New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation

Feb 25, 2008
Crownhill
For ice hockey it needs to be of international size. The Link Centre in Swindon, where I used to live, has elevated seating on one side with standing room around the rink perimeter. The capacity is 2500. This is what we need but plans don't indicate the ground floor rink side capacity.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
For ice hockey it needs to be of international size

Not true there are 2 rink sizes there is the

Intenational size 61.0 metres (200 ft) × 30.0 metres (98.4 ft) with a corner radius of 8.5 metres (28 ft)

and there is the North American size

200 feet (61 m) × 85 feet (26 m) with a corner radius of 28 feet (8.5 m

The difference is the the International size is 13.4 ft wider than the N. American

T

The Grumpy Loyal

dennis the menace":2ldj5cmu said:
For ice hockey it needs to be of international size. The Link Centre in Swindon, where I used to live, has elevated seating on one side with standing room around the rink perimeter. The capacity is 2500. This is what we need but plans don't indicate the ground floor rink side capacity.

From the plans, 1,050 seats is the capacity. As others have said, it's a half-arsed plan. Pointless for recreational skating, yet not big enough to facilitate what would be a superb option in a National League Ice Hockey team.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
jerryatricjanner":1ezwmvw5 said:
A genuine question knowing nothing at all about ice rinks. If the capacity isn't large enough for competitive ice hockey nor for the Raiders to adapt for competitive basketball then what is the purpose of the 1,000 seats compared to none at The Pavilions?

Both Edinburgh Capitals and Dundee Stars had lower than a 1,000 average attendance in the EIHL last season, though obviously their rinks have bigger capacity so it is an interesting question, very few EIHL ever achieve sell out crowds so I would hope that the smaller capacity wouldn't be deemed as an issue. Quite often when Flyers play away at Dundee and Edinburgh the away fans will outnumber the home fans as well.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
The Grumpy Loyal":2ejtq0w2 said:
dennis the menace":2ejtq0w2 said:

From the plans, 1,050 seats is the capacity. As others have said, it's a half-arsed plan. Pointless for recreational skating, yet not big enough to facilitate what would be a superb option in a National League Ice Hockey team.

See my above post. I do not think 1,050 would be a hindrance to a Plymouth based EIHL team, the main issue would be travel as it would cost the Scottish clubs a fortune to travel down at least twice in a sesason discounting play off matches.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Argyle-sy":3qv53mlw said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3qv53mlw said:
dennis the menace":3qv53mlw said:

See my above post. I do not think 1,050 would be a hindrance to a Plymouth based EIHL team, the main issue would be travel as it would cost the Scottish clubs a fortune to travel down at least twice in a sesason discounting play off matches.
It's not just that though. The opportunity exists to build something that could facilitate Ice Hockey as well as give Raiders a purpose built home.

Build something that gives genuine potential for PAFC to benefit from with regard to the 50% profit share.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
The Grumpy Loyal":39ybkopm said:
Argyle-sy":39ybkopm said:
The Grumpy Loyal":39ybkopm said:
dennis the menace":39ybkopm said:

It's not just that though. The opportunity exists to build something that could facilitate Ice Hockey as well as give Raiders a purpose built home.

Build something that gives genuine potential for PAFC to benefit from with regard to the 50% profit share.

It does indeed Grumpy Loyal, but I think we need to be realistic and put things into context here. The vast majority of people from Plymouth don't get off their asses to watch their well established football team, so do you really think an EIHL franchise in Plymouth would attract big crowds ?. If Plymouth were to ever have an EIHL team then I do not see them getting crowds of over 1,000(given that Plymouth and Devon are not a hotbed for ice hockey and ice hockey fans), I think a capacity of 1,050 would be more than adequate. As I stated in my previous post, I do not see the main problem with an EIHL franchise in Plymouth being the capacity, I can guarantee you that all 4 Scottish clubs would vote against acceptance because of the extra travel costs, which then means you would have to count on the other 8 teams voting for acceptance and that is by no means a "gimme", but again I cannot see this happening, I don't think Belfast would vote yes and I don't think some of the northern teams like Manchester Storm would vote yes either so it could all be totally hypothetical. What I could see happening at One point is a Plymouth franchise joining the English Premier Ice Hockey League which is clearly an English only league.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
I think what a lot of people also fail to understand is that you cannot just join the EIHL, you have to be invited to join by the league, and as stated above even that is a guarantee because the other EIHL league clubs would have to vote to accept or not.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The Grumpy Loyal":29a8478a said:
Argyle-sy":29a8478a said:
The Grumpy Loyal":29a8478a said:
dennis the menace":29a8478a said:

Remind me, why would Argyle be getting 50% of the profits?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Pogleswoody":tgw0jd3w said:
Can you have a hotbed for ice hockey?? :think:

You can actually. Scotland has 4 teams, 4 within a short journey in Coventry, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester, You would be surprised at some the attendances at these games as well. My team average over 2000, but its not unusual to see sell outs of 3100+(both of these figures are higher than what the local football team, Raith Rovers attract by the way) so yes their certainly are hotbeds for ice hockey in the UK.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
I would add that there is One more thing in Plymouths favour RE having an EIHL franchise. It is looking like quite a strong possibility that Aberdeen will be getting an EIHL franchise at some point of the future, so if the league are willing to invite them then it is not beyond the realms of possiblity that a Plymouth based team could be invited to join as well.

Jul 13, 2006
If a diddy place like Chelmsford could support an ice hockey team i'm pretty sure a city the size of Plymouth and the surrounding area could.
Mind you I don't know how costly these ventures are and you do hear of teams going bust.

Feb 8, 2005
The Grumpy Loyal":3cxsi98m said:
Argyle-sy":3cxsi98m said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3cxsi98m said:
dennis the menace":3cxsi98m said:

You like spending other people's money, Grumpy, don't you, and where did you get the 50 per cent figure from?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
foreigner":35jwhs6k said:
If a diddy place like Chelmsford could support an ice hockey team i'm pretty sure a city the size of Plymouth and the surrounding area could.
Mind you I don't know how costly these ventures are and you do hear of teams going bust.

You would be surprised how many teams there are throughout the English leagues, even places like Basingstoke and Swindon beinf examples