Paul Wotton to equal Sammy Black's record? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Wotton to equal Sammy Black's record?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PL2 3DQ":2u85pg4y said:
memory man":2u85pg4y said:
UncleBuck":2u85pg4y said:
As a relatively recent convert to Argyle (Holloway era) I don't have quite the same nostalgic love for Wotton and so I judge him purely on what I've seen since those days. Sorry to say but being brutally honest I think he is poor quality. On the pitch I think he is poor and has been since the Championship days. When he signed for Southampton they soon sussed it out and shipped him on and he's never become established anywhere else.
He is very vocal on the pitch but not in a good way, my opinion only. If I were a young skillful player trying to establish my place and show what I can do then I'd be feeling most put out by having some gob on a stick hollering at me the whole time when he's a liability himself.
As for management or coaching? I've not seen any evidence that says I'd want to install his style and brand of football at my club. What does he know of modern passing football? He is a product of lower league hoof years.
All that said he is Mr Argyle and a local boy but a Steven Gerrard he is not.
It is a game of opinions and I agree 110% with yours on this. I think it is a properly considered view, extremely well presented.

A pity. The intention of this thread was to highlight the fantastic achievement that Paul Wotton is just two games away from equalling the legendary Sammy Black and three games away from going second on the all time appearance list for Argyle.

The club have a nice article on the official website.....

http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/seni ... 92335.aspx
I see that point too and the stats don't lie in terms of his longevity and number of appearances. I would never seek to discredit that aspect of his time here but, for some reason, he is not a player I ever warmed to. Uncle Buck's words so accorded with my view I felt it necessary to comment. I do think he had an outstanding season when we won the first promotion under Sturrock, but I have never been convinced by him in midfield. It is a strange game. For instance, I always thought Keith Lasley was a fantastic player but he did not prosper here and Paul Wotton has.