'NEVER AGAIN' - Now **UPDATED ** (merged) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'NEVER AGAIN' - Now **UPDATED ** (merged)

Do you agree with the statement?

• Yes

Votes: 86 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 140 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 8.5%

• Total voters
Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
If I was in James Brent's shoes I would want to buy the freehold of the ground. As a businessman it gives you an appreciating asset and choices. You can invest in that asset and increase its value with a view to a future sale, you can use it as security against lending (hope he doesn't!), you could build on the land and use some of the profits to build us a sparkly new stadium--and on a more fundamental level you are not answerable to a landlord.Also if someone wanted to buy the club or JB wanted to sell the club it's a much more attractive proposition with a tangible asset thrown into the mix. I don't think that JB has a particular strategy beyond putting himself in the best possible position to take advantage of a commercial opportunity.

What I hope is that he has developed sufficient 'emotion' for the club over the last few years to do what is best both for Argyle and himself as a businessman. The statement is, I think, coming from the right place given the history of the club, but I do think it is unrealistic to expect JB to act in an entirely altruistic manner.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Chancellor":14ho1kmp said:
Why is this now a poll?

Because the statement has quite visibly divided the Pasoti population to the tune of some very interesting and insightful responses. Maybe you could add to the actual debate yourself rather than attempt to deflect onto Pasoti as you have tried to do on both statement threads.

You may agree with the statement but clearly not everybody else does; it is certainly interesting to put some numbers to it when people are asking whether the AFT signatories would have the backing of those they represent if this was an AFT initiative.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
So 40% say no, never again. 54% say yes, absolutely again. 6% are unsure.

What an utterly bizarre fan base we have. One that would happily risk (even if unlikely) the possibility of losing the club again, just to not step on the toes of the businessmen currently in the driving seat of the club.

Any football club owner is going to be a temporary custodian of the club, we as fans and the club will continue on after they have gone, just as we did before them. Hopefully.

I still remain unsure as to why the club and the AFT are at odds with regards to the ACV status taken out against the ground? The status excludes existing agreements and so the option to purchase the ground can still be actioned without any challenge.

The club's statement has advised us that it is the club that will own the ground, and not James Brent. Green Rhino has made a point around the greater complexities of that statement, but trusting it to be a simple case of the ground being owned by the club why then would the board of the club feel aggrieved of the ACV? Unless intentions were to transfer ownership from "the club" to another company?

I don't not believe that this board necessarily has ill intentions, but there has been a lack of communication with the concerned members of the fanbase as to what the strategy is with regards to purchasing the ground. There is so much unknown and within that unknown there will naturally be a level of distrust from some. It allows rumours to fester and provides them with a platform of legitimacy, regardless of the truth.

Sam - Plymouth Argyle fan - just another biiiig ego

Now, what formation are we playing today?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
SwimWithTheTide":28y4yw5b said:
I don't not believe that this board necessarily has ill intentions, but there has been a lack of communication with the concerned members of the fanbase as to what the strategy is with regards to purchasing the ground. There is so much unknown and within that unknown there will naturally be a level of distrust from some. It allows rumours to fester and provides them with a platform of legitimacy, regardless of the truth.

This, with bells on.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
LG":2na0gqf1 said:
Chancellor":2na0gqf1 said:
Why is this now a poll?
An interesting question indeed.
To guage opinion?
Just like the man of the match polls.
Or something else?

What do you mean by that? You won't answer because you never do, it doesn't suit your style to back up your claims, just imply that the mods are up to something shady and let the others pick up on it. So come on, tell us straight what you're implying here? No you won't because you're a troll who likes to look important, but have nothing of substance to say.

You don't talk about Argyle on here, you just like to imply that we're up to no good. I've had enough of your bollox and would have you banned but lucky for you we have a democratic process for that kind of stuff and for some reason that I cannot understand, other mods are happy for you to stay.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Private ownership allows for great potential, whilst public ownership allows for greater security, so how about a middle ground?

Sell the pitch to Argyle fans.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
GreenThing":1r6ogcaw said:
LG":1r6ogcaw said:
Chancellor":1r6ogcaw said:
Why is this now a poll?
An interesting question indeed.
To guage opinion?
Just like the man of the match polls.
Or something else?

What do you mean by that? You won't answer because you never do, it doesn't suit your style to back up your claims, just imply that the mods are up to something shady and let the others pick up on it. So come on, tell us straight what you're implying here? No you won't because you're a troll who likes to look important, but have nothing of substance to say.

You don't talk about Argyle on here, you just like to imply that we're up to no good. I've had enough of your bollox and would have you banned but lucky for you we have a democratic process for that kind of stuff and for some reason that I cannot understand, other mods are happy for you to stay.

Bit harsh--never read a spiteful post from LG--ban yourself immediately!

Jun 8, 2014
SwimWithTheTide":3klucow5 said:

What an utterly bizarre fan base we have. One that would happily risk (even if unlikely) the possibility of losing the club again, just to not step on the toes of the businessmen currently in the driving seat of the club.

Any football club owner is going to be a temporary custodian of the club, we as fans and the club will continue on after they have gone, just as we did before them. Hopefully.

I still remain unsure as to why the club and the AFT are at odds with regards to the ACV status taken out against the ground? The status excludes existing agreements and so the option to purchase the ground can still be actioned without any challenge.

The club's statement has advised us that it is the club that will own the ground, and not James Brent. Green Rhino has made a point around the greater complexities of that statement, but trusting it to be a simple case of the ground being owned by the club why then would the board of the club feel aggrieved of the ACV? Unless intentions were to transfer ownership from "the club" to another company?

Great post.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
How about letting JB and the Directors doing what is best for the club as they have always done since they saved us from the likes of guiltyfoil. I don't believe the fans trust have a mandate to speak on behalf of the supporters as a whole as their membership is only a fraction of the Argyle supporters world-wide. Don't forget that some of the signatures were party to the crash that led to administration. :scarf:

D

Damon.Lenszner

Mike Greening":1g5swfpt said:
How about letting JB and the Directors doing what is best for the club as they have always done since they saved us from the likes of guiltyfoil. I don't believe the fans trust have a mandate to speak on behalf of the supporters as a whole as their membership is only a fraction of the Argyle supporters world-wide. Don't forget that some of the signatures were party to the crash that led to administration. :scarf:

Really? Which ones?

jerryatricjanner

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Josh Pope":643ce1z9 said:
SwimWithTheTide":643ce1z9 said:

Great post.
The final pargraph I fully agree with. It is the total lack of communication from the club which goes totally agaibst what was promised that has caused all the politics and dick measuring of the last 48 hours.Let's hope 3 points this afternoon and a place in the top 6 can focus people on the football.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Funnily enough the results of this straw poll so far mirrors the AFT survey result where a slight majority of fans wanted the cub to buy the freehold.