On the bright side... (local derbies) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

On the bright side... (local derbies)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
loyal1970":8yj7piy8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":8yj7piy8 said:
GreenArmy1984":8yj7piy8 said:
Looking Forward to local derbies Again

Away Day at Yeovil Vs Paul Sturrock will be good

Plus Exeter Home & Away and of course Bristol Rovers

6 local derbies to look forward to ....

Green Army :scarf:

Bristol Rovers is pushing this "local" derby thing. They are actually closer to AFC Wimbledon than Home Park.
ok then lundan a westcountry derby.

Ah yeah, and then there's is the south of England derby against Southend if they fail to go up.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":2apvikx3 said:
Lundan, it's all relative. When you are from Plymouth, Bristol is local never mind where other places are in relation to Bristol.

The sad part for an older fan is that people can get excited about fixtures against Yeovil and Exeter. I used to get a bit excited about games against Pompey, Southampton, Man City, Wolves, even Bristol City but good grief, Exeter and Yeovil for years were 2 or 3 divisions below us or occasionally 1 or 2.

A derby surely had to be a derby for both sides, not just because the team are closer than most others. Rivalries are different though but a game against a rival doesn't become a derby.

Apr 15, 2008
London
xmastree":19voisde said:
Can't believe that people are excited at the prospect of playing Yeovil next season. Literally a small town in Somerset who, until fairly recently, were a non-league club. So let's make it even more exciting by pretending it's a derby, which it isn't.

Great though our fans are in so many ways, this lack of aspiration and near-glorification of mediocrity is poor. We have to believe that we should be doing better.

Well, it's better than beating yourself up over the fact we're not in the Championship any more. We'd all rather be playing Sheffield Weds and Wolves, but it's not going to happen (for a year at least), so why not look forward to the silver lining of some fixtures that aren't Hartlepool.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
oddball":39jasx5d said:
Exeter, Yeovil,Bristol Rovers,Portsmouth....... same old faces,yet again... Can't we have some exciting northern grounds just for a change.

Obviously I agree - I'm pretty bored with Morecambe and Accrington. York's a right pain to park in as well and I've lost Tranmere, Burton and Bury (my closest ground) to other divisions. At least I'll save some cash, unlike if we'd got to League 1. Every cloud...

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
The only 'derby' of any relevance to me is the Exeter one. The rest really aren't local and I treat them the same as any other match. And please, it's a Devon derby, not a flipping Expressway derby, or whatever Errington insists on calling it

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Monster Green":3fxp0enp said:
The only 'derby' of any relevance to me is the Exeter one. The rest really aren't local and I treat them the same as any other match. And please, it's a Devon derby, not a flipping Expressway derby, or whatever Errington insists on calling it

And even that is over 40 miles away.

I think it is a case of clubs who don't have another team within their town or city, feel left out because they don't have a true derby and have to invent one and use terms like "old farm" or "expressway" to justify it

C

Connor Clarke

Lundan Cabbie":peebxq99 said:
Monster Green":peebxq99 said:

I think it is a case of clubs who don't have another team within their town or city, feel left out because they don't have a true derby and have to invent one and use terms like "old farm" or "expressway" to justify it

Very insightful

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No it's not, it's simply a load of bollox.

Albert, as we say in Plymouth, 'Keep you naus out of this'.

Aug 10, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":2odew0ai said:
loyal1970":2odew0ai said:
Lundan Cabbie":2odew0ai said:
GreenArmy1984":2odew0ai said:

Bristol Rovers is pushing this "local" derby thing. They are actually closer to AFC Wimbledon than Home Park.

Ah yeah, and then there's is the south of England derby against Southend if they fail to go up.
not sure what the problem is it has alway's been known as a westcountry derby end of story.

Aug 10, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1na3fggf said:
Monster Green":1na3fggf said:

so a derby's only a derby if there in the same city/town then is it, so what about your BIG match with bha.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
loyal1970":2a977m5s said:
Lundan Cabbie":2a977m5s said:
loyal1970":2a977m5s said:
Lundan Cabbie":2a977m5s said:
GreenArmy1984":2a977m5s said:

not sure what the problem is it has alway's been known as a westcountry derby end of story.

That's the point. If it needs a tag which isn't the name of a town or city then it is a made up one. The north east derby and The M62 derby. All made up.

Parkway v Argyle would be a proper derby. ;)

:whistle:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
loyal1970":3jct4wet said:
Lundan Cabbie":3jct4wet said:
Monster Green":3jct4wet said:

so a derby's only a derby if there in the same city/town then is it, so what about your BIG match with bha.

It's a big match because they're our main rivals but that doesn't make it a derby.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Devon derby is perfectly ok for me. Not westcountry, dockyard etc etc. Exeter are our rivals, same County, 30 mins up the road

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Monster Green":uy6xk55l said:
Devon derby is perfectly ok for me. Not westcountry, dockyard etc etc. Exeter are our rivals, same County, 30 mins up the road

I was going to concede to that...... and then you said 30 minutes! :lol:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":2dd71j8j said:
Monster Green":2dd71j8j said:

I was going to concede to that...... and then you said 30 minutes! :lol:

92.8 mph, Lundan!! Luckily it doesn't involve going saaaarff of the river!