benefit to the tune of a further £1.3 million.

Feb 8, 2005
Lundan Cabbie":s1wqoj8q said:
esmer":s1wqoj8q said:
Lundan Cabbie":s1wqoj8q said:
jimsing":s1wqoj8q said:

This lad is 14 though. If he was 17 or 18 then he would be contracted and the big boys would have to offer a normal transfer fee negotiated and agreed by both sides.

It should be remembered that the EPPP pay-outs don't end with the £30,000 compensation for the development of the lad from ages 9-14. If he grows up to make 100 Premier League appearances for the Saints, Argyle will benefit to the tune of a further £1.3 million.

Like that will happen! Funny how he will be stuck on 99 before his new Club cashes in with a transfer to another Club, instead of paying a million quid to us!!!!

But what is the point of trying to find local talent?

If the lad shows too good progress, then he will be gone to any old Premiership/Championship Club, and the majority of kids won't make it to Argyle's first team anyway.

Especially now, as we find ourselves going up the leagues (I wish) and will have to produce better quality kids for the first team as we go along. Remember how that happened the last time that we climbed the leagues?

No. The Premiership want it all. They are greedy and will take take take with no thought for anyone else.

It is about time that Greg Dyke realised this and cut them down to size, for the good of English football.