More talent leaving Argyle? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

More talent leaving Argyle?

Apr 15, 2008
London
It's up to the lad where he plays - he's only 14. And at that age that should be free agents able to go anywhere they like, not traded between clubs.

Jan 27, 2012
Something is clearly very wrong with the system though. Its simply not fair that Argyle should develop talent only for the likes of Southampton to poach our best youngsters up to the age of 21 with very little in the way of compensation, not even sell on clauses. The Premier League have taken over everything and there will eventually be a backlash I think- they are even ruining the England team's chances in the World Cup due to all the foreign players coming in.

Its all very well saying its part of the Football League rules to comply wit this system, but who made up these rules and can't the league re-negotiate or withdraw ? Such a movement needs to start somewhere, so why can't Argyle set the wheels in motion. Otherwise, I see our club being permanently handicapped and confined to the lowest divisions of football by Greg Dyke and his greedy friends.

Its not a level playing field any more and eventually it will put the fans off league football, and possibly reduce the attraction of the beloved Premiership.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Surely, good academies like Southampton's will help England's future chances. I'm not sure what any of that has to do with foreign players coming in.

C

Cobi Budge.

crownhillpilgrim":1w30yfto said:
Surely, good academies like Southampton's will help England's future chances. I'm not sure what any of that has to do with foreign players coming in.

Because it means young English players rarely get a shot at first team PL action because of already 'senior' (25+) foreign players dominating positions.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Cobi Budge.":2pb1t1vm said:
crownhillpilgrim":2pb1t1vm said:

Because it means young English players rarely get a shot at first team PL action because of already 'senior' (25+) foreign players dominating positions.

If we had more coaches of a higher standard and could subsequently produce a greater standard of player then they'd force their way into a team ahead of foreigners. Foreign players may dominate the Premier League, but that's only because the home grown talent isn't good enough. There's a cultural issue too, that young English players would rather resign themselves to the lower divisions of the English game rather than searching for a higher standard of professional football abroad. Foreigners in English football aren't the issue, the lack of English footballers playing abroad is - or at least it speaks volumes of the lack of quality players we produce.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lundan Cabbie":3farshk8 said:
Greenheart":3farshk8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3farshk8 said:
If you are a promising 14 year old, Southampton's Acadamy isn't a bad choice. They do have a very good track record.

After the summer Southampton's just had, I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight into their first team.

Lovren wants to head Liverpool way too now.
There was a quote in the local paper "Lovren said 'My head is already with Liverpool' ". Pity that his contract is in Southampton.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
memory man":3c5jgmo7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3c5jgmo7 said:
Greenheart":3c5jgmo7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3c5jgmo7 said:
If you are a promising 14 year old, Southampton's Acadamy isn't a bad choice. They do have a very good track record.

After the summer Southampton's just had, I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight into their first team.

Lovren wants to head Liverpool way too now.
There was a quote in the local paper "Lovren said 'My head is already with Liverpool' ". Pity that his contract is in Southampton.

Tsk!! He's got some neck hasn't he?!?! :coat:

E

Ed_Blackburn

Someone was telling me that the loophole is to have an academy separate from the Football Club. There are plenty of private academies. It would have to be 100% funded though, not Premier League hand-me-downs.

The answer, is of course to upgrade our own academy. Not that we can afford it mind.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't think any L1 or L2 club have got that level of Academy.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Cobi Budge.":138w38k1 said:
crownhillpilgrim":138w38k1 said:

But that has nothing to do with lower league youngsters being signed up to larger clubs academies.

Dec 15, 2012
GED Roddy, head of Youth at The Premier League, was my former boss at Bath Uni.

He is a Man City fan, he is only interested I elite level sport now.

When he was Director of Sport at Bath Uni, he quickly got rid of 'sport for all', which the wonderful Tom Hudson had championed when he was DoS.

He is very close to Les Reed at Southampton, who is very keen to see the EPPP work.