More talent leaving Argyle? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

More talent leaving Argyle?

C

Cult Of Personality

Well the lad is choosing one of the best places to go as a young player to learn his trade just bloody shame that we dont have something as good as that.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Mike Greening":pe0rvnzu said:
Lundan Cabbie":pe0rvnzu said:
ealinggreen":pe0rvnzu said:
With these rules fully implimented,Premier league clubs can just hoover up youngsters from anywhere and will.This of course will get worse.Clubs that educated and brought through young talent like Crewe will be no more.Not sure what the youth set up costs, but there must be a financial case for not having one.It appears Southampton see us as a feeder club and if they are going to take them early,what is the point in us having a youth set up.It would be much more cost effective picking up Westcountry rejects from Premier clubs.I believe quite a few clubs have already dispensed with there youth teams.I appreciate this would be very sad,but we are in the financial mire and developing youth may no longer finance anything.

Finders Keepers wouldn't be right either. Kids must be allowed the best opportunity of fulfilling their potential and sadly that may mean them moving to a larger and better resourced academy.

But the renurmation should be adequate :scarf:

Remuneration is relative to resourses though. That £34k could have been £130,000 if Argyle had a higher acadamy category.

Nov 2, 2004
Mike Greening":nbmejz7p said:
Lundan Cabbie":nbmejz7p said:
ealinggreen":nbmejz7p said:
With these rules fully implimented,Premier league clubs can just hoover up youngsters from anywhere and will.This of course will get worse.Clubs that educated and brought through young talent like Crewe will be no more.Not sure what the youth set up costs, but there must be a financial case for not having one.It appears Southampton see us as a feeder club and if they are going to take them early,what is the point in us having a youth set up.It would be much more cost effective picking up Westcountry rejects from Premier clubs.I believe quite a few clubs have already dispensed with there youth teams.I appreciate this would be very sad,but we are in the financial mire and developing youth may no longer finance anything.

Finders Keepers wouldn't be right either. Kids must be allowed the best opportunity of fulfilling their potential and sadly that may mean them moving to a larger and better resourced academy.

But the renurmation should be adequate :scarf:

Finders keepers is not really the point,you may be correct.The point I am making,is the financial one for Argyle.In the long run do we need a youth acadamy,under the old system,the answer was yes.Under the new one it may be no.In fact without any westcountry acadamies,I imagine a Premier league club would probably appeal the current system and open a Westcountry arm of there own.This may suit us better,we could just pick the best of the lads who dont make it,this would give us the choice of 99.9 per cent at an age when we are not wasting money.Manchester Utd are already involved at Ivybridge,I can only assume that we will no longer get the best talent from there and that has provided a regular stream.It would of course all be different if we reached the Championship,that may be quicker achieved without a youth set up.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
ealinggreen":14i4mzvy said:

I think Yeovil were one of a few to actually close their youth academies after EPPP was introduced as it made their academies rather redundant. Spending a load of money developing footballers for other teams to knick on the cheap...

Jan 16, 2005
There has to be a case of dispensing with reserves and youth teams as it seems like we get very little out of it and Premier league sides are not interested in any community benefits so they probably wouldn't take up the slack. Would cut the wage bill a lot. How many players have actually been discovered by Argyle and gone on to be full time professionals?

Jul 7, 2005
Lundan Cabbie":2oho09gi said:
If you are a promising 14 year old, Southampton's Acadamy isn't a bad choice. They do have a very good track record.

After the summer Southampton's just had, I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight into their first team.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Greenheart":1ru7we2z said:
Lundan Cabbie":1ru7we2z said:
If you are a promising 14 year old, Southampton's Acadamy isn't a bad choice. They do have a very good track record.

After the summer Southampton's just had, I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight into their first team.

Lovren wants to head Liverpool way too now.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
Lundan Cabbie":2c8drw7r said:
Greenheart":2c8drw7r said:
Lundan Cabbie":2c8drw7r said:

Rejected a £18m bid. Apparently Southampton will reject anything under £25m

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
tagz":3pp6eohu said:
Lundan Cabbie":3pp6eohu said:
Greenheart":3pp6eohu said:
Lundan Cabbie":3pp6eohu said:

Rejected a £18m bid. Apparently Southampton will reject anything under £25m

Well it's not as if they need the money

Nov 12, 2003
Would it be feasible for Argyle to pull out of the youth academy system and set up their own local version ? It may not be as well funded, but at least the club get to keep local talent. I wonder what the point is of having a youth system at the moment. Kevin Hodges may as well go and work for Southampton. Serious question though.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
lunarjetman":3jbry9tm said:
Would it be feasible for Argyle to pull out of the youth academy system and set up their own local version ? It may not be as well funded, but at least the club get to keep local talent. I wonder what the point is of having a youth system at the moment. Kevin Hodges may as well go and work for Southampton. Serious question though.
As long as we're in the football league, we're subject to the rules of EPPP. No matter what way we set up our academy.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenSam":xf9c40ga said:
lunarjetman":xf9c40ga said:
As long as we're in the football league, we're subject to the rules of EPPP. No matter what way we set up our academy.

The Football League voted 45-22 and 5 abstentions in favour of EPPP.

You may asked why but you must remember that the Premier League clubs said that if the proposals were not acceptable then the money that they inject into youth football may have to be reconsidered. A bit like having the Football League's arm up its back.

If Argyle were to withdraw from the scheme I guess they would lose that income. It may be small in comparison to higher divisions but in income terms, pretty vital to Argyle.